British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

British Riders

Just my opinion, but if I was the FIM and they wanted 2 Brits in the GP I'd do this:-

Have the British Riders Championship on Wednesday 10th March 2010 at Peterborough, top two to qualify for the GP series, 3 & 4 reserves for the British GP.

1, Lee Richardson

2, Scott Nicholls

3, Chris Harris

4, Simon Stead

5, Edward Kennett

6, Oliver Allen

7, Lewis Bridger

8, Tai Woffinden

9, Daniel King

10, James Wright

11, James Grieves

12, Ben Barker

13, Jordon Frampton

14, Joe Haines

15, Robert Mear

15, Andrew Tully

Always believed in qualification, not nomination

I believe that a British Championship has been held, at Poole, and the winner was Chris Harris and the runner-up Edward Kennett

On this basis, therefore, Bomber and Ed should be the two Brits in next year's GP series

Always believed in qualification, not nomination

I believe that a British Championship has been held, at Poole, and the winner was Chris Harris and the runner-up Edward Kennett

On this basis, therefore, Bomber and Ed should be the two Brits in next year's GP series

Don't think Ed has done anything near enough to be gifted a spot. Didn't even get through his initial qualifier and his form in the major leagues is inferior to Richardson.

Bit hard to second guess the nominations prior to the GP challenge, because the qualifiers at Coventry and indeed the top 8 at the end of the season will have a lot of bearing over who gets picked.

Its possible that of the 11 who qualify by right then there may be only 1 Pole (Gollob) so at least 2 of the nominations would almost certainly be handed their way. Which leaves it less likely there may be 2 Brits.

Don't think Ed has done anything near enough to be gifted a spot. Didn't even get through his initial qualifier and his form in the major leagues is inferior to Richardson.

But if the British Championship is the qualifier, as suggested, Ed makes it as second-placed rider

Apparently on Polsat monday night it was said that if Bomber doesn't make it through the GP Challenge then Tai will get a Wildcard.How much truth the Polish journo knows remains to be seen.But........ :unsure:

But if the British Championship is the qualifier, as suggested, Ed makes it as second-placed rider

You are supposing there "has" to be 2 British riders. Surely if they are not up to the standard of the other 13 there is no point having them!

Why should the British Championship be the qualifier? The rest of the world has to compete against each other to get a spot.

You are supposing there "has" to be 2 British riders. Surely if they are not up to the standard of the other 13 there is no point having them!

Why should the British Championship be the qualifier? The rest of the world has to compete against each other to get a spot.

Don't ask me ! It was a suggestion by "screamer"

All I've done is show who would have qualified under that scenario

Mind you, the Brits used to qualify (generally) by themselves, the continentals via European/Continental/Nordic/whatever qualifiers, for the PROPER World Championship

Edit : Yes, I know, the ANZACs were with the Brits too - but we had more than two qualifiers!

Edited by Midland Red

I just hope Tai wins the World U21 final at least then they can use that as the reason he is seeded into the GP's...

I just hope Tai wins the World U21 final at least then they can use that as the reason he is seeded into the GP's...

Would certainly give him an improved case, but its a tough ask...

And completely destroy the boy, yeah great idea. :rolleyes:

He already has enough qualifications to be in there next season

British U18 Champion, British U21 Champion, PLRC Champion, Average 7.47 in his first EL season (8.36 with BP) and unlike Harris, Nicholls and Richardson, he hasn't tried and tried and tried and failed virtually every GP !

Tai for me should be the only British GP rider in 2010 with Bomber as the Cardiff Wild Card.

He already has enough qualifications to be in there next season

British U18 Champion, British U21 Champion, PLRC Champion, Average 7.47 in his first EL season (8.36 with BP) and unlike Harris, Nicholls and Richardson, he hasn't tried and tried and tried and failed virtually every GP !

Tai for me should be the only British GP rider in 2010 with Bomber as the Cardiff Wild Card.

Agree, and I'd go one stage further and nominate one of the younger British riders in the 'Team GB' squad as the wild card, let's have an end to this 'Nicholls deserves it as he's been the British no 1 for many years', the clue is in the word "been".

He's been abysmal this year, and pretty awful in the past two, and quite frankly it has been embarressing to watch him.

Andy Smith got some flak for keeping on when it was obvious he was not in the same class as the rest of the GP riders, well in my opinion Nicholls this season made Smith look a quality rider.

Saying that we should use the PLRC as a guide to who should be in the GP is as moronic an idea as I have ever read on here. Unless, of course, you think that they should pick James Wright ahead of Chris Holder? :blink:

The permanent 15 should be picked on their ability to ride a speedway bike not some quirk as to the nation of their birth. :blink: