British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Ken Vale

I recall Ken riding for Long Eaton and Newport-probably others too.(I think Weymouth non-league in early sixties)Not super successful but a great trier and ornament of the sport nonetheless, a great guy. I think Ken was originally a Londoner.Anyone know if Ken is still with us?? Put in some great performances over the years and always gave of his best,this rider was the backbone of the sport and never gave up.

I recall Ken riding for Long Eaton and Newport-probably others too.(I think Weymouth non-league in early sixties)Not super successful but a great trier and ornament of the sport nonetheless, a great guy. I think Ken was originally a Londoner.Anyone know if Ken is still with us?? Put in some great performances over the years and always gave of his best,this rider was the backbone of the sport and never gave up.

To the best of my knowledge, Ken is still around, and will be eighty-five on the 24th of this month.

Mike

That's great to hear-does anyone else have memories of Ken. If Ken is 85 in 2009 he must have been born in 1924 which means he was 40 when I was watching him ride in 1964-anyone recall his career before then??

At Long Eaton’s excellent and successful 1st re-union in June 2008, I was chatting to former “Ranger” Jerry Scott and he regaled me a story about Ken Vale from the 1970 season which may amuse fellow forumites.

Canterbury were the opponents and in their ranks was the New Zealander Graeme Smith who was one of the new – and brash – kids on the block.

The Crusaders' star had been, shall we say “over robust” in his on-track dealings with one of the Rangers’ riders and Ken had witnessed this as he looked on from the pits.

At the end of the race, with Smith victorious in the battle, he and his pit crew were enjoying the moment just a little too extravagantly and vociferously for Ken’s liking.

Ken – a normally most placid personality – was sat in his pits spot, puffing on his favourite pipe, contemplating.

He took his pipe out – handing it to Jerry with a request to “Hold this for a minute.” He then bent down and undid his steel shoe, slipping it off his boot. With the steel shoe firmly gripped in one hand he ambled slowly over to the Rayleigh side of the pits where Smithy and crew were still enjoying the moment. Smithy had his back to Ken.

When Ken reached the appropriate location, having walked up behind the Canterbury star, he tapped him on the shoulder. Graeme turned round to be met by a handily-wielded steel shoe coming purposefully in the opposite direction. Clang!

Mission accomplished, Ken returned to his spot in the pits, reclaimed his pipe and sat down, without a care in the world. Wonderful!

They don’t make ‘em like that anymore!

Have just checked through my programmes to confirm that Graeme was riding for Canterbury in 1970 when Ken was at Long Eaton.

Edited by TeamBouchard