British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jacques

Gb Swc Squad Announced

From the BSPA website;

Friday April 24, 2009

NEW Great Britain boss Rob Lyon is turning to the youngsters ahead of this summer’s Speedway World Cup.

Lyon, who took over the reins from Jim Lynch during the winter, has included several Under-21 stars including Tai Woffinden, who made his Great Britain debut in last year’s World Cup.

Ben Barker and Lewis Bridger, who will do battle alongside Woffinden in Friday’s British Under-21 Championship at Lakeside, are also included.

And Lyon has also confirmed the appointment of Scott Nicholls as skipper of the side – despite the rider himself sitting out British racing to cut down on his demanding schedule.

Said Lyon: “When I took the job I said we were looking at a long-term plan and that’s why we’ve turned to the younger lads.

“When you look down the squad I think people can see we have a bright future as a nation.”

Lyon will reduce the squad closer to the July tournament and each meeting features five riders in a team.

SQUAD:

Oliver Allen

Ben Barker

Lewis Bridger

Chris Harris

Edward Kennett

Danny King

Scott Nicholls ©

Lee Richardson

Joe Screen

Simon Stead

Tai Woffinden

James Wright

No doubt there'll be the usual..What's the point we won't win anything...blah ,blah, moan, moan and bitch :rolleyes: but........

On current form I'd be choosing;

Scott Nicholls ©

Chris Harris

Eddie Kennett

Lee Richardson

Tai Woffinden

Edited by Jacques

So he has gone for a young team by including Joe Screen? :unsure::rolleyes:

Just who has he actually missed out thats better than anyone listed? If we go solely on EL averages he's missed out Jordan Frampton Dave Norris and Phil Morris and used James Wright in stead.

Morris has an inflated average, Norris has been out of the sport for so long that's understandable On the other hand, where Jordan Frampton? You know, the guy in his first season of EL racing who has scored a maximum away from home?

If he was really going for youth he'd have no Screen, Richardson, Stead or Allen but Frampton, Tully, Mear and Auty.

The 5 I'd pick, one of Harris/Nicholls/Richardson. Then Kennett, Bridger, Woffinden and Danny King (in part based on the meeting being at Peterborough)

No doubt, as with previous managers who have gone with youth (and then dropped Stead for Louis), we'll end up with Harris, Richardson, Nicholls, Screen and Stead/Allen.

spot on about Frampton SCB he should definitely have been included......... I cant really fault the other choices though........ It is a nice balance of Youth and experience and no matter who is finally picked I hope the whole group are involved from start to finish..... along with Mear, Tully and Roynon for the ride

tbh I'm pleasantly suprised with the look of the squad ..... as things stand we have 5 riders 8+ standard...... even if the standard of the EL isnt what is used to be this still hasnt happened for a long long time........... and after all those years of Loram, Nicholls, Richardson, Screen etc we now have some youngsters starting to challenge them

personally if I was manager I would write off all chances of gaining success right now and build for the future..... no matter how much that would go down like a lead balloon with the paymasters....... team Great Britain has to start getting realistic and miracles are not performed overnight

3 of the guys would be automatic choices

Nicholls

Harris

Kennett

the rest would be evaluated, with current form, track expertise (over all SWC tracks involved), machinery, mentality all coming under the microscope

based on current form now and an eye on the future the final 2 spots would go to two of Bridger, Woffinden or King............ that would put Rico's nose out of joint but so be it

Edited by spook

Just who has he actually missed out thats better than anyone listed? If we go solely on EL averages he's missed out Jordan Frampton Dave Norris and Phil Morris and used James Wright in stead.

Morris has an inflated average, Norris has been out of the sport for so long that's understandable On the other hand, where Jordan Frampton? You know, the guy in his first season of EL racing who has scored a maximum away from home?

If he was really going for youth he'd have no Screen, Richardson, Stead or Allen but Frampton, Tully, Mear and Auty.

The 5 I'd pick, one of Harris/Nicholls/Richardson. Then Kennett, Bridger, Woffinden and Danny King (in part based on the meeting being at Peterborough)

No doubt, as with previous managers who have gone with youth (and then dropped Stead for Louis), we'll end up with Harris, Richardson, Nicholls, Screen and Stead/Allen.

No, Shawn, that is not his 'team'. That is the present 'squad' which he has said he will reduce by July. I feel that for a while he will have to mix youth with riders of greater experience. He will, I imagine, gradually drop the older riders as the youngsters become more experienced.

These younger men have little or no international experience thus the inclusion of men such as Screen, Stead and Nicholls. All babies need to be taught to crawl before they can walk.

And the same Jordan who got 2 on Wednesday at KL for Newport in the PL? Rob Lyon would have seen that?

Same Jordan who got 5 on Sunday?

Morris has had 2 meetings in the EL? In days gone by, that doesn't constitute publishing an average.

Why on earth would Kennettt be an automatic choice? :blink:

I'd go for the 2 GP riders and the top rated British rider in Europe to start with, add in the best prospect for the future and worry about the last place dependant on track conditions and opponents:

Nicholls

Harris

Richardson

Woffinden

1 from Stead, Kennett, Bridger.

And the same Jordan who got 2 on Wednesday at KL for Newport in the PL? Rob Lyon would have seen that?

Same Jordan who got 5 on Sunday?

It's what he does against the top men that matters, surely? Plus, he is a lot younger than Joe Screen so fit in a lot better with the giving youth a chance mantra Rob Lyons keeps banging out.

Morris has had 2 meetings in the EL? In days gone by, that doesn't constitute publishing an average.

Hence me saying "Morris has an inflated average" and discounting him :rolleyes: i might like Phil but even on his best day I'd not have him in the SWC squad.

Edited by SCB

It's what he does against the top men that matters, surely? Plus, he is a lot younger than Joe Screen so fit in a lot better with the giving youth a chance mantra Rob Lyons keeps banging out.

Hence me saying "Morris has an inflated average" and discounting him :rolleyes: i might like Phil but even on his best day I'd not have him in the SWC squad.

Your such a diplomat sometimes :lol:

No disrespect to the lads in the squad, but that really does indicate the pathetic strength in depth we have nowadays. Time was when we had a dozen or more genuinely world class riders to choose the WTC squad from. In those days, most of this squad wouldn't have got a look in. :neutral:

No disrespect to the lads in the squad, but that really does indicate the pathetic strength in depth we have nowadays. Time was when we had a dozen or more genuinely world class riders to choose the WTC squad from. In those days, most of this squad wouldn't have got a look in. :neutral:

Sorry mate,those days,just like your hair,have long gone :wink::lol::P

Sorry mate,those days,just like your hair,have long gone

Obviously. And you haven't even met me, either!! :lol::shock:

Perhaps we should recall PC, Mort, Mike Lee, Dave Jessup and Malc Simmons? :wink:

Obviously. And you haven't even met me, either!! :lol::shock:

Perhaps we should recall PC, Mort, Mike Lee, Dave Jessup and Malc Simmons? :wink:

Golden days Andy....although the only PC I recall is Phil Crump :approve::lol:

So are you suggesting he has an indifferent approach to the PL as a result?? The Elite League is not a fair reflection of Top Men in terms of Speedway World Cup standard.

On a more general point about the squad, I find it scary the depth of squad that Australia could assemble right now. Especially the likes of Darcy Ward and other teenage Aussies. Even though Tai is ours, he has come through the Aussie system....so my question is: how can Australia produce this conveyer belt of talent?

When you consider excuses for team GB have included 'too many foreigners in the EL', yet Australia doesn't have an EL or GP, but can still attract the talented kids to pursue it as a career.

Why on earth would Kennettt be an automatic choice? :blink:

I'd go for the 2 GP riders and the top rated British rider in Europe to start with, add in the best prospect for the future and worry about the last place dependant on track conditions and opponents:

Nicholls

Harris

Richardson

Woffinden

1 from Stead, Kennett, Bridger.

Agree with the point about Kennett. In the mix for a place, but no way an automatic selection. Bridger and Woffinden are better bets for the future.

Sorry mate,those days,just like your hair,have long gone

Naughty, naughty Dietbuster. Attack the post - not the poster's cranial deficiency!

:shock:

:sad:

:wub:

:lol:

:wink: