British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scunny Stag

Info on Jack Belfield? (probably 50's rider)

A couple of years back I had a chat with a interesting old bloke up in Northumberland. During the conversation he told me he had been a speedway rider, amongst many other things, and I think he mentioned some of the old South East/London tracks (I'm sure Rayleigh was one of them). He did tell me the name he rode under but I forgot it. I think it was just a nickname instead of Jack.

Does anyone have any further information on this rider?

Not Howdy Byford? just a shot in the dark as i doubt that was his real name

Not Howdy Byford? just a shot in the dark as i doubt that was his real name

Sorry, it's not him. I do know his name is Belfield (seen it on parish council minutes :-)) I've just scoured a couple of VSM mags because I'm sure it was a popular nickname. There's actually a scoreboard in Vol 8 No 2 where most of the riders have nicknames but the only one that it might be is 'Skid' and I pretty certain it wasn't that. It wasn't Crash, Tiger, Splash, Zip, Flyer, Buck, Smudger or Ace either.

I hope someone with some of Peter Jackson's speedway archives might be kind enough to see if his name appears. If it does then I'll probably see if Peter still has copies for sales (I have his postal address but I don't believe he's on e-mail). However, I'm not going to spend over £50 for all 9 years to only find he doesn't appear.

I've just looked through every Rayleigh team for the 1950s and I can't find the name Belfield with or without a nickname. Without going through all the London teams I don't recall the name Belfield as a London rider. Peter Jackson's books only detail the records of the top riders in each team in the National League (Division One) so I doubt if he would be in there.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'll try looking up some other southern teams.

I've just looked through every Rayleigh team for the 1950s and I can't find the name Belfield with or without a nickname. Without going through all the London teams I don't recall the name Belfield as a London rider. Peter Jackson's books only detail the records of the top riders in each team in the National League (Division One) so I doubt if he would be in there.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'll try looking up some other southern teams.

Thanks for looking Norbold. As far as I'm aware you're one of the experts round here. I guess it could have been 40's as I'm only guessing he is about 70. If you can't find anything then I'll make an effort to see him again (he's a neighbour to the cottage where we stay a couple of times a year) or get one of the other locals to maybe try and find out a bit more.

Cheers,

Richard

OK, I'll delve back a bit further. He's not in the 1949 Speedway Who's Who though. That was the first thing I checked.

Norbold,

Thanks for looking. Maybe he never made the leagues and was just the equivalent of our second-halfers. I think I'll make further enquiries when I'm up there again.

Richard