British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rebel 77

How Much Was It

How much was it to get into your local track when you first started to watch ? :unsure:

How much much did the riders earn,was a number 1 paid the same per point as a number 7 :blink:

I can't remember exactly, but I think the entrance fee was slightly less than 50p at Wimbledon in 1970 (it would've been pre-decimalisation, 7/6 comes to mind) and a programme was between 5 and 10p.

Interestingly, using a conversion calculator, your 50p in 1971 (decimal) is worth a bit over £9 today (as compared to average income) so maybe speedway hasn't gone up as much as we think.

How much was it to get into your local track when you first started to watch ? :unsure:

How much much did the riders earn,was a number 1 paid the same per point as a number 7 :blink:

1946. Belle Vue [Hyde Road, of course].

Admission: Popular Side - 1 shilling and sixpence [decimal = 7.5p]

Grandstand Side - 2 shillings and sixpence [decimal = 12.5p]

Programme: 6d [decimal = 2.5p]

As far as I can remember all riders were paid on a starts and points basis at £1 per start and 10 shillings per point. There was no 'appearance' money.

Also in that era there was no sponsorship of either club or riders.

Edited by Ron Butler

Admission: Popular Side - 1 shilling and sixpence [decimal = 12.5p]

Grandstand Side - 2 shillings and sixpence [decimal = 20.5p]

As far as I can remember all riders were paid on a starts and points basis at £1 per start and 10 shillings per point. There was no 'appearance' money.

Not that the club needed it.

At those rates, with an average crowd of 10,000 paying the lowest entrance and not buying a programme, they would've been hauling in £750 a meeting and paying maybe 7 quid to their best rider.

In 1962 it used to cost me the kids' rate of one shilling and threepence (6p) to get into Meadowbank, plus sixpence (2.5p) for the programme. The adult admission was two shillings and sixpence (12.5p).

This was the Provincial League, equivalent to today's Premier League. Riders were paid £1 per start and £1 per point, so a heat win was worth £4. I don't think there were too many variations in that, but different riders would be paid different "signing on fees", as happens today. At that time, the winner of the World Championship at Wembley received a massive £500. I believe the cost of a complete bike (JAP) was around £300. A rider who broke the tapes was fined £1.

I'm not sure that comparisons with today based on inflation are valid, but it can be interesting to compare these figures with other everyday costs at that time. A fish supper was around one shilling and sixpence (7.5p) and a Mars Bar was sixpence (2.5p). It was about eighteen inches long, of course. Petrol was, I think, two shillings and sixpence per gallon (2.5p per litre).

I think you'll find that was 12.5p, Ron. You'll remember there being 8 half-crowns in a pound, not to mention thirteen shillings and fourpence being two-thirds of a pound etc.

they would've been hauling in £750 a meeting and paying maybe 7 quid to their best rider.

Always assuming that their "best rider" only scored 5 from 4 (5 points at £1 each plus fouir starts at 10/- each). You must have been thinking of Glasgow, DK.

Admission: Popular Side - 1 shilling and sixpence [decimal = 12.5p]

That's about the same admission money as I paid at New Cross, also in April 1946.

Agree with the rider costs but would add that they then also had machine maintenance and travel money on top of their points money. A clean sweep of a 12 point maximum, two second half wins, equals £18. Start money - I think this was £1 a start in NL Division One. That would be race earnings of £24 in 1946 - what's that worth today?

Edited by speedyguy

I think you'll find that was 12.5p, Ron. You'll remember there being 8 half-crowns in a pound, not to mention thirteen shillings and fourpence being two-thirds of a pound etc.

Always assuming that their "best rider" only scored 5 from 4 (5 points at £1 each plus fouir starts at 10/- each). You must have been thinking of Glasgow, DK.

Yes, I realised later that 10 quid was nearer the mark.

That's about the same admission money as I paid at New Cross, also in April 1946.

Agree with the rider costs but would add that they then also had machine maintenance and travel money on top of their points money. A clean sweep of a 12 point maximum, two second half wins, equals £18. Start money - I think this was £1 a start in NL Division One. That would be race earnings of £24 in 1946 - what's that worth today?

According to my little calculator, just short of £2300 against average earnings, out of gate money of about £72,000, a tidy sum!

Based on the retail price index £24 would = £720 today ... based on avarage earnings £2,300.. its is very complicated working out money values.. and there is no right or wrong way.. and there are more ways than the 2 mentioned

Based on the retail price index £24 would = £720 today ... based on avarage earnings £2,300.. its is very complicated working out money values.. and there is no right or wrong way.. and there are more ways than the 2 mentioned

My calculator gives me five options, I only chose the average earnings as it's probably the one most people could easily relate to.

I can remember paying 55p to get into Coatbridge in the mid-seventies . But before that my dad paid or he lifted me over the turnstile ( which was the norm at speedway and football in those days ) .

Thanks for that, Ian.

Both my admission price conversions were incorrect. They have been amended.

Wimbledon main grandstand (child's admission) including the programme 50p, in 1976. It was cheaper at the non-grandstand entrance, but can't what 35p or 40p.

Roughly the same price at White City & Hackney, if I remember. Can't remember Crayford's admission price though.

Happy days, could go along to two or three meetings a week, somtimes to four venues :rolleyes: .

When I first went to the Firs in 1946 riders were on a sliding scale under rider pooling system.)Programmes were 6d each. In 1964 we paid 2/6 for the terraces but this was reduced to 2/- if we had supporters cards.Programmes were still 6d each. I reckon we got it cheap as we had the Worlds best ever in our team