British Speedway Forum

I really enjoy the GP series and think that it,s great for the sport. I have one or two problems with it though. Rolling at the start is one problem. My biggest dislike though is to see riders only having to get second place except for the final, and the other is tha gamesmanship of riders deliberatley slowing down to loose places to find an easier way through to the next level. I have to say also that the racing is usually better after heat seven when the big guns come in. So why not sixteen riders five races each like the old system. It must be more spectacular, after all it,s win at all costs riding. It would be simple enough rider with the most points on the night his points are added to the table. No need for these GP points. Every race would be as good as the final is now, and all the riders would be on view for all of the meeting. And as for the wild cards, how about five races of invited riders to be run for a place in the top sixteen.

A simple way of doing it is indeed the 16 rider format. You could have 16 regular GP riders and the bottom 2 from the previous GP race-off with the wildcards, the top 2 take place in the event, the last 2 become wildcards.

After the regular 21 (inc race-off was 15 & 16) have a semi final (3rd - 6th) with the winners meeting the top 2 in the final. Points in the final itself are added to the totals but doubled. This rider total is then how many points they scored in the GP. For example:

Crump - 3,3,3,3,3,6 = 21

Rickardsson - 3,1,3,2,3,4 = 16

Whilst I see where you guys are coming from, I think the organisers have to be careful they are not just catering for the purists (ie. us lot on here). The "first 2 through" formula works well on TV and is easy for a non-speedway fan to follow. Consequently, IMO, this type of formula gives us a better chance of widening the appeal of the sport.

The laughable way the GPs and elite league are run,are more likely to put people off rather than attract, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.That's better than swearing isn't it.

:? The Elite League and GPs are run vastly differently. I've never seen rider replacement, doubling up, guest riders and other silly rules which so disillusion the fans in the GPs.

Guest mattp

falcace, I tend to disagree with your assertion that the format works well on TV. Whilst anybody would realise that you need to be in the top two to progress, the thing is, I beg anybody to sit there without a race program and tell me exactly where the competitor is due to line up in their next heat.

Stronger Speedway brains than my own struggle to work out where the guys are due to start. At least with the 3,2,1,0 format, it is very easy to follow, you get to see the riders five times (at least) and whats difficult about the scoreboard?

In saying that, I do believe the GP format contributes to much of the excitement and drama that surrounds each event. The tension of having to see your rider finish in the top two consistently is worth it.

so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

maybe you've been doing a bit too much of that lately..... ;)

I just don,t agree finishing second is a good idea. The main idea of racing is to see as much passing as posible. And as for the idea of finishing last if you can,t get to the front two riders that,s surely going to cause problems in the future. What are we going to witness in the future third and fourth slowing down as much as they can or even pulling up to try and get an advantage. It will happen soon enough, and how do you think new viewers will react to that. I bet they won,t bother turning up as new fans at the turnstyls.

falcace, I tend to disagree with your assertion that the format works well on TV. Whilst anybody would realise that you need to be in the top two to progress, the thing is, I beg anybody to sit there without a race program and tell me exactly where the competitor is due to line up in their next heat.

Stronger Speedway brains than my own struggle to work out where the guys are due to start. At least with the 3,2,1,0 format, it is very easy to follow, you get to see the riders five times (at least) and whats difficult about the scoreboard?

In saying that, I do believe the GP format contributes to much of the excitement and drama that surrounds each event. The tension of having to see your rider finish in the top two consistently is worth it.

Still think that the points scoring 20-heat formula is not ideal for the unitiated. The various permutations as you go along would making having a programme at home even more important IMO.

Good point by sjw on the third/fourth place riders possibly trying to finish last. I actually saw Hans Andersen do this in Prague. In front of us he blatantly let the 4th place rider overtake him in one heat and went on to avoid a "big gun" eliminator and line-up in a weaker one - it worked as well, cos he got through to the semis as I recall.

The way to curb this would be for referees to keep an eye on this sort of thing and to stamp it out either by fines or outright exclusion from the next race.

Look at the article in today's Speedway Star.

There's likely to be 16 riders per GP from 2005 onwards. Top 8 from 2004 will qualify + 2 from qualifiers + 5 permanemt extras + 1 local wildcard. No qualification rounds at all from 2005.

Sounds good. EL promoters should be happy.