British Speedway Forum
tomazpozrl

Slovenian Gp, Krsko 12.9.

All these comments about the GP but how many of you were actually there watching it live & soaking up the atmosphere?

Those of us who were there think it was better than you are saying on this forum.Agreed that gate 1 was distinctly favoured for 1st 12 heats but there were close races despite little overtaking,there were certain riders who were not pushing themselves but others who were racers.Krsko is a nice stadium,easy to find & where can you watch the top riders in the world for less than you would pay to go into an Elite League fixture in UK

Not talking about local track, this is to do with piggy backing SKY coverage online.

i used to have sky last year, but got sick mof paying all that money per month just to go to football.

now i get the gp's via a polish web site, is this dishonest? probably but you cant stop technology.

i now spend zero money on sky saving lots of cash and as a result i go to more home bees meetings, isnt that a better use of my cash?

to support the day to team rather than the circus?

Tomcat i agree on you that the tracks normally are very slick but the isse with Krsko yesterday was that the put some new shale on

and it was very loose and heavy plus over watered meaning that most of the engines couldnt cope with it.

Atleast that was what the swdish commentators said.

But it doesn't matter really, because i agree with you on that it was a borefest because of crap track.

Edited by Ghostwalker

i used to have sky last year, but got sick mof paying all that money per month just to go to football.

now i get the gp's via a polish web site, is this dishonest? probably but you cant stop technology.

i now spend zero money on sky saving lots of cash and as a result i go to more home bees meetings, isnt that a better use of my cash?

to support the day to team rather than the circus?

i dunno mate, i pay for my Sky, i pay to watch my racing for 37 years & some meathead thinks i'm a free-loader cos i watch it on a laptop with freinds for once :rolleyes::blink:

Edited by colincooke

I'm lucky enough to have seen top-flight racing running with 18-19 tracks and a large proportion running to large crowds on Friday and Saturday nights.

Me too, and I have mourned the death of weekend speedway. And moved on because there was no other choice.

Now I see a BEL on his last legs, struggling to keep a nine team league going, running to pathetically low crowds and having to avoid Saturday and Friday nights like the plague except for the odd weekend where there are no GPs. Now it seems even Thursdays are becoming too inconvenient. I also see huge gaps in fixture lists with too many tracks lying idle through prime weeks of the season and several tracks running out of official fixtures before September has even got going, or worse August in Peterborough's case.

The issue lies not with the GPs but the lack of EL teams. 9 teams is not enough to run a league that lasts wants to run past the middle of August. And this has been proven again and again. Personally, I loved it when we were in the PL because we saw different teams week in and week out rather than seeing Coventry, Peterborough, Wolves etc. 4 times in a season.

All this so that the likes of Slovenia can have one big, pointless and tedious meeting like last night.

See above - 9 teams in a league has brought about the gaps, not the advent of the GPs. The GPs have been going on for about 14 years now, if memory serves. And when they started the top flight was a lot bigger and we didn't have the issues we have now. TBF we also didn't have riders demanding such exorbitant amounts of money to ride - and promotions not paying their riders was something we never heard about.

Perhgaps it is best if the BEL retreats to Monday night racing with say four to six tracks running with all-star teams for about a dozen meetings each a season, and let the rest of speedway get on with it.

Oh please. Now you're just being silly. And patronising.

You wouldn't tell a sick person that there was no point in treating them because "time has moved on" or "the past is the past". Why do we do that to an ailing Elite League?

See point above.

It seems obvious to me that you have put your own slant on what I wrote. To clarify:

We can go on moaning about the GPs for the next 200 years. We can moan about the lack of teams, lack of meetings, GP riders, or lack of them. And we can keep on moaning about them ad nauseum. But at the end of the day, we - the paying public - have absolutely no say in what happens. It's not down to us. We have to accept that the powers that be will continue to push a tired GP formula on an increasing disinterested public, and that we will not significantly increase the amounts of teams that compete which would breathe new life into an ailing league (or even leagues), fantastic though it is to see new teams coming forward.

I am saying that we should be realists - "people power" does not, at the moment, rule in Speedway. It is run by a significant few, with their own agendas and ideas. Anyone trying to influence this significant few is, quite bluntly, pushing water up a hill. If the supporters had a representative with a say, then it might be a different matter.

