British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Leicester Hunters 1955 Team

Right, eyes down, fingers on buzzers...

We're going to use a 1955 Leicester Hunters team photo in the next issue of Classic Speedway magazine, but I urgently need your help to name the complete line-up (inc team manager).

Here's the link to the pic on our Retro Speedway website. Just click on the Leicester team pic to enlarge the image...

http://www.retro-speedway.com/extras/autog...autogallery.php

The pic will be used as part of our exclusive Derek Close interview. We know that Derek is second from right. We also know that Gordon McGregor is to his immediate right, with Ken McKinlay sat on the bike.

But can you fill in the gaps for us, please, so that we can present a full and correct caption? Please state left to right, etc, so it's clear who's who.

To help, here are the other riders who rode for Leicester in official matches that season, so, in theory, the names to the faces are among the following: L. Williams, R. Phillips, Charlie Barsby, Johnny Green, B. East, Brian Elliott.

Oh yeah, and I need your answer before 10.00am tomorrow (Thursday), cos that's when we go to press!

Many thanks for your help.

As a little incentive, the first forumite who confirms the full line-up will receive one copy of issue 4 of Classic Speedway FREE!!! Can't say fairer than that!

Cheers,

Tony Mac

OK Tony, here is my effort.Standing:?,Ron Phillips, Charlie Barsby ,?(manager),Gordon McGregor, Derek Close , ?.Hope that helps

On further thought the manager could be Ted Flanaghan.

Okay, I concur with Bobbath on Charlie Barsby and Ted Flanagan. I would also say that Bryan Elliott is NOT in the pic.

Steve

Edited by chunky

Guy on far left next to Ron Rhillips could be Johnny Green, Johnyy and Ron came to Leicester when Motherwell closed as did Derek.I agree with Chunky that Brian Elliott is not in picture.

Guy on far left next to Ron Rhillips could be Johnny Green, Johnyy and Ron came to Leicester when Motherwell closed as did Derek.I agree with Chunky that Brian Elliott is not in picture.

Actually, Bob, I think you'll find that Johnny Green is on the other end. Still researching the rest...

Steve

Okay stand by for the correct team. :lol:

Len Williams

Ron Phillips

Charlie Barsby

Ken McKinlay (on bike)

Ted Flanaghan (team manager)

Gordon McGregor

Derek Close

Johnnie Green

Edited by Gemini

You just beat me to it, Gemini! :(

Anyway, I confirm that you are correct.

Steve

Well done, Gemini (and the rest of you who have kindly tried to help)... a copy of Issue 4 will be on its way to you soon.

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Many thanks Tony. Much appreciated. :)

Well done Gemini-great to see some of those faces again-just on this subject is Ron Phillips still with us-I think he retired after Leicester but not sure

Tony Mac's posting re the Leicester 1955 picture(can't believe its 53 years ago-am I getting old or what!!) got me thinking-I noticed Ron Phillips had a jersey on and I reckon its the one he used to wear at Motherwell-so my question is -what were the Motherwll colours-I think black and white -but not sure.Forumfolks does anyone know the answer.Also Chunky in Kahokia(and what the heck are you doing living there anyway!!) I should have known Johnny Green was next to Derek and that the guy on the far left was Len Williams-I recognise him now-was his brother Stan Williams who was Clerk of the Course at Newport in the 60's and did Stan ever ride for any team??

Tony Mac's posting re the Leicester 1955 picture(can't believe its 53 years ago-am I getting old or what!!) got me thinking-I noticed Ron Phillips had a jersey on and I reckon its the one he used to wear at Motherwell-so my question is -what were the Motherwll colours-I think black and white -but not sure.Forumfolks does anyone know the answer.Also Chunky in Kahokia(and what the heck are you doing living there anyway!!) I should have known Johnny Green was next to Derek and that the guy on the far left was Len Williams-I recognise him now-was his brother Stan Williams who was Clerk of the Course at Newport in the 60's and did Stan ever ride for any team??

Motherwell's colours were black and white as you say, and Len's brother was Stan Williams who rode mainly at Sheffield - couldn't say if he was clerk of the course at Newport though.

Edited by Al Stewart

Hi Al Stewart-dug out my old Newport progs-and in 1965 shows Stan Williams as "General Manager and P.R. and it was definitely Len's brother. Did you go to Newport in 65 also-what a great season for the Wasps.

Stan Williams was one of the finds of Bluey Wilkinson and rode for Sheffield before the 1939 War at the same time as Paddy Mil[s & Aussie Powell. Stan was selected/retained by Sheffield Tigers in the 1946 share-out called "pooling" where he was joined by Tommy Allott, Tommy Bateman, Jack D White and Jack Bibby for the Northern League campaign. After yeoman service to the Tigers Stan joined Coventry. In view of later problems it was somewhat ironic that brother Len joined Leicester

Edited by star ghost