British Speedway Forum
Robbie B

Tommy Jansson 33 Years Today

Today marks the 33rd anniversary of the very sad death of Tommy Jansson, one of Wimbledon's and Sweden greatest sons.

As 1976 was my first year of supporting Wimbledon I never got the chance too see him race on that many occasions, but what I did see was an exceptional rider, great friendliness to all his fans, and one of the best persons that you could ever wished to met. Just can’t believe that it’s now 33 years since his passing.

I always like to remember him, at his last meeting at Wimbledon. First beating Dave Jessup in the Golden Helmet Match Race Championship, on Wimbledon junior Ian Williams bike, after his own bike broke down in the first race of that competition. Then with him going round Plough Lane waving to all the crowd. Afterwards going on to get a maximum in the Southern Riders Championship Qualifying Round.

He was such a special person, that why I put a five page tribute to him on my Wimbledon speedway website www.wimbledonspeedway1976.com

Gone but NEVER forgotten :sad::cry:

Edited by Robbie B

Most people of my age can remember where they were and what they were doing when Kennedy was assasinated, when Elvis died, when the Berlin Wall came down.

I can't.

But I do remember when I heard about poor Tommy.

Enough said, RIP.

Me too... I remember the Daily Mirror dropping through the letterbox that morning; I used to read it before I went to school. I picked up the paper and saw the headline, "Speed star killed"...

Steve

I just wish that the Dons were still around so that we could all remember Tommy together at Plough Lane,a great bloke,a great rider,those of us who saw him ride will never forget him. Look down kindly on us mate,you made us proud to be speedway fans.

I can remember reading an interview with Alan Mogridge years ago and in it he recalled the moment when he first heard his hero had died, he was told when he arrived home from school and he said he ran upstairs in tears. I believe Moggo looks in on here occassionally, wonder if he recalls anything :unsure:

a real racer and a rider who had every chance of being World Champion.33 years ago,sadly it only seems like yesterday.I recall him having a great dong dong for the Golden Helmet with Martin Ashby at Plough Lane circa 1975 when the Aces were in town.

I wonder how the track at Gubbangen today compares to the "farmland" surface that Tommy described at the start of that dreadful meeting.

I read that the surface was so bad that Soren Sjosten refused to ride after his first heat and it was undoubtedly the hole that Lars Jansson hit which caused the crash.

I recently saw a video of a meeting from the Gubbangen speedway and I saw no evidence of an air fence. It seemed to me that the solid board fence is still there. This seems very sad. I don't think there is much doubt that if air fences and full-face helmets had been around in those days, Tommy would not have died on that awful night.

very sad carnt believe it was 33 years ago as others i remember what i was doing. read the book a while back such a shame

sure he rode at cradley in a golden helmet decider.was it against ashby or jessup comes to mind. or was it a challenge by johnny boulger. can anyone answer this

Edited by bruno

very sad carnt believe it was 33 years ago as others i remember what i was doing. read the book a while back such a shame

sure he rode at cradley in a golden helmet decider.was it against ashby or jessup comes to mind. or was it a challenge by johnny boulger. can anyone answer this

The golden helmet race was against Martin Ashby at Cradley

The golden helmet race was against Martin Ashby at Cradley

thanks

One of the best riders never to be world champion IMHO, if not THE best.

He was so smooth on the track it often looked like he was gilding round.

RIP Tommy.

I can remember reading an interview with Alan Mogridge years ago and in it he recalled the moment when he first heard his hero had died, he was told when he arrived home from school and he said he ran upstairs in tears. I believe Moggo looks in on here occassionally, wonder if he recalls anything :unsure:

Hi mervjankefanclub

Sad times brings me back to the forum and I am a bit late with this topic.

I am surprised that you can remember back that far as to an interview with me and your memory is good.

I was a lot younger then but my favourite memory, although vague, was when Tommy was on the wrong end of a 5-1 and hunting them down! He came off of the 2nd bend and rode between them down the back straight to take the Win. I also can remember that every race he rode in, my heart was in my mouth, nerves running through my whole body and I felt knackered when he had finished the race :)

Lovely man, lovely rider, a huge loss in horrible circumstances.

I remember speaking with him after the 1975 World Final at Wembley. A true gent and a credit to himself, his family, his country and his sport.

Some of the best are taken at an early age.