British Speedway Forum
PhilK

Fim Team Under-21 World Championship

Just repeating what I'm being told by someone who's out there. Without seeing the race myself I can't comment on the rights and wrongs of the decision.

It's not Snyper...although this event has more of a financial backing for the riders behind it than some of the other recent qualifiers.

I'm assuming that timing is more of a problem in this case. Don't forget that for a lot of these youngsters they don't drive themselves and require mechanics etc who are often parents with full time jobs to do it. I don't know when Mear was ruled out, but it certainly wasn't that long before any replacement rider needed to be out there for practice. Not easy to get equipment for a fast contintenal track sorted just ilke that.

Latest text i've had from BobC out there is that Team GB are pretty much screwed now. Lewis had nowhere to go when Johnasson had an engine failure, and has a dead leg and double vision so we're down to 3 fully fit men. No news on whether he's out or will battle on though. Brendan then suffered an e/f whilst he was in 3rd.

Mear pulled out on Friday, following his crash at Swindon on Thursday night. I think 3 days is a reasonable time to find a replacement, and get him and his bikes and mechanic to Germany - it's not exactly the back of beyond! Surely a rider or two is put on stand-by for these F.I.M meetings?

Where there's a will, there's a way. Of course, if the will is not there ...

Looking forward to reading in Speedway Star this week of the BSPA's 101 reasons why a replacement was impossible.

Edited by TwoMinuteWarning

Mear pulled out on Friday, following his crash at Swindon on Thursday night. I think 3 days is a reasonable time to find a replacement, and get him and his bikes and mechanic to Germany - it's not exactly the back of beyond!

Looking forward to reading in Speedway Star this week of the BSPA's 101 reasons why a replacement was impossible.

Fair enough...I wasn't sure when Mear had withdrawn. Just playing Devil's advocate here, but it's easy to blame the authorities, but consider perhaps that any riders asked weren't interested in going...these trips don't come cheap to get those bikes and mechanics out there.

Mear pulled out on Friday, following his crash at Swindon on Thursday night. I think 3 days is a reasonable time to find a replacement, and get him and his bikes and mechanic to Germany - it's not exactly the back of beyond! Surely a rider or two is put on stand-by for these F.I.M meetings?

exactly good post plus where was mears bikes,were they still in the uk or en route to germany?If they were still in the uk at that time there is no excuse not getting rider ,bikes there as it would have been the same for robert in time to get there.It really is terrible that team gb is going to be the laughing stock of the world again it really pains me to say.i dont care about the cost involved youngers should leap and beg to get a chance to ride in a meeting like this and the bspa should help and encourage

Edited by speedy den boy

surely there is some kind of subsidy scheme to help these lads get all their kit to a track to race in an international event.

surely there is some kind of subsidy scheme to help these lads get all their kit to a track to race in an international event.

how could mich davey travel to germany today yet josh gr missed yesterdays meeting for glasgow.... :mad::mad::mad:

As I said in my earlier post, this event does get better financial backing for the riders. I was told all that was covered but can't remember it all, and wouldn't post half stories. It just seems people are getting all indignant about the lack of the 5th rider, and apportioning blame before knowing the facts. I know from involvement with Bren how difficult it is to juggle all the commitments for these youngsters, more so than for the more senior riders with their full time paid mechanics etc. Easy to say that riders should be dropping anything for a call-up but sometimes the logistics make that unrealistic however much the rider themselves might want to do it.

Tigger...believe most riders would've been in Germany for practice yesterday. Perhaps if Mitchell was a late replacement call-up to cover for an injured rider he was given dispensation to miss practice and fly directly out there?

Edited by rabbit

how could mich davey travel to germany today yet josh gr missed yesterdays meeting for glasgow.... :mad::mad::mad:

And Sweetman missed 2 meetings for Birmingham yet Lindgren rode for Brum on Sat :mad::mad:

Michael Max explained at the meeting yesterday. As Josh was originally and always going to be part of the main team ... he had to go out for free practice which took place on Sunday, attendance is mandatory as its an official FIM event, just like the GP's and SWC. Mitch was only a reserve so didnt need to go out. Its the way officially run FIM meetings have always worked. If Kozza was riding, he would of had to be at free practice on the sunday too

Looks like Bridger was excluded in his third ride, and missed his fourth ride.

Hope he is not injured.

(If he is, I'm sure Bob Dugard will soon be in rant-mode)

Im guessing the money for these events isnt too great so last minute travel could kill any hopes of someone being called up. Or maybe they are riding for teams today or tomorrow and wont make it in time.

Im guessing its more money than anything. Getting 2-3 bikes to Germany last minute plus a rider and who ever else cant be cheap.

Prize Money for meetings in Swiss francs

Qualifying Meeting 1st 3600 2nd 2600 3rd 2000 4th 1800

nal 1st 5000 2nd 4000 3rd 3000 4th 2500

1800 swiss francs is just over a grand.

So about £400 made by each of the Swedish riders today for winning the qualifier. I wonder how much it cost to get their bikes mechanic and themselves out to Germany.