British Speedway Forum
tomazpozrl

Swc Event 2, Peterborough 13.7.

Of course not, as Lyon said in his interview its all about having fun.....

Ha so its ok for English riders to be in the World cup and "have fun" but not for the Scots to have a team. If we dont qualify then so be it atleast they would of HAD FUN and GAINED EXPERIENCE

Sorry for my late response to this but...

The main reason that the team is named Great Britain is the same as why there is no British team in football.

There is a single British motorcycle authority - ACU - and not a separate one for England, Scotland, Wales.

This then only allows that one nation into any competition.

In the forthcoming Olympics a British Football team is being entered (it has been restricted before due to the separate Football authorities and yet a combined British olympic team) which is being headed by the FA and by agreement will only consist of English players.

Im aware of "reason" but it isnt hard to appoint a Scotland manager and allow him to sort a team etc.

As for the football situation you will find it was thanks to the SFA, WFA and the IFA that you are getting a "team GB" because if they had kept pushing for it to include all nations you would of got nothing.

As for tonights meeting i lost count of how many times i heard the word "England" going about. No wonder Scots, Welsh and Irish are being, ahem........ "xenophobic". All we get is England this, England that and we are then expected to sit and cheer and support this gumf. Sorry but anyone who thinks a Scot, Welsh or Irish person should be pround of that is a complete and utter moron.

Exhilarating meeting. Pity about the security at the end, though...

Thankfully the stewards only had high spirits to deal with - any real trouble and who knows what may have happened. 3/4 dog handlers and their companions would have certainly made dealing with the situation a lot easier (and quicker so the fireworks could start).

Nobody, including you or me, knows the reasons for Scott not being there, so lets not assume anything.

i thought there was a fallout between Nicholls & Harris .. what's the point of having them both in the pits still if you are trying to create harmony and a team spirit.

i thought there was a fallout between Nicholls & Harris .. what's the point of having them both in the pits still if you are trying to create harmony and a team spirit.

Bit of a lame excuse is it not? Remember back to Saturday when Nicki and Hans were stood side by side. They have no time for eachother in the best circumstances but put all that aside for the good of their nation. Just one more reason to add to the long list of why England will never be World Cup champions.

What a great night, we were stood amongst the Poles on the back straight, they really know how to enjoy themselves!

So proud of our Danny tonight, I just knew he'd come up trumps. Good to read so many nice comments on here about him after all the negativity.

Well done Polska, pure entertainers.

Wow, what a meeting, it was that gd im sat watching it again on sky.

Team GB were no disgrace, i said before hand i wouldn't of picked kennett, he doesnt ride the showground well and despite just returning from injury i would have given oliver allen a chance tonihgt, always performs well at the showground and is a fast gater. Very proud of our performance. Heat 14 grat ride by king, but heat 20, what a race, that was fantastic, and jasonn crump a real racer, superb.

I was pleased poland won the meeting, i believe it give Team GB a better chance, i now see it as 2 from 4 rather than 1 from 3 as feel that the poles wud have been absolute certs to go through. What a mouthwatering meeting in prospect on thursday, i just hope the track is prepared right to do it it justice.

In term of the team, rob lyon gave the youngsters a chance, im pleased he did, and they did very well, but that will help them for rest of season and their future.

The team i would pick if i was in charge and having listened to rob lyons's interviews, and riding order being blue again.

1. Scott Nicholls

2. Chris Harris

3. Lee Richardson

4. Tai woffinden

5. Daniel King

Personally, i would give olly allen a chance, purely because of his gating.

One disapointment, was gollob not goin out in heat 25. poor made up excuse it seemed. :-(

Anyway, i look forward to thursday, well done Team GB for the effort the all gave tonight.

