British Speedway Forum
Rebel 77

White City Rebels 1976 - 1978

Hard to read about the White City Rebels without remembering that the Rebels team had moved from Oxford the previous season leaving Oxford fans with a fight, albeit successful on that occasion, to save the stadium at Cowley. But it was too late to keep the then Oxford Rebels at Cowley and we moved into the lower division with a revamped Cheetahs side with the 'friendly promoters' Harry Bastable and somebody Allsop at the helm. So that was really Oxford's championship title that White City won with a team honed at Cowley, less Dag Lovaas!!!

Although I saw several 'big' meetings at White City I never went there to see the Rebels. Should have done really.

Regards

I have great memories of the White City Stadium.

It was big and fast. Great for riders like Pusey, Collins etc.

John Jackson was spectacular riding for Wolves in one meeting.

Queens Park Rangers played some matches there in the 60s and it was one of the 1966 World Cup venues.

Does anyone remember the (running!) races for spectators where you got a cash prize for the winner?

QPR had more than one whole season playing home games there in fact... The last time being 1963 (I think..)..

Anyone remember when Richard Greer's bike caught the running board at the base of the fence and he rode on with it trailing behind him..!! :shock: One of the first few Rebels' home meetings in '76..!!

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Hard to read about the White City Rebels without remembering that the Rebels team had moved from Oxford the previous season leaving Oxford fans with a fight, albeit successful on that occasion, to save the stadium at Cowley. But it was too late to keep the then Oxford Rebels at Cowley and we moved into the lower division with a revamped Cheetahs side with the 'friendly promoters' Harry Bastable and somebody Allsop at the helm. So that was really Oxford's championship title that White City won with a team honed at Cowley, less Dag Lovaas!!!

Although I saw several 'big' meetings at White City I never went there to see the Rebels. Should have done really.

Regards

"Less Dag Lovaas" was it. I think Dag had told them he wasn't coming over but was still named and they had the pick of the league as guests to replace him. It probably made "Dag Lovaas guest replacement" the top rider at White City that season. Also they decided to let the fabulous Rick Hellsen go but that was a big advantage to the great Kings Lynn Stars and he gave K L some magnificent service over the years following that

Together with this prog I found a World Team Championship UK Round (that's what it said on the front!) prog, dated Sunday May 18th 1980 at 3pm, venue King's Lynn and featuring England, New Zealand, Australia and USA. Sponsored by Gauntlet hand picked used cars, cost 35p. Winners were England on 42 points from USA on 31 points, Australia on 14 and NZ on 9.

Remember it well. The idea was that I was going to be a spectator at this, but that didn't quite go to plan. Started of with being asked to help Mann Egerton move some of the TR7's that they were using to push the Gaunlet brand from the town centre to Saddlebow Road....I didn't need much persuading on that score ....Come the afternoon, and Mick McKeown turned up with no spannerman and I ended up helping him. It was a red hot day, and I get burnt to a cinder

"Less Dag Lovaas" was it. I think Dag had told them he wasn't coming over but was still named and they had the pick of the league as guests to replace him. It probably made "Dag Lovaas guest replacement" the top rider at White City that season. Also they decided to let the fabulous Rick Hellsen go but that was a big advantage to the great Kings Lynn Stars and he gave K L some magnificent service over the years following that

Not quite true, though you are right Dag was unavailable for the whole season. The facility awarded was season long Rider Replacement, with very few guests utilised. Paul Gachet was injured very early in the season and his absence was covered by NL riders.

When you consider that riders like Kennett, Geer and Niemi were taking extra rides all season it was some feat to hold on for the title. I am sure I have read somewhere (probably by John Berry) that it was the Dugard's links with Weslake that was the key factor in the Rebels triumph.

ahhhh the memories.

Went down to White City, i think it was a bank holiday because we went to Wimbledon for the Embassy Internationale meeting on the night. Anyway think we set of from Hull about 6 in the morning, to get to Wood Lane for lunch time. We hade a quick look at Television Centre then found a little pub over the back of white city for a couple of pints.

The main event.....WHITE CITY REBELS V HULL LADA VIKINGS. I remember Mitch Graham emerging from the changing rooms and rearranging the WHITE CITY REBELS boards to read WIT CHITY BERELS ....That was funny after a few pints.

I also remember Hull won by about ten point's...also think there was a half point in there aswell. In the second half the top scoring riders rode for the Benidorm Cup........and we won that as well. The hull team was , i think..IVAN,BOBBY BEATON,JOE OWEN,MITCH GRAHAM,MIKE CUROSO,TOM OWEN, FRANK AUFFRET.......AWSOME!. BRILLIANT DAY. :lol:

Just to correct you Parsoles - Speedway open meetings were ran at White City for the last time in 1983!

White City stadiums demise has always 'riled' me no end but even more so nowadays particularly when near neighbours QPR FC are owned by wealthy owners who could of turned White City into their new home and other sports like speedway could of been retained for open meetings!

White City was demolished in the mid 80's, QPR became wealthy a couple of years ago.

White City was not suitable for Football with both a dog track and a speedway track round it. Also, I heard that the place was stuffed with asbestos.

ahhhh the memories.

Went down to White City, i think it was a bank holiday because we went to Wimbledon for the Embassy Internationale meeting on the night. Anyway think we set of from Hull about 6 in the morning, to get to Wood Lane for lunch time. We hade a quick look at Television Centre then found a little pub over the back of white city for a couple of pints.

The main event.....WHITE CITY REBELS V HULL LADA VIKINGS. I remember Mitch Graham emerging from the changing rooms and rearranging the WHITE CITY REBELS boards to read WIT CHITY BERELS ....That was funny after a few pints.

I also remember Hull won by about ten point's...also think there was a half point in there aswell. In the second half the top scoring riders rode for the Benidorm Cup........and we won that as well. The hull team was , i think..IVAN,BOBBY BEATON,JOE OWEN,MITCH GRAHAM,MIKE CUROSO,TOM OWEN, FRANK AUFFRET.......AWSOME!. BRILLIANT DAY. :lol:

[/quote

When I think of White City, I always remember the Overseas final oF 1982 I think, when Bruce Penhall threw the race to enable his fellow Americans to get a World final berth. did'nt Penhall get the bird that afternoon!!!, I think he lost a lot of respect that afternoon.

Tony

Remember how, at the end of White City meetings, the riders would walk the length of the centre green from the pits before disappearing down an underground tunnel that led to the dressing rooms?

The track was wide and fast enough and produced some fine races - PC has possibly never ridden better (in England) than he did that day in '77 to win the ICF. Think he came from the back to win five times.

And remember Penhall and Carter clashing and both falling off, in near slow motion, at the OF in 1981 - the day their simmering feud became general public knowledge and how ITV made the most if it.

John Davis refusing to leave the track after being excluded for knocking off Mauger in the 1977 ICF - a very harsh decision that cost him his world final place that year.

Mort beating Penhall to win the run-off for the 1980 ICF - nice to see a real crowd-pleaser come out on top.

Pity that England failed to qualify for both of the WTC finals held there, in 1976 & '79. Still, it gave the Aussies and Kiwis the chance to make history.

Personally, from a fan's perspective, the racing (viewed from high up in the stands) in league matches never seemed so good, although I didn't visit more than six times a season, to be fair. The fans were quite a way from the track and the riders seemed to be going in slow motion. There was little sense of speed and the four riders often got too spaced out. And because crowds for domestic meetings were so low, there was very little atmosphere.

Remember Bo Petersen making his Hawks debut at WC at the start of 1978. Dave Mort enjoyed the big track and so did Finn Thomsen, who finished third in the 1979 ICF, won by Mike Lee. Remember the big buzz when Lee made his international debut v the Rest of the World at WC in May 1977?

Richard Greer has been interviewed for the next issue of Backtrack and he obviously talks about his season with the Rebels in 1976. The most memorable part for him was featuring in that Blue Peter TV programme, as mentioned previously on here.

