British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Jim Gleed

Saw Jim's name on another thread -I recall(I think) Jim riding for Hackney-mid sixties-was also at California Poppies I think-how is he anyone know??

Saw Jim's name on another thread -I recall(I think) Jim riding for Hackney-mid sixties-was also at California Poppies I think-how is he anyone know??

Well he was at the California reunion a few months ago. If you send me your email address I can send you a pic of him sitting on a very nice chrome JAP . . .

steve

Not sure he rode for Hackney (or that late at all) - could be wrong though! He did ride non league for Aldershot and probably rode in PL matches about that time but I cannot remember which teams. Maybe Poole - just thinking aloud, the old memory box is not what it was!!!!

Norbold I may indeed be mixing up Jim Heard and Jim Gleed-what is Jim Heard up to

jim gleed alive and well and lives near reading until recentely (andmay still be)worked in a timber yard he did ride for the poppies and signed for southampton but never rode also rode for a couple of other clubs at s.a.l. standard

Jimmy Gleed & Jim Heard both rode for Norwich Stars when the National Trophy was altered to 10-a-side. They were used in the 9 & 10 positions by the Stars for this competition and we reached the Final before going down to Belle Vue Aces.

Jimmy Gleed was a regular with the California Poppies in the old beloved Southern Area League whilst Jimmy (Jack?) Heard rode for the Rye House Roosters team in the same competition.

Both were popular riders at the time they came to ride for the Norwich Stars.

Jim Heard is also alive and well and living in Grays, Essex. He doesn't have much to do with speedway anymore, preferring to spend his time on the golf course. He does, however, keep in touch with former riders living nearby such as Terry Stone and Vic Ridgeon.

Thanx folks-glad the "Jims "are still ok