I would seriously consider putting these three in next season regardless of age. They are all racers and would be a kick in the ass for the series instead of some of the ageing riders that are taking up space at the moment.

The current top 10 of Crump, Emil, Gollob, Hancock, Jonsson, Bjerre, Lindgren, Pedersen and Andersen along with the top three from Coventry (Holder could be one) and two from Holder, Woffinden and Ward would make a much better 15 line up and start bringing in new faces who like Emil go full out for every point.

Agree

The riders from the GP Challenge should be given the 9-11 race jackets and the next four given 12-15 relating to where they finished in the previous series (if they were in) with new riders taking the lower numbers.

Quite frankly that should be taken out and a run-off would have been much better way of deciding it.

I'm no Nicki fan to say the least, but he was the rider that should have been excluded but when Gollob cut across them both, Nicki couldn't shut off because Emil was inside him and only lifting at that split second caused the accident.

As for crap riding from Emil ... is that the same Emil that was thanked by both Hancock and Gollob for avoiding them when falling and the same Emil that was so crap it affected his scores ... 3 3 3 3 3 3 6 ... Shockingly crap :blink:

The incident that got the race stopped I'm talking about. Holta was away and gone until their over exhuberence caused the stoppage. 6 points would and should have been a big fat zero, so stop talking bollox.

Edited by srbramble

Me too, and I have mourned the death of weekend speedway. And moved on because there was no other choice.

The issue lies not with the GPs but the lack of EL teams. 9 teams is not enough to run a league that lasts wants to run past the middle of August. And this has been proven again and again. Personally, I loved it when we were in the PL because we saw different teams week in and week out rather than seeing Coventry, Peterborough, Wolves etc. 4 times in a season.

See above - 9 teams in a league has brought about the gaps, not the advent of the GPs. The GPs have been going on for about 14 years now, if memory serves. And when they started the top flight was a lot bigger and we didn't have the issues we have now. TBF we also didn't have riders demanding such exorbitant amounts of money to ride - and promotions not paying their riders was something we never heard about.

Oh please. Now you're just being silly. And patronising.

See point above.

It seems obvious to me that you have put your own slant on what I wrote. To clarify:

We can go on moaning about the GPs for the next 200 years. We can moan about the lack of teams, lack of meetings, GP riders, or lack of them. And we can keep on moaning about them ad nauseum. But at the end of the day, we - the paying public - have absolutely no say in what happens. It's not down to us. We have to accept that the powers that be will continue to push a tired GP formula on an increasing disinterested public, and that we will not significantly increase the amounts of teams that compete which would breathe new life into an ailing league (or even leagues), fantastic though it is to see new teams coming forward.

I am saying that we should be realists - "people power" does not, at the moment, rule in Speedway. It is run by a significant few, with their own agendas and ideas. Anyone trying to influence this significant few is, quite bluntly, pushing water up a hill. If the supporters had a representative with a say, then it might be a different matter.

So there is no other choice. Yes that is defeatist and far more patronising than anything I posted. We mifght as well just let the sport fade away with that kind of attitude.

I'm quite sincere about the smaller BEL. At present there is an attitude that everybody is out of step apart from the likes of Poole, Swindon Coventry & Wolverhampton and those who can't compete financially are simply not trying hard enough. There are times when I am sure that many people wish that you could all go off and play your own private little games, take your tedious on-line battles with you and let the rest of speedway get on with it.

Rob McCaffery

So there is no other choice. Yes that is defeatist and far more patronising than anything I posted. We mifght as well just let the sport fade away with that kind of attitude.

I'm quite sincere about the smaller BEL. At present there is an attitude that everybody is out of step apart from the likes of Poole, Swindon Coventry & Wolverhampton and those who can't compete financially are simply not trying hard enough. There are times when I am sure that many people wish that you could all go off and play your own private little games, take your tedious on-line battles with you and let the rest of speedway get on with it.

Rob McCaffery

I have a challenge for you then. I may be defeatest - but I challenge youto find a working alternative that doesn't mean losing even more clubs from an already far too small EL. One that we can put into place and that guarantees the result we all want and that ALL clubs, regardless of league, can agree to. Then, come back and tell us all about it and - here's the important bit - put it into practice. I won't hold my breath though because I get the impression you will be a long time finding such an alternative.

And this will be my final word to you on this matter.