British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scunny Stag

Scunthorpe - Kenny Smith Memorial Meeting 23rd Oct 7.30pm

From www.scunthorpespeedway.com

Bridger and Klindt replace sick duo

World Cup riders Lewis Bridger and Nicolai Klindt have been brought in as late replacements for flu-stricken duo Tai Woffinden and Scott Nicholls for tonight’s Kenny Smith Memorial meeting at Scunthorpe’s Eddie Wright Raceway. Former Scorpion Woffinden and Nicholls, a regular for eight seasons in the Grand Prix, were both determined to ride if at all possible but have had to admit defeat to virus that they both seemed to pick up in Poland over the weekend.

Commenting on the changes Scunthorpe Promoter Rob Godfrey admitted “It is obviously disappointing to have two more high profile riders have to withdraw but both are entirely legitimate and I guess these things are sent to try us. Thankfully we have two up and coming international riders to take their places and both Lewis and Nicolai actually contacted us knowing we had been having a run of bad luck with this meeting. Lewis will line-up for the Scorpions whilst Nicolai will join four other Elite League riders (Simon Stead, Adam Skornicki, Cameron Woodward and Dawid Stachyra) in the Smithy’s Seven side. Whilst we haven’t got the Grand Prix riders we were hoping for it is still by far the best line-up we’ve ever had. We’ve got a decent weather forecast so I’m sure we’re in for a fantastic evening’s racing”.

Has Lewis ate humble pie after his antics in the Rye House double header at our place. Will be interesting to see the response he gets as we have not got short memories or are thick skinned. Yes, i know it's for Kenny and the future development of the EWR, but he is one rider i would rather not see there tonight.

Weather for tonight is dry but could be cool! http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today....code=Scunthorpe

Sunny at the moment so the track and racing will be top class-as usual at the EWR. For the first timers, you will never believe the type of racing we are accustomed to-win or lose, we have seen great speedway. Just remember the sky meeting at scunny earlier in the season.

A memorable night at the EWR. Why is it when I am at Scunthorpe I always feel good, my lad summed it up tonight on the way home " It's homely and it feels like the grass roots of speedway"!!

Some first class racing on offer tonight and it was good to stay for all the race jacket auctions and all the rider interviews. We also ventured in to the Billabong tonight with some friends and it has a nice warm friendly atmosphere about it. All in all a great nights entertainment capped by the announcement that a certain Mr Jason Crump had footed the bill for all the race jackets !!! What a top bloke!!! Kenny you would have been proud of tonight it was fantastic, God Bless You

Jeremiah Thelaus..?

Who is he then..??? :unsure:

21 yr old swede, rides in the swedish 2nd and 3rd divisions, riding at berwick today and the scottish open on friday, his scores in sweden are good, sounds like he took a nasty spill last night

This was a very enjoyable meeting, some cracking racing, good weather ( not even cold ) and a good crowd.....A fitting tribute to Kenny and he would be as proud as punch that one of his lads won the first shield.....That final race was awesome ....Cash up for grabs the lads were up for it! so well done Magnus you deserved your win.

21 yr old swede, rides in the swedish 2nd and 3rd divisions, riding at berwick today and the scottish open on friday, his scores in sweden are good, sounds like he took a nasty spill last night

It was really awful, he exited the second bend extremely wide and clattered the fence and went through it at an alarming rate of knots. we were standing midway down the straight between the 2nd & 3rd bend and had a birds eye view of the whole incident :shock: It was a huge relief when after 5 minutes or so he got up and walked back to the pits a little unsure on his feet. He has to be one of the luckiest young men for a long time. Sadly though his bike was trashed and he could take no further part in the meeting. Hopefully I don't see a crash like that again for many many years to come.

It was really awful, he exited the second bend extremely wide and clattered the fence and went through it at an alarming rate of knots. we were standing midway down the straight between the 2nd & 3rd bend and had a birds eye view of the whole incident :shock: It was a huge relief when after 5 minutes or so he got up and walked back to the pits a little unsure on his feet. He has to be one of the luckiest young men for a long time. Sadly though his bike was trashed and he could take no further part in the meeting. Hopefully I don't see a crash like that again for many many years to come.

I was watching from the stand behind the start line, saw him exit out of turn 2, he was traveling at a hell of a rate of knots! He was probably not aware of the speed you can get on bend 2 near the air fence. Anyways I glanced to turn 3 & looked back as I heard the crowd gasp, he had disappeared! over the air fence from what I could see, a very very lucky man to walk away from that unscathed except for his damaged bike & pride. I was so very glad to see him walk away.

Suprised nobody commented on Bridgers fall on turn 4, slid into the air fence, up in 1 minute uninjured. These air fences are fantastic & I just wish as a sport we could do more to help out the less affluent teams afford them. The whole purpose of the meeting was to honor the great man Kenny Smith & also to provide funds for Scunthorpe a new air fence, a job well done on both counts.

The racing was as good as ever and in some races you just couldn't pick a winner at the start line even with the PL & EL boys racing together. I did enjoy the ole donut from Skornici & Bridgers full track wheelie! Overall a great night out.

PS I cant remember if this has been posted yet but Scunthorpe are going to be holding a meeting on December 27th, fantastic news to keep us going during the long winter months.

Some superb racing last night... might even go as far as to say some of the best racing I have seen this year.

Was a most enjoyable night all round..good racing, presentations, fireworks, interviews, weather etc..Kenny would've been so proud. One of the best sights of the night was seeing young Jeramia walking around the bar looking none the worse for his crash...how he got up from that i'll never know. Bridger hit the fence pretty hard too, thankfully he was quick to his feet and able to complete the meeting. Congrats to Magnus, deserved winner and fitting that it went to one of Kennys boys. More good news was the announcement that he'd done the deal to ride for the Scorpions next year, as did David Howe :-)

Edited by Albert

Some superb racing last night... might even go as far as to say some of the best racing I have seen this year.

You should have seen Ritchie Hawkins & Darcy Ward two weeks ago :shock: It reminded me of the good old days of Coatbridge in 1969, and that is saying something.

But you are 100% correct mate, superb race track, superb racing, week in week out. A huge congrats to everyone associated with Scunthorpe speedway, you have got a right little gem, in the shape of the EWR :lol: