British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 32

Issue 32 is out now and all subscribers should receive their copy either today or tomorrow.

Here's what's in...

AMERICAN IDOLS

There is a strong American flavour to this issue as we look back at the new wave of Californians who crossed the Atlantic in the early 70s to make their mark in British speedway – from Scott Autrey to Bruce Penhall, Bobby Schwartz to the Moran brothers, and Sam Ermolenko to Greg Hancock, plus all the others who appeared for British teams.

Columnist John Berry, who managed England in Test matches against the USA, examines the impact those fun-loving, wheelie-popping, colourful and sometimes controversial characters from the States had on the British League scene.

He writes: “They lived their lives in the same way they rode their bikes . . . on the edge. Somehow they seemed to represent everything that was good – and bad – about Californian speedway riders. On track they were each worth the admission money by themselves. The skill, the daring, the panache made them true entertainers.

“Away from the track they seemed to live their lives as if every moment should produce a new sensation. Hang the consequences, let’s live for today.

“The British public loved the way the Americans brought action and colour into the sport. They loved the wheelies and the flag-waving and the extrovert character of these devil-may-care riders who all seemed to be prepared and able to project themselves both on and off the track.

“The supporters also seemed to shrug their shoulders at the rumours of drug taking and of wild parties, even when some of the lads were caught red-handed. A rudimentary drug testing regime was introduced around that time and, it has to be pointed out, no American was found guilty of using performance-enhancing drugs but there was plenty of evidence to back up claims of a fair amount of ‘recreational’ drug use.”

We’ve a full list of every American who rode in the BL from 1969 to 1990.

Berry goes on to name his American Dream Team. So who did make it into his top 7 from the Backtrack period?

BRUCE PENHALL

Many champions have come and gone through the years but probably none have created a void as big as the chasm left by Bruce Penhall when he left speedway in a hurry in 1982. Editor Tony Mac on why Cradley Heath’s American Golden Boy was such a huge loss to the sport and he offers a controversial view on why the British public were wrong to turn against the double World Champion who quit while on top. He writes: “What Bruce did that afternoon in West London was hardly different to what many, many others have done to facilitate the greater need of others. If he was guilty of anything, it was naivete.”

MEMORIES ARE MADE OF THIS

We also talk to Andy Hale, the English speedway fan who boasts the biggest collection of Bruce Penhall memorabilia, as well as racing mementoes purchased from other top US stars.

NORSE POWER

Norway was a major speedway force early in the Backtrack era. Apart from Australia, New Zealand and Sweden, British speedway then imported more Norwegian riders than from any other country. Sverre Harrfeldt, Reidar Eide, Oyvind Berg, Odd Fossengen, Dag Lovaas, Edgar Stangeland and the rest . . . Bob Radford reflects on the highs and lows experienced by former BL riders from this small Scandinavian nation.

REIDAR EIDE

A No.1 for Wembley, Poole, Sheffield and Newport, Reidar Eide was perhaps the best known and most successful of all the Norwegians who rode here in the BL era. Bob Radford provides a personal view of a controversial man, known to many as a mercenary, who became his country’s major force in the late 60s and early 70s.

STEVE REGELING

Steve Regeling spent 14 seasons in British speedway, several of them at a time when Australian riders were a much more rare species than they are today. Martin Rogers, who brought Regeling to the UK in 1980 and was his promoter for eight of those years at Leicester and King’s Lynn, catches up with one of his old favourites.

FRANK AUFFRET

In a new and remarkably candid exclusive interview, former Middlesbrough and Hull favourite Frank Auffret tells Richard Bott about the rider he hated, the best promoter he ever rode for, why he didn’t much like Ivan Mauger and why something a supporter said to him made him give up speedway. He’ll also explain why we’ve all been pronouncing his name wrong all these years!

ALAN BRIDGETT

If there’s a problem with the track, then there’s only one man who can cure it. Martin Neal caught up with a former rider who is still very much in demand today. Alan also looks back on his career as a second division racer with Doncaster, Bradford, Stoke, Paisley and Edinburgh, where is still very much involved as the Monarchs’ highly-respected track curator.

EMIL SOVA

He spent only a brief while with Belle Vue Aces in the late 70s but as Vitek Formanek reports, Czech international Emil Sova is still remembered with much affection 10 years on from his sad death. Miroslav Verner provides a fascinating insight into a popular man.

NEWCASTLE

Diamonds definitely were not forever for Ian Hoskins, the beleaguered promoter who explains the problems he faced in dealing with Anders Michanek and other issues that plagued him in that ill-fated 1970 season at Brough Park.

Plus... Reg Fearman and John Berry lock horns over the Halifax track on our letters’ page! Rod Haynes' column, Q&As with Gary O'Hare and Brett Saunders, plus loads of great pics that simply ooze nostalgia and make you wish you could be transported back in time!

Edited by tmc

Always great to see Backtrack sitting on the doormat when you get home.

Quick sift through and have to say I really enjoyed the memories about Reider Eide. When I was a kid he always seemed to ride for a different track each season and now I can guess why!

Reg Fearman likes to have the "right to reply" doesn't he? Having visited the Shay under lights I have to agree with John Berry. Also to quote Eric Boocock - "It was the banking that got you round the corners, because it was very narrow going into them and narrow coming out"

I have just read with interest the interview between Richard Bott and Frank Auffret. Whilst the piece is very well written and well up to the normal high standard I would expect from BackTrack Magazine, I feel I must take issue with some of the content.

First of all I would like to say that Frank Auffret attended one of our Sunderland Speedway Reunions, at the Reunion, he spoke in very uncomplimentary terms about Jack Millen. Some of those present were quite surprised at the bitterness shown by Frank regarding Jack. Jack was dead and unable to defend himself. It was generally thought that he could have toned down his remarks, especially as he was at a Sunderland reunion. Both Frank and Jack were uncompromising Riders, I think that it is fair to say that Frank obviously carries his dislike/hatred of Jack to this day.

On reading the interview with Frank I was absolutely staggered when I read and I quote "he pulled out of seven races against me". who is he kidding - Jack NEVER pulled out of a challenge in his life. I have spoken to other Riders of the time, both at, and after the aforementioned Reunion where Frank had implied that Jack was afraid of him - they all said that Frank was talking nonsense.

Jack Millen was a very hard Rider, he was not known as 'Millen the Villain' for nothing. For Frank Auffret to actually go into print accusing someone of cowardice goes very much against the grain with me. I doubt very much if he would have said this if Jack had been alive and able to defend himself.

Jack Millen and Frank Auffret were probably two of the hardest Riders I ever saw, I actually admired them both, neither gave an inch. I hope that Frank can live with himself after so publicly calling into question the courage of a Rider who died in such tragic circumstances. He has certainly gone down in my estimation.

Jack Millen will always be one of my sporting heroes - Frank Auffret, whilst still a hero for his Riding, is now a tarnished one.

I look forward to the next issue of BackTrack.

I have just read with interest the interview between Richard Bott and Frank Auffret. Whilst the piece is very well written and well up to the normal high standard I would expect from BackTrack Magazine, I feel I must take issue with some of the content.

First of all I would like to say that Frank Auffret attended one of our Sunderland Speedway Reunions, at the Reunion, he spoke in very uncomplimentary terms about Jack Millen. Some of those present were quite surprised at the bitterness shown by Frank regarding Jack. Jack was dead and unable to defend himself. It was generally thought that he could have toned down his remarks, especially as he was at a Sunderland reunion. Both Frank and Jack were uncompromising Riders, I think that it is fair to say that Frank obviously carries his dislike/hatred of Jack to this day.

On reading the interview with Frank I was absolutely staggered when I read and I quote "he pulled out of seven races against me". who is he kidding - Jack NEVER pulled out of a challenge in his life. I have spoken to other Riders of the time, both at, and after the aforementioned Reunion where Frank had implied that Jack was afraid of him - they all said that Frank was talking nonsense.

Jack Millen was a very hard Rider, he was not known as 'Millen the Villain' for nothing. For Frank Auffret to actually go into print accusing someone of cowardice goes very much against the grain with me. I doubt very much if he would have said this if Jack had been alive and able to defend himself.

Jack Millen and Frank Auffret were probably two of the hardest Riders I ever saw, I actually admired them both, neither gave an inch. I hope that Frank can live with himself after so publicly calling into question the courage of a Rider who died in such tragic circumstances. He has certainly gone down in my estimation.

Jack Millen will always be one of my sporting heroes - Frank Auffret, whilst still a hero for his Riding, is now a tarnished one.

I look forward to the next issue of BackTrack.

I fully concur with what Ian has said, to malign a dead man who can't defend himself is itself indefensible. Jack Millen was many things, but to duck a challenge was unthinkable......he relished a battle.......he loved living on the edge! The harder the opponent, the more he liked it. He should have kept his thoughts to himself. Shame on you Frank!

"The Mackem"