British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robbie B

Longest Racing Career

Regarding Jack Parker's career - wasn't he riding prior to '28 (trials maybe) ?

Yes, but obviously not as a speedway rider.

Yes, but obviously not as a speedway rider.

Yes indeed but as this thread is called Longest Racing Career I assumed that you could point it out (others have mentioned riders on this thread competing in non-speedway sports).

Incidentially, forgot to suggest Olle Nygren. On another thread on here someone said that he's still teaching speedway in Sweden so with a riding career of circa 1950 through to now then thats a long time (if the mention of still teaching is wrong then I know he was running traning courses at King's Lynn in the late '80s which would be around the 40 year mark).

Cheers.

Tony Childs rode at the Firs Stadium in Norwich along with Cyril Crane before they sold our track for building in 1964, that makes it the early 60s.

Would it not be Jimmy Squibb who rode until he was about 55yrs old almost 40yrs unbroken but I maybe wrong?

Yes. He's in indeed a serious canidate. Indications are that Jimmy Squibb started at Southampton in 1939, where he was a protege of local riders Vic Collins and Frank Bond.

Jimmy Squibb, 40 years might well have the londest racing career. I haven't had time to read my 'Classic Speedway' mag yet, I know there's a article about him in the lastest edition.

World Cup week 'BACK THE BRITS'

I am sure that we have done this before and the end result was Jimmy Squibb & Gordon Mcgregor

Yes, it's another recycling of a much-debated topic. Elsewhere on the forum, Fay Taylour's political views are under detbate - AGAIN!!! :rolleyes:

Norfolkman Geof Pymar is the only man who rode on Grass, cinders and shale at the great Firs stadium, Norwich. He started in 1930 and retired in around 1962 although he did retire for a spell in the late 50's when he co - promoted at Exeter!

Another long serving rider with strong Norfolk connections Wal Morton also rode for a similar period alas also which some breaks!

Ivan Mauger rode his 1st competitive meeting in New Zealand in 1955 and had his last competitive meeting in early 1986 although since then I believe he has infrequently had practises on various tracks up to present.

I know one of the famous Perrys (can't recall which one!) rode grasstrack for 40 unbroken years!