British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Jimmy Gooch

Hello forumites,

We're about to interview Jimmy Gooch for the next issue of Classic Speedway mag.

Just wondered if any of you had any special memories of Jim from his racing days and if you have any particular questions or points you'd like us to put to him. Sorry, it's very short notice, but we're talking to him tomorrow (Wednesday)!

Sure Bob Bath will now be conjuring up happy memories of Jim riding for the Wasps, but what about fans of Oxford, Wembley, Norwich and, finally, Hackney, where Jimmy ended his career in 1970?

Cheers,

Tony Mac

What can Jimmy tell us about his riding in S. Africa in the mid-'50s and the issues that arose because of unlicensed tracks and subsequent bans on return to the UK .

Thanks for the mention TMC-Jim was a great asset to the Wasps-would like to know more about his punch up with Ove when they were both with Norwich,who was his favourite riding partner with the Wasps and what does he think was the best squad he ever rode in-my guess would be Oxford 1964.Also who was his toughest rival and his memories if any of Ivor Brown-how's that for starters-am really looking forward to the next issue of this great magazine.

Ask Jimmy if he can remember anything about the night I went to my first speedway match. (No, not if he remembers me..)

The match was New Cross v. Norwich 11 May 1960. Jimmy was the New Cross hero that night. Fundin and Lawson carried all before them until Jimmy beat Lawson - his only defeat of the night. Jimmy was naturally New Cross's hero and top scorer, but he was not nominated in heat 15, the nominated riders heat. Split Waterman and Eric Williams were. When this was announced there was a lot of booing from the crowd. There was some justice though when Split fell at the start and a re-run with all four was ordered and Jimmy took Split's place as he had been inured in the fall.

I wonder if Jimmy remembers the incident and, if he does, how he felt about being left out of heat 15 originally.

Thanks for the rapid response, fellas.

Pse keep it coming. Any more questions or thoughts on the Gooch career?

How good was he really?

When is someone going to publish a book detailing pre-1975 riders' biogs with complete career stats, beyond the info contained in the one Peter Morrish produced?

Put me down for a copy...

Edited by tmc

Bit late I know, but would be interesting to hear of his time as Wembley reserve when he could have easily held down a full team place anywhere else. :unsure: Oh and I'll tell another funny story, when he came to Oxford in '64, : Later. :D

Oh and I'll tell another funny story, when he came to Oxford in '64, : Later. :D

Sooner, if you can . . . leaving here at 2pm to see Jimmy!

Hope I caught you Tony-would be interested to know of Jim's memories of his only World Final appearance in 1965.

Might be wrong here but didnt he have a little problem with Ove Fundin at Norwich which got him the sack? or have I got the wrong man?

You are right Nigel, so the story went at the time but memories have a habit of changing things like that around.

Ove "filled Jimmy in" with wet shale a couple of times one night in 1963, Jimmy, obviously not too happy with his "team partner" for those actions, went across the pits and did some "filling-in" of his own. The story was that this caused Jimmy to leave the Firs and join Oxford for the 1964 season. When I mentioned this to someone recently they did not remember the matter at all.

Edited by star ghost

Thanks for the rapid response, fellas.

Pse keep it coming. Any more questions or thoughts on the Gooch career?

How good was he really?

When is someone going to publish a book detailing pre-1975 riders' biogs with complete career stats, beyond the info contained in the one Peter Morrish produced?

Put me down for a copy...

The book you require is in fact a set of dvd's from Matthew Jackson & Hugh Vass. The first one covers the riders starting in the 1940s and the subsequent ones are yet to come. You will find they will fill in all you are looking for. Miss out on getting these items and it will be like losing your right arm.

The book you require is in fact a set of dvd's from Matthew Jackson & Hugh Vass. The first one covers the riders starting in the 1940s and the subsequent ones are yet to come. You will find they will fill in all you are looking for. Miss out on getting these items and it will be like losing your right arm.

Cheers for the tip.

And to those others who also took the trouble to respond. Sorry Norm, you're recollection of that New X decider is much better than Jimmy's! Got the Fundin punch-up story covered too.

Jimmy was in fine form, though, and I'm sure his thoughts and memories will be of interest to readers of Issue 5. He's a remarkable man, as you'll discover when you read what he's been up to since he left speedway in 1970.

Sad to report that he had his one and only (1965) World Final FIM medal stolen from his Essex home. Wouldn't it be lovely for Jimmy if someone on this forum traced its whereabouts (it's probably been sold on at least once since the 60s) and got it returned to him. I'mn goping to get hima copy of the actual programme from that Wembley night, but the medal would mean so much to him.

Meanwhile, does anyone know in which year he won the Dutch Golden Helmet?

Really looking forward to reading next issue Tony.Interestingly enough after I posted I looked up my program of 1965 British Final and noticed that Jim won Heat 20-this was the controversial heat where Charlie Monk got excluded for trying to pass McKinlay. Jim ended up with 10 pts. -before that final race Jim was of course on 7, Monk on 8 and Mckinlay on 9 and perhaps Jim wouldn't have made it if the incident hadn't occurred -can't recall if there was re run with three riders or it carried on after Charlie was excluded.That heat 20 ended up Gooch, Mckinlay, Mauger, Monk(exc). For the record Mauger was riding while suffering from a bad injury and ended up with 5.Anybody else in forumland there that night.(31 August 1965- scheduled for 24th it was rained off on the original date)????????

Bill Kitchen told a story about Jimmy Gooch diving from the crow's nest of the liner Otranto into the ship's swimming pool while on the way to Australia in late 1952. It sounded a bit of a "tall tale" to me and I asked Eric Williams who was on the same ship. He said it didn't happen and just couldn't have happened. It made a good story though!