British Speedway Forum

Or why not keep the pairs at Somerset where it belongs. Newport get the Open on the Sunday. They whole point of the weekend is the variety. I dont want to be going Newport - Cardiff - Newport. Plus the track at Somerset in my mind is far superior to the one at Newport.

My friend, it's all about choice.

Several years ago Tim Stone decided to create a feast of weekend of speedway centred around the GP with a Friday evening match (often against the Glasgow Tigers, and what fantastic meetings they were) and an open meeting on Sunday.

The weekend provided a great opportunity for people already in the area for the GP to attend a selection of different style meetings, for the Newport fans to have an intense weekend of speedway with great crowds and excellent atmospheres and, of no little importance, it gave the Newport club much needed funds to survive through some pretty lean times of late.

Then the powers that be decided to give the pairs to Somerset (no problem with that in itself) and because it was a shared event banned Newport from running on the Friday night.

That meant anybody already in the South Wales area who didn't want to travel over the Severn Bridge and drive in intense Friday evening holiday and peak traffic lost their opportunity to see speedway on the Friday evening, the Newport fans were denied their chance of a cracker of a meeting against, for example, the Glasgow Tigers and the Newport promotion lost a lucrative income opportunity.

At least now people have the chance to choose what to do and where to go. I have no doubt the pairs will be an exciting meeting with some great racing.........but I wouldn't have gone. I will, however, be at QM on Friday night to see league racing with the exciting Hornets against Scunthorpe.

It's nice to have a choice B)

Anyway can anyone tell me what there is to do in Highbridge. I was thinking that to save hitting traffic my dad and I could maybe go to Highbridge early if there is anything there to keep us amused for a few hours.

Nothing to do in Highbridge, better to do what Phil said and spend the day in Burnham which is a few minutes up the road - It's also where I live! Weather is meant to be nice, so going up on the sea front could be an option for an hour or two and get something to eat along the sea front or through the high street.

Nothing to do in Highbridge, better to do what Phil said and spend the day in Burnham which is a few minutes up the road - It's also where I live! Weather is meant to be nice, so going up on the sea front could be an option for an hour or two and get something to eat along the sea front or through the high street.

What do you mean , nothing to do in Highbridge :shock: Myself and three other Tigers fans had a very enjoyable Friday afternoon pub crawl in Highbridge last season . An enjoyment which will be repeated on July 10th . :approve:

It's like a Ghost Town at the moment, everything seems to be closing.

can anyone please tell me what the qualifiying criteria was /is for this event ? as there seems to be a closed shop for who is involved, i no stokes promotion have asked the bspa for clarification but this was weeks ago and as yet as far as i am aware nothing has come back

I agree Kevan, how can it be the Premier League Pairs if all the teams from the Premier League are not included?

can anyone please tell me what the qualifiying criteria was /is for this event ? as there seems to be a closed shop for who is involved, i no stokes promotion have asked the bspa for clarification but this was weeks ago and as yet as far as i am aware nothing has come back

Looks as if it's decided on averages , as Glasgow are number 2 seeds and Parker and Grieves are 3rd and 4th in the averages . But i can understand you feeling hard done by as Bunyan ( past winner ) and Complin would have put up a decent showing .

same as last yr i guess, lynn didnt qualify due to ht15 results in the premier trophy, meaning topinka and doolan not there, and i think tbh it was potentially a poorer meeting for the lack of a couple of pl big guns, taking nothing away from the riders there, but all teams should be represented in a competition like this, same with the pl 4's

What do you mean , nothing to do in Highbridge :shock: Myself and three other Tigers fans had a very enjoyable Friday afternoon pub crawl in Highbridge last season . An enjoyment which will be repeated on July 10th . :approve:

When we did that the locals seemed to view us with some suspicion :D particularly at the dragon I think it was.

I would recommend a visit to the queens arms in bleadon, very nice pub, great food (albiet a bit pricy I seem to recall) and real ale. Well worth a visit !

Weather for friday is suppose to be about 25°c with heavy thundery showers. Hope the wet stuff keeps away. :unsure:

Somerset to beat Edinburgh in the final

And what happens if a team has a dreadful pairing? that would surely bring the standard of racing down. This way its the best pairs in the league so you know the racing will be of the highest order. Ok it can be unfair at times but thats sport and life.

And what happens if a team has a dreadful pairing? that would surely bring the standard of racing down. This way its the best pairs in the league so you know the racing will be of the highest order. Ok it can be unfair at times but thats sport and life.

Then it should be renamed, PL pairs says to me the best pairs from the whole PL, not a select few teams. Some might not be that great but at least teams then don't feel left out and it's an accross the board competition.