Edited by cgcoombes

the moment we werent awful and our riders werent badly tailed off and suffering it was job done pure and simple.............. the night was about experience and they got it :)

Ed looked the most fragile but Pboro has never been a good track for him ..... Danny King was breathtaking and ex home track or not to be able to pass Gollob on his outside on any track is impressive stuff.... the other 3 were solid for their relative standard............................. perhaps more importantly the team looked like a proper team in the pits with several non riding team members having their parts to play.... great to see the likes of Michael Lee, Graham Jones and John Davis in there

The racing was top drawer on a track that not only have competing lines but those lines also moved and changed.......some of the races were incredible and i'm certain that Pboro is being pencilled in as a final venue of the future as we speak :D ............... I strongly suspect that someone has had a word with Ole finally........... maybe he should sit in the stands on or off the phone more often??

It is difficult to know what to feel about the race off....... on one hand the Danes are down a man or two and are weaker ........ and the Swedes looked far from comfortable the other night ....... but on the other the Aussies are looking certs to go through...... and the Danes and Swedes have a hell of a lot of experience not only in Poland but also on similarly big tracks

Its a done deal with Rico that he is in seemingly and if that keeps him happy and a part of the setup then so be it but it doesnt change a hell of a lot even if he sticks in a world class Crump/Hampel/Sajfutdinov score............. I hope the boys ride as well as they did tonight but their chances of qualifying are remote imho and it is still all about the experience

and finally those who have used RL's team selection as yet another way of being 'controversial' and knocking the guys.... I wont point out anything because ultimately there never was anything to point out....... it always was about gaining the experience.... and it always was about fast tracking the likely candidates.... both are under way and team Great Britain will be all the healthier for it over the coming years ......

Edited by spook

the moment we werent awful and our riders werent badly tailed off and suffering it was job done pure and simple.............. the night was about experience and they got it :)

Ed looked the most fragile but Pboro has never been a good track for him ..... Danny King was breathtaking and ex home track or not to be able to pass Gollob on his outside on any track is impressive stuff.... the other 3 were solid for their relative standard............................. perhaps more importantly the team looked like a proper team in the pits with several non riding team members having their parts to play.... great to see the likes of Michael Lee, Graham Jones and John Davis in there

The racing was top drawer on a track that not only have competing lines but those lines also moved and changed.......some of the races were incredible and i'm certain that Pboro is being pencilled in as a final venue of the future as we speak :D ............... I strongly suspect that someone has had a word with Ole finally........... maybe he should sit in the stands on or off the phone more often??

It is difficult to know what to feel about the race off....... on one hand the Danes are down a man or two and are weaker ........ and the Swedes looked far from comfortable the other night ....... but on the other the Aussies are looking certs to go through...... and the Danes and Swedes have a hell of a lot of experience not only in Poland but also on similarly big tracks

Its a done deal with Rico that he is in seemingly and if that keeps him happy and a part of the setup then so be it but it doesnt change a hell of a lot even if he sticks in a world class Crump/Hampel/Sajfutdinov score............. I hope the boys ride as well as they did tonight but their chances of qualifying are remote imho and it is still all about the experience

and finally those who have used RL's team selection as yet another way of being 'controversial' and knocking the guys.... I wont point out anything because ultimately there never was anything to point out....... it always was about gaining the experience.... and it always was about fast tracking the likely candidates.... both are under way and team Great Britain will be all the healthier for it over the coming years ......

Top post Spook....again.

Couldnt agree more with you.

Good meeting (from what I saw of it which was about heat 7 onwards).....................the youngsters did us proud to all intents and purposes but I have to agree with the person who said that Kennett seemed a bit fragile...............

Some excellent passing and a proper racing track that was well prepared and looked after...............

RP

Absolutely brilliant meeting, reminded me why I still love this sport. Big well done to all the teams for making it so, and congrats to the Poles who just had the legs to see off the Aussies. Pushed for who'd I'd rather meeting in the play-off, it'd have to be Australia rather than the home nation so a good result for the team also.

