British Speedway Forum
Undercover Elephant

Thoughts On Tai Woffenden Wearing An Aussie Shirt In The Pits

Always thought born in England with English parents made you English but hey ho.

If anybody could have been bothered to read the RULES before jumping on their soap box. They would have known ANYONE working in the pits with a team MUST wear team shirts.

Hang on, reading the rules? Why for example, as a spectator or just an armchair moaner like most people, would I go to the effort to say"gee I like the speedway Im watching...scrach my head, and see a GB rider on our screen, and think....hmmm thats "joe bloggs" who rides for GB, and he's.......wearing an opposing country's top, but imagine say, David Beckham, and he's seen out in LA with a Tottenham shirt.....what's your first reaction, if you know what you've seen briefly. It's not the same I know but a similar hypothesis!! :wink:

Im not suggesting that is the case with Tai. I'm just trying to gauge people's thoughts thats all.

Personally I don't have a problem with it. None whatsoever. I just chuckled at seeing Tai getting stuck in, helping out as a team. But some will have a whinge and a different view.....but so what, it's not that bigger deal. Look at Emil loaning a bike to Hans in the GP and that's the world championship......

I don't really mind who Tai rides for GB or Aussie, but just hypothetically speaking, having rode for Team GB, does that mean he can't ride for Aussie in the future???

Blimey poor Tai,he spent a large chunck of his life in aussie,most prob grew up with troy batch,someone gave him an aussie t shirt,so what,i dosnt worry me in the slightist.

Then some would argue that he races for Team GB. I wonder if it may be a bit different if it was an English rider working with, (say) Sweden or Denmark.

I don't really mind who Tai rides for GB or Aussie, but just hypothetically speaking, having rode for Team GB, does that mean he can't ride for Aussie in the future???

Im 99% certain that once you have represented a nation at an FIM event you can't then ride for another.

Tai wearing the t-shirt is no different to Leigh's Polish mechanic wearing an Aussie shirt. Anybody questioning his loyalties?

Or any different to young English lad wearing a Brazil or Dutch football national shirt.

Blimey poor Tai,he spent a large chunck of his life in aussie,most prob grew up with troy batch,someone gave him an aussie t shirt,so what,i dosnt worry me in the slightist.

To work in the pits/have creditation, you have to wear the official 'suit' so to speak.

Im 99% certain that once you have represented a nation at an FIM event you can't then ride for another.
Yes but this is speedway the Mickey Mouse sport :lol: :lol:

Is this new? Surely Ferjan has been in both the Slovenian and Hungarian SWC team :unsure:

Didn't Crump ride for both Australia and Poland just yesterday? :P

I couldn't give a fig what Woffinden was up to in the pits, or was wearing either for that matter. Not that I actually have any figs... :blink:

Edited by Seb the Snail

Same here, it does'nt bother me at all, fair play to him for staying there and helping others out in the pit's and gaining a bit more experience of what goes on in these events. Good on ya Tai .

I couldn't give a fig what Woffinden was up to in the pits, or was wearing either for that matter. Not that I actually have any figs... :blink:

Thats 'cause you've already given them away!!

Don't be to hard on the kid his team just lost the first test today :lol:

Unfortunately I agree with you .......and so does my bank manager !! ........Doh !! :unsure:

Tai wearing the t-shirt is no different to Leigh's Polish mechanic wearing an Aussie shirt. Anybody questioning his loyalties?

Agreed there, but the difference is Leighs mechanics are 'employed' by him, Tai had just represented GB in the play off, Rob Lyon we are told is trying to build 'team spirit', Tai is only young and part of the future, from my point of view it looked odd to see a guy who has just represented team GB, just 2 days later in an other teams shirt. Yes I know Tai was brought up in Australia so is bound to have an affinty with the country, but he had the choice as I understand of representing GB or Australia. He chose GB. Using football as an example, we have to, as whether we like it or not it is the most popular and most televised sport, imagine if England were in the world cup, and get knocked out in the quarter finals, David Beckham is then seen with an Italian shirt on sat in the stands, because they got through in another quarter final and he plays for an Italian club. What would the press say, let alone the FA.

Regards to all, Alan.

Admittedly, it was strange seeing him in the pits for Oz on Sunday, but what's he supposed to do? He grew up there, and has known most of the aussies all his life. Is he now supposed to ignore them because he declares himself a Brit? Maybe he was in Poland for a league meeting, so why not go along to support his mates?

Some of you need to get a grip. probably the same people who whinge and moan about Pearson et al.

Agreed there, but the difference is Leighs mechanics are 'employed' by him, Tai had just represented GB in the play off, Rob Lyon we are told is trying to build 'team spirit', Tai is only young and part of the future, from my point of view it looked odd to see a guy who has just represented team GB, just 2 days later in an other teams shirt. Yes I know Tai was brought up in Australia so is bound to have an affinty with the country, but he had the choice as I understand of representing GB or Australia. He chose GB. Using football as an example, we have to, as whether we like it or not it is the most popular and most televised sport, imagine if England were in the world cup, and get knocked out in the quarter finals, David Beckham is then seen with an Italian shirt on sat in the stands, because they got through in another quarter final and he plays for an Italian club. What would the press say, let alone the FA.

Regards to all, Alan.

So how do you know Tai wasn't 'employed' by one of the Aussie riders on Sunday? He may have been doing it for fun or as a favour but he might also have been doing it as a 'job' for the day! Only he knows that but you are just jumping to conclusions rather than having all the facts!