British Speedway Forum

It wasn't dusty though, Bryn, which you would expect if it had dried out, and it wasn't watered during that match either. Irrespective of the press conference, it just looked woefully under-prepared.

Finally back! Was a good meeting although it did get a bit prosessional towards the end, not sure what was happening on bend 2 seemed to catch every rider out apart from bridger! :unsure: Though i do have an earache from the lewis bridger fanclub now!! Not that i'm complaining, but why were they booing tai for?? :shock::unsure: Can i not go anywhere without someone being booed! :blink:

Was good to meet Sue and AndyM for the first time and a well done to lewis bridger, joe haines and tai woffinden on their rostrum places, feel bad for ben barker, was trying a bit too hard in the final, i think.

It wasn't dusty though, Bryn, which you would expect if it had dried out, and it wasn't watered during that match either. Irrespective of the press conference, it just looked woefully under-prepared.

With respect AndyM, what exactly do you mean by under-prepared because I wouldn't have a clue!

I'm told that it became quite dusty during the course of what was a very lengthy, late-starting practice. I can only go on what I'm told concerning that as I did not see any of the practice session personally as I was manning the phone in the speedway office answering a multitude of phonecalls and attending to other matters that need doing prior to any meeting and the phonecalls I refer to included at least four 'is it on' calls; five calls asking for directions to the circuit from various locations including one from someone in Edgware to which I admit even I didn't have a clue if the truth be known but when I finally got the caller to admit they knew where the M25 was able to direct from them. Then, and only then after a rather lengthy and somewhat painful conversation, said person asked for the track's postcode so they could put it in their SatNav thingie! :rolleyes:

As I said my posting above was just a statement of facts - nothing more, nothing less. Although I can't see much out of the Speedway Office window, once the sound of bikes finally ceased (leading me to believe that practice was finally over) I di notice the waterbowser making several trips backwards and forwards outside.

With respect AndyM, what exactly do you mean by under-prepared because I wouldn't have a clue!

With no disrespect to you, Bryn, I meant that there was a large pot hole on the second bend and a track almost totally devoid of shale. If that isn't underprepared, what is?

Strange day out.Left Poole at 2pm,and easy travel up to 3 miles from that bloody tunnel! 50 minutes later,we finally get through to the darkside! :blink: Then we found ourselves locked out of the car park,until 5.30pm. Whats that about,anyone?

Got our place on the backstraight,on the stockcar track by the rider entry to the circuit.Find this a great place to watch the action.Brendans Nan,Mr Rabbit (Al) and myself were joined by PhilK+daughter Ellie,Adzmft,Chris(Ippo fan),BDJfan and UtdUtdUtd. As is normal when we meet,we always have a good laugh.My so called 'friends' who reminded me of recent Poole results,be warned,we will be back :wink: I have also marked your cards for future revenge!!!

Only spoilt by the neanderthal Bridger supporters next to us.Everytime Wuffy was on track,their language had to be heard to be believed.Cheering when he crashed in ht1,asking the other riders to 'put him through the fence next time'.Same everytime he was on track.Shameful behaviour from so called adults.

While I admit Bridger was easily the best rider on the night,soley for the reasons above,boy was I willing ANYONE to stop the inevitable.

A couple of moans.....why oh why did it take so long to run? Just under 3 hours is ridiculous.I know there were some reruns,but over 20 mins for the semi and Final? I know the score regarding new tyres etc,but come on.Poor track,leaving no real chances for passing.

Good to meet AndyM,Crazy Sue and many others.Im sure our paths will cross again.Great drive back,in just a tad over 2hrs.

For our friend in Aussie,namely Marcusthepom.........

Both Kyle and Brendan were under no illusions that this was going to be anything but tough.So it proved.Both taking tumbles,and Kyle had an ef,when in a scoring position.All good experience for the future though.Not disgraced,and more importantly,neither rider discouraged.Both smiling at the end,although naturally disappointed.

With no disrespect to you, Bryn, I meant that there was a large pot hole on the second bend and a track almost totally devoid of shale. If that isn't underprepared, what is?

Now I don't KNOW why AndyM so this is pure speculation on my part, nothing more, nothing less - perhaps, just perhaps the seeming problem on the second bend was something to do with the lengthy afternoon practice? Certainly there hasn't been a problem there in any previous meeting so far this year.

As for shale, certainly there was plenty on the track at 11.15am tod... yesterday as it is now when we arrived at the stadium. One presumes that Gerald Richter, the trackman, felt he could not just dump a load of fresh shale on the circuit after the afternoon practice finally came to it's conclusion as he wouldn't have time between then and the start of the meeting to ensure that it was evenly distributed around the circuit, packed in and watered properly? As I said I don't know and am merely hypothesising there as I was manning the phones etc but there have been plenty of other threads on this forum of late where it seems that there has been vociferous pleas for extra shale to be laid on circuits and riders have then had trouble negotiating same?

That's enough from me now - sleep beckons! :lol:

Crap meeting. Track was way to slick and the hole on bend 2 caused problems. Went on way too long as well like last year. Why grade concrete for so long every four heats?

Major problem is the top six were fine, but the rest were wobblers, who struggled to stay on all evening around a track that technical and tight. If more dirt was put on then it would have been carnage with the wobblers of the NL.

The brainless dwarf rode to form in the meeting. Wild in the extreme and made himself look a complete plonker in the final. Barker off one tried to take Bridger off four out to the m25, but was so determined to stuff Bridger he turned to late and hit the fence, while Bridger made the cut back. Priceless. The kid has no brain.

Bridger looks a different rider this season. Woffinden was poor from the starts all night and had problems with bend two on a couple of occasions as well as engine trouble in one race.

Haines plugged away without looking that good and made the most of others mistakes. One of those occasions was the Semi where Mear hit the front, but hit the hole on bend 2 and locked it up and allowed Haines a free run as the others were impeded by Mear. Mear was sharp from the gate all night and was worthy of a rostrum place.

Auty quick, but can't gate to save his life.

Best of the rest were Hughes, Smart and Courtney who were steady. The rest were wobbling all over the place and just trying to stay on.

Don't think Lakeside have done alot for the meeting in the last two years so would advocate a move to elsewhere. Organisation hasn't been the best and the track surface and tightness means half of the field are not competitive.

Edited by Chris

Congratulations to Lewis, by the sounds of it a worthy winner.

He said pre-season he was going to knuckle down this season and work on his fitness, diet and took advice from the best, Nicki Pederson.

Well it looks like it is paying off, may this be the first of many, Lewis!!

"Haines plugged away without looking that good and made the most of others mistakes. One of those occasions was the Semi where Mear hit the front, but hit the hole on bend 2 and locked it up and allowed Haines a free run as the others were impeded by Mear. Mear was sharp from the gate all night and was worthy of a rostrum place. "

Im more than likely going to get slated for this but ohwell.. I think that comment was abit unfair to be totally honest with you. Rob Mear made a mistake yes, but any other rider would of taken advantage of it regardless. He deserved a rostrum place yes but so did Ben Barker in all fairness. Joe rode his nuts off tonight, so much so he blew one of his engines.. and i think he deserves a little bit more credit. He made gates and rode clever lines and plugged away like he always does.

Bridger broke the curse bless him. A long time he's waited for this and he deserves it!

Auty was quick, couldnt gate.. but then again he never has. Natural born racer.

Simon Lambert was impressive. Gated well, looked comofrtable out front and quick! Also only missed out on the Semi Final by one point and im quite suprised no-one has mentioned him?

It was a nightmare to get there, god damn M25! Racing wasnt the best to be honest and it was freezing! Track was dry and bald.

Edited by Angel Eyes

Major problem is the top six were fine, but the rest were wobblers, who struggled to stay on all evening around a track that technical and tight. If more dirt was put on then it would have been carnage with the wobblers of the NL.

The rest were wobbling all over the place and just trying to stay on.

Don't think Lakeside have done alot for the meeting in the last two years so would advocate a move to elsewhere. Organisation hasn't been the best and the track surface and tightness means half of the field are not competitive.

Chris,there was always going to be a gap between the different levels.There was an almost difinitive difference between the 3 Leagues.It showed quite clearly.Just as it should do.Surely,you must realise that every rider there last night had to start somewhere? I do take exeption to you calling them wobblers.Half the field had to qualify for the Final,so earnt the right to be there.Please,dont be so disparraging of them.

Bryn.....not trying to shoot the messenger,honest guv! You said that the pre meeting GB announcements over ran and delayed practice.This is excatly whats wrong with British Speedway.Friday was or should have been all about the GB U21's Final,nothing else.Poor planning from the BSPA or whoever,AGAIN led to this unsatisfactory situation.Doing it on the cheap.Those at the top couldnt organise a p*** up in a brewery.When are the powers that be going to put the riders first? Im not saying that this would have affected the result,but it does make me wonder where the sport in this country is heading.

I do agree with Chris about where this meeting should be held.I went to every single U21 Final at Canterbury.Saw some fantastic meetings over the years.I have to ask the BSPA,why Lakeside? Last year and this year were pretty poor meetings,tbh.Im not having a go at them at all.I know this subject has been raised before.Where are all the subsequent rounds for the World Championships being held? Small trick tracks like Lakeside or the larger Continental style tracks? We need to get the best riders through,and give them,and us a fighting chance. This meeting should be held on one of the larger circuits like Swindon,Coventry,Sheffield,Peterborough.Get the riders in the right frame of mind for the rest of the tournament.As I said earlier,it just so happens the best riders on the night probably would have made it anyway.

Rant over.Have a nice day,peeps! :wink:

well.....what an interesting trip that was. Got lost going to the track, purely as coming from cambridge I was reading from the south, duh I know :(

meeting - awful, I cant believe how bad the track was, the only passing was when a lesser rider made the gate, but apart from that, could predict it after a heat or 2. Woeful! And....what a stupid, stupid delay between the 20th heat and the semi, big enough delays with all that going on! Also....the entrance, what a pathetic way to do thing, 300 people wanting to get in, as they can hear the event starting, and you have to pay, then cross the cue to get in. I wont be going to Lakeside again if I dont have to.

I absoultely hate the winner off the event, Bridger. Never really like his attitude, but as Bob said, can see why with the Idiots cheering him on, ridiculous, even supported the out of control Ben Barker! Really, really really wanted Lewis to have an E/F on that last lap, just so can get some payback to the planks cheering everyones e/f and falls.

Kyle Hughes impressed me, looked the best off the next step below riders.

Nice meeting up with , Al, B'nan, Phil, Ellie, Adz, Chris and Brens fan.

Edited by UnitedUnitedUnited

Like many others, I felt this was worth going along to. It was entertaining but didn't quite hit the heights as the track was mediocre particularly with the hole or ridge in bend two. The young guys tried so hard and deserve every credit. Lewis was a very worthy winner. But he so nearly had it ripped away from him. Tony Steele briefly put the red stop lights on during the Grand Final when Lewis was winning easily and Ben Barker had remounted in plenty of time. Thankfully none of the riders noticed as pandemonian would have ensured. I can only think that having failed to put the red lights on in time in HT 8, Tony Steele overreacted. Thankfully Tony Steele's flash didn't ruin the meeting!

well.....what an interesting trip that was. Got lost going to the track, purely as coming from cambridge I was reading from the south, duh I know :(

Brens fan.

Why dont you just say.......MUMMY! :lol::lol:

Agree 110% wrong track for this meeting imo!

Would much prefer it at say Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Coventry, as Chris rightly points out the surface and tightness of track meant alot of the riders were not competitive which is a real shame at such an important event.

Fully deserved win by Bridger, by far the best rider on show.