Can't believe how churlish some are being. Those who were disappointing were the riders everyone bar none was wanting included - Kennett, Woffinden, but still some people can't give credit where it's due elsewhere. Stand up Danny King for a man-sized performance there last night. Absolutely thrilled for the lad. He's a rider I've rated for a while and it was brilliant to see him make such an impact. We have run with our 'best' teams for the previous years and done diddly, so fair play to Lyon for being strong enough to make his own mark on things. It worked for Denmark when they tracked a young inexperienced team several years back, now look at them. Who is to say the same won't be true of where these guys are in a couple of years time? Rico obviously accepts what was done and why, so it's a shame some fans can't.

Stunning racing, best I've seen in a while and the Crump/Zagar race should be shown to anyone who thinks speedway is all about the first turn. The Chapmans might not have that many admirers outside of Norfolk, but you can't knock Buster for that track. Whoever over-ruled Ole Olsen needs a bloody medal. ;)

Roll on Thursday, a different team yes, but I think we're up against it against 3 very strong nations. Never say never though... ;) Just hope it's as good as last night's racing.

What a fantastic meeting last night! Really enjoyed it. Danny King was brilliant entertainment and I have to say I think every team member put in 100% effort, which is more than can be said for last year. !!!! Well done boys . The racing was superb all night. Great entertainment all round :)

Dont know why people are surprised at Gollobs heat 25 antics. Hes always been an arrogant person who makes little effort to speak English and speak to an interviewer. Entertainer on track (if it suits him) but a hell of a t**t off it.

Incredible meeting last night, I love watching speedway at the EoES whatever meeting is on, it always seems to produce some great racing. Huge credit to RL and his young team who gave it their all on the night, especially Danny King who was definately the pick of the bunch. :approve:

Shame Kennett wasn't on the pace after supposedly looking great in practice earlier.

The Poles were awesome, shame Gollob denied the fans one last look at him in the last heat, lost a bit of respect for him last night over that little episode :rolleyes: but they were certainly a force to be reckoned with and on last night's performance alone think they've probably got the title in the bag already! Shame certain Polish fans let themselves down, they started off in fine fettle but ended up no less than drunken morons! :shock:

All in all a great evening watching some awesome speedway on a fantastically prepared track, (take note Mr O!!) :lol:

How can it be a different set of 5 involving 3 of these ? Is it me or does that not make sense ?

:blink: nope not to me it doesn't, a different 5 is a different 5 not a 5 including 3 from the orginal 5 blimey now I'm getting all confused with the 3's and 5's :lol:

I know, he is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. When he rides, the usual suspects line up on here to kick him in, when he doesn't ride, they still manage to do so! Hence my previous comment, that I would avoid the play-off if I was him. If he rode, the usual suspects will demand a maximum, then criticise his team riding :rolleyes:

Bit like the TEAM GB Manager whoever it is but ........ out of principal I wouldn't field Scott unless he had one hell of an excuse like he was giving birth or something! Scott has opened himself up here for all the comments about him by not showing his face ...... sorry Scott love ya to bits hun but surely you could of got there and supported the lads, not a Richardson fan but he was there!

All we get is England this, England that and we are then expected to sit and cheer and support this gumf. Sorry but anyone who thinks a Scot, Welsh or Irish person should be pround of that is a complete and utter moron.

If you want to cheer on another nation gofor it who are we to stop you, you're just another negative fan they can do without.

The team i would pick if i was in charge and having listened to rob lyons's interviews, and riding order being blue again.

1. Scott Nicholls

2. Chris Harris

3. Lee Richardson

4. Tai woffinden

5. Daniel King

Personally, i would give olly allen a chance, purely because of his gating.

I wouldn't put Scott in but Lewis and Tai would be there with Daniel King, Bomber and Richardson.

With Michael Lee, Mark Loram, JD and Jonah all in the pits alongside the lads last night on hand for advice and support nice to see them all getting involved with the National team as much as I doubted Rob Lyon (mainly because I am a Middlo fan and the fact he was very ignorant when I met him) this could be at some point a winning combination. I don't care if we come last the youngsters are getting a go and being primed for the future!! Well done all at TEAM GB.

he was very ignorant when I met him

In other words, he didn't fancy you? :wink: