British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Happy Birthday

3rd May 1935. Hackney v New Cross, 1st Meeting at the Wick, Happy Birthday Hackney Speedway, I miss you

Me too Paul

Me too, though my time as a supporter was the late 70,s early 80,s with Thommo , Simmons, Galvin, etc etc!

Good old Hackney..... I can remember going as a kid and enjoying the Monkey nuts for 10p, the same as everyone else by the piles of shells everywhere!!! :rolleyes:

Not been back to Hackney area for many a year. I dare say its some sort of housing estate now!

Yes what is on the old Hackney stadium site??

I think the area is going to be used as part of the London Olympics, pretty sure the stadium is now demolished. I think I read the media centre or something along those lines, is to be built there :unsure:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

my company does regular deliveryies upto the "cauldron" that is the Olmpic site .. and i believe that on the site of the old stadium is a multi centre ... for the basketball, hand ball and also judo weightlifting competitions .

Yes. It's going to be an indoor arena as Sean says.

I recall getting on the bus in Stratford and going up the street of a thousand smells(Carpenters Rd.)-what was there anyway was it a slaughterhouse!!I recall Hackney hammering Wimbledon 57-21 in 1967, great meeting if you didn't like Wimbledon, also saw a Czech touring team there in the same year.Last visited there in 1972 and think I saw the only ever appearance of an American Timmy Joe Shepherd?? or was that 1975-might have been the latter.

I used to enjoy my friday nights at Hackney driving from Wembley to the stadium right across London. It might be my age but I seem to remember that every year they were the last London track to close at the end of the season and am I right in thinking that the last meeting of the season used to be the champions chase?

The stadium has now gone but I bet in twenty or thirty years time there will be more people with more memorys and stories of Hackney speedway and Len Silver than these bl**dy olympics.

I used to enjoy my friday nights at Hackney driving from Wembley to the stadium right across London. It might be my age but I seem to remember that every year they were the last London track to close at the end of the season and am I right in thinking that the last meeting of the season used to be the champions chase?

The stadium has now gone but I bet in twenty or thirty years time there will be more people with more memorys and stories of Hackney speedway and Len Silver than these bl**dy olympics.

I agree entirely with your views. All we'll remember about the Olympics in 30 years is that we'll still be paying for this masive folly.

Up the 'awks!