British Speedway Forum

Any news on Gary Cottham?

Just back from IOW:

Re Gary Cottham: Out of the meeting on those medical grounds after high speed first heat tangle with Jerran Hart entering 3rd bend, first lap - 'damage to wrist & forearm' was the info passed to myself to announce. Chatting to the Baseby crew on the midnight ferry back it would appear that hopefully nothing broken but certainly bad burn up said arm. I don't s'pose his bike was feeling too good either!

Jerran Hart also sustained burns to his arm in the same crash. Like Gary was able to 'walk away' after treatment

Bike trouble in re-run and in his second ride - he failed to finish each time - and five points from his last three rides was never going to be enough to see him through to semi.

Well done to Mark Baseby, Kyle Newman, and the two Wightlink Islanders Brendan Johnson and Ben Hopwood to clinching the last four qualifying spots for the final on April 24. See you there Bob C. Thanks to all youngsters taking part for some high speed action including plenty of passing!

A very enjoyable evening of speedway.

Mark Baseby a thoroughly deserving winner.Took both Newman and Johnson from the back,in seperate races.

Kyle Newman getting better every race.I was well impressed last week,but this performance was even better.

Brendan Johnson surprised me by riding at all! After his crash at Weymouth,and the severe bruising,this was an excellent result.

Ben Hopwood also deserves a mention.I dont always see eye to eye with him and his family,but he certainly deserves his place in the Final.

Ben Taylor seemed to be the fastest rider out there.Poor choice of gate in the semi final cost him.Gate 1 or 4 seemed to be the favourites,he chose 3!

Helmet colours and gates for the semi and Final were:

Semi: RED Taylor Gate 3,BLUE Johnson 4,GREEN Hopwood 1,YELLOW Strudwick 2

Final: RED Baseby 4,BLUE Newman 3,GREEN Johnson 1,Yellow Hopwood 2

The crash with Hart and Cottham was particularly nasty.They seemed to lock together going into arguably the fastest part of the circuit,turn 3.Both down for a while,thankfully both walking back to the pits.Although Jerran continued,he was clearly well below his best.Best wishes to both riders.

Im not a fan of all this semi and Final stuff.Much prefer the top scorer wins etc.So it was rather fitting that the best rider on view went on to win it

Congratulations Mark.

:wink: all in ozzie are well pleased with the semi result,both kyle and brendan are riders to watch out for

this season and next.they have a tough road ahead but with the right support they can be team gb riders in the future.

im also pleased that i and others will have the pleasure of bringing these two wonderfull young men out

to australia on the darren and sharon boocock scholarship this year.as i have said many times before both these

young men would be a great marketing tool to promote your company,or your support.roll on lakeside im sure it

will be a wonderfull night.well done lads :wink:

Superb from Bren tonight, third place with Bruises Ribs/Lung, bring on the final :approve:

Couldn't have said it better myself U³ - cracking and determined performance from Bren. :approve: Bet those ribs are aching today!

Heres a small selection of pics

Jules

http://www.juliemartinphotography.co.uk/Sp...2009/index.html

Can well recommend a visit to the above site as we could see Jules flashing away on the centre green all night as was our resident snapper at the Wave 105Fm stadium, David Valentine. His snaps being available in the photo shop next week. A highly enjoyable evening as I've said before! :wink:

Guest Steve Dixon
as we could see Jules flashing away on the centre green all night

Mmmm, missed that bit :unsure:

Great to see Kyle Newmann is stepping up another level this season. I was hugely impressed when I saw him last season and his scores this seaosn have been good can't wait to see more of him in future seasons.

Mmmm, missed that bit :unsure:

You didn't miss much I can assure you!!!!

if your half as good as your photos ,you will do me.

well done great photos

cheers

Ahh thank you tho I have several grey hairs appearing after the ride back to the ferry with Keith "Jenson Button" Newman :shock:

I was thinking of attending the final of this. I've not been to this meeting before, so I ask is in all seriousness is the racing competitive?. The standard of rider looks so variable on paper I wonder if Lewis Bridger and Tai Woffinden should be able to lap the rest of the field ?. :blink: