Best of Luck Tai and Joe B)

I'm predicting

1. Lewis Bridger

2. Tai Wofffinden

3. Ben Barker

4. Rob Mear

But hopefully Joe will sneak in there :wink:

Almost :wink:

Just got back from Lakeside, which was a damn sight quicker than getting there!! Delighted to meet Crazy Sue, Donna, Bob C and Lisa Colette there - hope our paths cross again. Also worth saying that that's the first time I've ever seen a huge queue at the turnstiles to get in there - people are usually fighting to get out!! :lol:

Congratulations to Lewis Bridger, who was clearly the best rider on the night and deserved his win, but I do have two gripes:

Firstly, the track was ohhhhh so slick. There were very few genuine passes all night and the majority of races passed almost entirely without comment on my programme. For a big meeting like this, why on earth could they not prepare a decent grippy track and showcase the sport with plenty of entertainment for the paying public?

Second, I might be accused of being a fuddy duddy, but the semi and final format just serves to undermine the event. It leads to injustices like Rob Mear, who had an otherwise excellent night, hitting a rut on the second bend of the semi while out in front and thereby missing the final, despite being joint 2nd top scorer. And frankly if it is supposed to ratchet up the tension and excitement, it doesn't work! Much better to stick to 20 heats and award the prizes on that basis alone.

One more little thing: is it possible for the promotion to turn on the speakers in the bar so we can hear announcements there? Thank you!!

Taken from http://www.speedwayupdates.co.uk

Texter: LisaCollette

Updater: Youngy

4. Brendan Johnson - 0, 2, 1, 0, 1 = 4

16. Kyle Newman - DQ, 2, 0, 0, 1 = 3

Heat Results

Heat 08: Barker, Johnson, Newman. No Time (Awarded)

Line Up: Johnson Barker Hopwood Newman

Comments: Hopwood fell on bend 2 lap 4 whilst in second. Race stopped and awarded.

Sponsored by The Media Gecko @ www.themediagecko.co.uk

© 2005-2009 All meetings are copyrighted to Speedway Updates, permission must be sought and we must be fully credited before they are used elsewhere.

Many thanx to LisaCollette and Youngy for this! :approve:

Can someone clarify.. By my reckoning both Bren and Kyle have been creditted with two points from their second rides - which seems to have been when they met each other in heat 8. :shock: Who did second place in that awarded race..?? :unsure:

Brendan Johnson got 2nd :wink:

Quite surprised that you didn`t know that Lakeside doesn`t do dirt Andy :wink::lol:

Well done Bren, 4 points tonight was a great result. :approve:

Just wish I could've made the meeting with the rest of the BDJ crew there tonight. :(

Edited by rabbit

Quite surprised that you didn`t know that Lakeside doesn`t do dirt Andy :wink::lol:

Very true, every time I go there I end up hugely disappointed. If anything, it was worse this time. In fact, it was worse than Coventry, and that's saying something!! :shock:

What was very noticeable was the time they spent grading every four heats. AFTER the grading there were huge bald patches on the track - it really did look like the M25!!

Edited by AndyM

Just got home from the meeting. Well done Lewis Bridger he was head and shoulders above the field and never really look troubled. My only dissapointments was the track which was quite frankly awful if u dared to leave the kerb on turns 1 and 2 and you were heading for trouble and the god awful music played just before the tapes went up it was ok in the 1st race but by the 22ns it was grating a bit.

I was really impressed with Mear, Haines and Auty and felt so sorry for Rob in the semi, rough justice IMO but overall quite a good meeting with a desrved winner

As a Hammers fan i will always try and naturally defend our track but tonight i will do no such thing.......why?

Because i cant!

IT WAS AWFUL!

Bald as the M25 and why the tractor kept on grading bare concrete i have no idea.

I thought after last seasons farcical ending (vs Swindon & Poole) i had seen the last of meetings like this at Lakeside but apparently not!

I am very angry because certain people at our club voice their opinions about how other people prepare their own tracks when maybe they should be taking a look at what they do themselves, thats all i have to say on this matter.

Thanks for your honesty, Marko. Any idea how on a beautiful day this could have been possible? Who made the decision to screw up such an important meeting for the track?

Thanks for your honesty, Marko. Any idea how on a beautiful day this could have been possible? Who made the decision to screw up such an important meeting for the track?

Ask Nobby Andy,he`s normally got all the shale on the bottom of his wellies after he`s walked around the track once :lol:

Good to see another Bees asset in Kyle Hughes doing well...although on updates he appears to have been credited with 0 lol

Not long got back, can't argue with the winner tonight Bridger was faultless fastest times, through the card. Well done to him! Well done to Joe and Rob aswell. Rob was extremely unlucky in the semi-final when he caught the hole in the track. Why is it there? A fair few riders caught that tonight.

Well just got back after a diversion to my parents to pick the children up.....a rather long diversion as I just had to stop for a cup of tea.

Not a bad meeting at all really, to be honest, didn't notice the track but that could have been because I was so far away from it! Watching from the bar is ok but you feel rather removed from it all but I suppose that is better than watching on the flat and only seeing the heads wizz by :D

Good to see BobC and Lisa Collette, Lisa for the first time and also meet up with AndyM again...thanks for the pint Andy.

Traffic was flowing nicely on the way there until we were less than 10 mins from the track and then it all came to a standstill and instead of arriving at 7.15ish, we got there just on 8pm! Thank goodness they delayed the start a tiny bit and Jon Cook split up the queue so that those with the correct change could go in a different way, otherwise we would still have been queuing at 8.30! I even dared to use my student card for the first time (I have always been too scared to use it) and was gratified that I wasn't laughed at for using it (I had had visions of someone saying "Student! Blooming old student" :D

All in all, I enjoyed myself and it made my birthday something more special this year.

I'm not going to say anything about the track as I've not the foggiest idea as to what is necessary to be done when it comes to preparing a track for any speedway meeting - that sort of thing isn't, and never has been my forte unlike others.

What I would inform people here on this thread is some facts and firstly there was a British Speedway press conference scheduled to start at 1pm in the Raceway Tavern at the stadium at which TeamGB team manager Rob Lyon revealed his 12 strong squad to the press and Sky as he looks forward to this year's assault on the World Team Cup. Unfortunately though, due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, and certainly nothing whatsoever to do with the Lakeside Hammers management, that press conference was very late starting.

Consequently that had a 'knock on' effect in that it meant that the official, and quite lengthy scheduled afternoon practice session that was part of the itinery for the day and to which all riders competing in the evening's British Under 21 Championship Final were fully entitled to participate in, was considerably later starting than had originally been scheduled and, as a result I'm told the track dried up much more than it would have done if everything had been able to run to schedule and, of course, there was much less time available to re-prepare the circuit in between the end of that practice session and the start of the meeting.

They are facts - nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Bryn