He also recalled that, in their efforts to drum up entertainment for the fans, promoters Bob Dugard and Danny Dunton arranged for various 'acts' to appear at the Wood Lane venue, including rock band Hawkwind (of Silver Machine fame). They even had a female belly dancer performing in front of the crowd one night. Much more exciting than Gordon Kennett!

Edited by tmc

ahhhh the memories.

Quite right hullangel, it was a brilliant day. Vikings won 44 1/2 to 33 1/2 (caused by a Mitch Graham/Paul Gachet dead heat fir first place). It was a bank holiday, May 31 1976. I've still got the programme. Vikings also won again in 78, this time on a Tuesday in July. White City had a full strength team, Vikings had Chris Morton guesting for Ivan Mauger, Kelly Moran, Bobby Beaton, Frank aufrett, Tom Owen and Robbie Blackadder. R/r for Joe Owen. Vikings won 42-36, and White City protested the equipment used by Tom Owen and Robbie Blackadder.

The July fixture was also the first half of a double header, the second match being White City v Swindon. This was notable for all four riders in heat one being excluded for exceeding the two minute warning, with the same fate applying to all four reserves scheduled to take their place. The second heat saw the Swindon reserves (David Ashby and Robert Henry) excluded again, so the score after heat two was5-0 to WC. The entire match was also run with green light starts after the start gate failed! Bizarre! Our journey thereand back that day was punctuated by the minicoach we had hired breaking down several times.

White City actually turned up in 77 and beat the Vikings 54 - 24.

I went to all three meetings, plus the Intercontinetal final and the World Team Cup final - it always helped being the away trip organiser for the supporters club. Brilliant place and great memories.

He also recalled that, in their efforts to drum up entertainment for the fans, promoters Bob Dugard and Danny Dunton arranged for various 'acts' to appear at the Wood Lane venue, including rock band Hawkwind (of Silver Machine fame). They even had a female belly dancer performing in front of the crowd one night. Much more exciting than Gordon Kennett!

I also seem to remember that they had go go dancers as well to try and pull in the crowds.

It was a crying shame about the lack of crowd as the houses and flats that made up the White City estate one would have thought that a lot more would have gone to support a local team.

I also seem to remember that they were in trouble with the race relations board at one point when they offered any coloured male over 16 the chance to have a go and they would loan them a bike and leathers.

Felt sorry for Bob and Danny because in 3 seasons they had a good team and won the league but still could not draw in enough of a crowd to run at a profit.

AND NOW ITS A BLUDDY CAR PARK!!!!!!!

My, oh my...: for all of us who just LOVED the grand old place check THIS out..

Bloody great to see the place in all its glory. Crazy chase scene though...: and why didn't the hero follow age old tradition in such chases and climb onto the roof!!?? :lol:

Man in A Suitcase reminds me of that gaffe in the Wimbledon prog when the writer was trying to be clever and referred to the diminutive King brother, Jason as the 'Rider in the Suitcase', picking up on the character name he shared with the hero of that series.. Only to be corrected by the baying Pitbend Loonies telling him (okay, okay it was ME!! :blink: ) that of course Jason King was the character in Department S... :oops:

Man in A Suitcase reminds me of that gaffe in the Wimbledon prog when the writer was trying to be clever and referred to the diminutive King brother, Jason as the 'Rider in the Suitcase', picking up on the character name he shared with the hero of that series.. Only to be corrected by the baying Pitbend Loonies telling him (okay, okay it was ME!! :blink: ) that of course Jason King was the character in Department S...:oops:

Aah... Peter Wyngarde, another great blast from the past...

Anyway, my memories:

The 1976 Grand Prix Final, my first time at the track.

The General Smuts pub just round the corner in Bloemfontein Rd.

John Davis missing out on the 1977 World Final after that clash with Mauger.

The Aussies winning the 1976 World Team Cup.

All that bloody dust that used to affect the Sunday afternoon meetings!

The 1977 ICF.

As already mentioned, the 220 bus and the Central Line trains.

The last meeting in 1978 against Bristol, and watching Steve Gresham win the second half final from the centre green.

Steve

All that bloody dust that used to affect the Sunday afternoon meetings!
Len Silver track curator?