British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

The Annoying Cut Off

I have noticed in otherwise excellent books dealing with the history of various clubs that a qualification of six matches is being used for points scorers in a season. While I can accept the logic for this when it comes to formulating a table, it does mean that many riders are not being recognised as havingridder for a club, which means they are not historically mentioned. I think that authors of such books should, while adhering to the six match criteria for compiling scoring tables, could also add a line for "also rode" giving the rider's name, matches, points scored, and an average.

For all that, these tables are much better than the formula used in Stenners annual which was a surname only - first names never mentioned in either teams for a season or in points scored during a match. It means that with the prgression of time, the increasing loss of records, that historians in 50 years time (if there's still speedway) will have problems in regard to matching surname to a rider. Take Parker for an example - in the 1940-50s, there was Jack Parker, Norman Parker, Dennis Parker, Len Parker, Alf Parker. In the Stenners records they all appear as Parker. Another example is Wilson - we have had Bronco, Bill, Brian Wilson. There's been Charlie and Cyril Page, Fred and Frank Evans. And what about Wright - Jimmy and Jack. Doubtless more cases of multiple surnames can be found.

Edited by speedyguy

I agree with you speedyguy.

This makes it even more important for the Speedway Researcher and the present forum & club sites to do the recording of matters correctly. At present they are managing to make the distinctions I feel

The reason I do it in my books is mainly one of space. I sign a contract for all my books which say how many words the publisher wants. For every rider whose average I include it's the equivalent of something like 18-20 words as they are tabulated across a whole line. Although I think it is of interest to put in a club's leading riders each year I think the space it would take up to include every rider is too much and would mean having to leave out a fair amount of detail in the book itself.

However, you may be right, speedyguy, that it would be a good idea to include a list of "also rode". I did, in fact, in my Wembley book, include a list at the end of all riders who had been contracted to Wembley and the years. Maybe I should have done this in all my books.

Edited by norbold