British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rsarjant

Cardiff Gp By Train

Has anyone tried to get out of Cardiff after the GP (or after anything at the Millenium Stadium for that matter) by train before? Are the trains often too packed to get on? Thanks for any help.

Has anyone tried to get out of Cardiff after the GP (or after anything at the Millenium Stadium for that matter) by train before? Are the trains often too packed to get on? Thanks for any help.

Parked the car in Newport before and gone by train to Cardiff. Train fullish on way back after meeting but this years start time of 5pm will be a major godsend to anyone travelling by train-i would imagine with the meeting over by 8.30 one will be able to get trains to London,Birmingham etc.

We were looking at getting the train but apparently we'd have to leave before the GP finishes, then spend the night in either Piccadilly or Birmingham, then continue home the next day. Leaving before the GP? I'd rather walk! :lol:

Two years ago we stopped in Newport and trained in and out of Cardiff on the Saturday. Getting back to Newport on the train after the GP was highly organised as each departing train had a separate queue organised OUTSIDE the station and you were only allowed onto the platforms when the trains were ready. However if you remember two years ago it was hoying it down with rain and there was no cover for the queues which were in effect in the station car-park. As we were already soaked to the skin walking to the station the 45 minutes spent in the queue didn't really make

things all that worse although we had already by that point vowed never to do it again and hence have paid the exorbitant Cardiff hotel prices since then (we'd book a taxi if staying in Newport in future). I'm not sure about last year - I think I read that some of the last trains out of Cardiff may have been cancelled but can't comment for certain (although we had problems returning to the North East on the Sunday after the GP as there was 'maintenance' being carried out between Cardiff/Manchester which meant a long bus journey, missed connections and an unwanted detour via Darlington).

Edited by Boothers

Getting back to Newport from Cardiff by 'train' last year was a complete joke. When I say train I actually mean bus because the trains for some reason had been replaced by the shonkiest, oldest buses known to man. Added to this the 'driver' employed appeared to have no prior experience of driving coaches, stuggling to pull away from a standstill on most occasions.

The traffic through Cardiff was awful, not helped by the driver taking the worst route out of the city imaginable. When we got to the M4 it was also gridlocked. Instead of leaving the motorway sharpish and taking the main roads in to Newport, the know-nothing idiot up front stayed in the traffic for an extra 3 junctions before turning off to go in to Newport. In the end we got back to Newport train station at gone 1am.

Were goin the other way this year! Driving to Swansea on the friday and spending 2 nights there...getting the train to Cardiff lunchtimish and returning later after the meeting...not as much hassle as it sounds! Gives us the opportunity to relax around the Gower friday evening and do a bit of shopping in Swansea in the morning and then a quiet lunch before setting off to the bedlam that is Cardiff full of anor.....speedway fans in Cardiff centre! :blink:

Just been checking train departures times for Cardiff GP day-i am assuming meeting will be over by 8.30 and it is possible to get to London,Birmingham and Poole for example.

Cardiff dep 21.00

paddington arr 00.33 (change at Bristol also serves Swindon and Reading)

Cardiff dep 20.50

Birm arr 22.52

Cardiff dep 20.25

Poole arr 00.30 (change southampton )

hope above might help if anyone unsure whether to go by car or train.