British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ross

Ole Olsen Youtube Clip

A cracking video B)

Think you are going a bit too far to suggest that.Ole was as everyone has said a terrific rider.Great to watch around Plough Lane and i was at Wembley in 75.But there were a few top class danish riders before Ole came on the scene and no doubt there would have been a few come along if Ole hadn't had the success he did.But his contribution to Speedway in Denmark is never the less imense.He was always one of my favourite away riders in his colourful leathers.........but to me he is more a Wolves rider.All my pics of him are in his Wolves bodycolours,i think

Sorry Iris123 I have to disagree with you, without Ole's influence speedway in Denmark would not be what it is today.

You say thar there was a number of top class Danish riders before him, I wish you could would name them.

In 1973 the Danish & Norweign team had to conbine to make a creditable team, for that years International tournament, because there was not a enough riders from either nation, to make a full team. Where were the Danish top class riders then?

Edited by Robbie B

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Sep 16 2009, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You say thar there was a number of top class Danish riders before him, I wish you could would name them.

Just two for the moment.There is an excellent Danish speedway history site.But this early in the morning i can't find it :lol: I'll try later for you

Morian Hansen Denmarks first World Finalist.....and look at the World Rankings for 1960 here

I' am no doubting that Denmark had some good riders now and again before, Ole Olsen. But it was during the end and after of Ole's racing career that the Danes came to the forefront of international speedway. Arne Pander despite being a very fine rider never made a World Final.

The first official test between England & Denmark didn’t take place until 1981, at Hackney. I was there watching the Danes getting beaten 62 – 46 quite easily by the English team, I wish we could say that would happen today.

Ole’s, three World Championship must have inspired many of the forthcoming Danish riders that followed him. From the late seventies into the early eighties onwards there has been a glut of very talented riders from Denmark.

Ole’s master stroke I reckon was building Vojens stadium. Then he brought the worlds’ best riders into Denmark to inspire the locals. Danish speedway really took off after this. This left a legacy that continues till this day.

He may now have his critics with regards to the speedway GP series, but you can’t dispute his overall influence to Danish speedway for the last forty-odd years.

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Sep 16 2009, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He may now have his critics with regards to the speedway GP series, but you can’t dispute his overall influence to Danish speedway for the last forty-odd years.

Is anyone disputing that fact?Certainly not me.I was just stating that i thought Danish speedway would exist without Olsen,just nowhere near the success they have had.You then asked for names of top Danish riders and i gave them to you.I think if someone was ranked no.4 in the world,that enables them to be classed as "top" :rolleyes: Up to that point how many "top" riders did Russia have?But speedway still existed.And how many "top" riders has Argentina had?But speedway has existed for donkeys years there as well. :wink:

Iris123, I do agree with you that Morten Hansen and Arne Pander were world class riders in their day.

Qualifying for World Finals years ago was very much harder then today, where if you finish in the top eight places or if your face fits the right GP criteria you are in. Even Ole himself and other World Champions in the past never qualified for the following seasons final.

Speedway would still exist in Denmark even if Ole never rode a bike, but I don’t think this nation would be as strong as they are now, without his influence.

As for Argentina, I know that speedway has been running their but not in massive (ie having teams in World Cups or other major International competitions) for many years, and long may it continue I say.

It would also be good for speedway if other nations that has have much success like New Zealand and the USA having a strong complimentary of riders challenging for titles. And it also is nice to see them back in the World Cup challenging for the title again. I remember the day at White City in 1979 when New Zealand won. They surely would have won many more titles if their riders didn’t have to ride for Great Britain.

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Sep 16 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Argentina, I know that speedway has been running their but not in massive (ie having teams in World Cups or other major International competitions) for many years, and long may it continue I say.

Funny you mention this,because there was a rumour on the net a few days back that Argentina have applied to enter next years SWC.Whether there is any truth or whether they have much chance of being accepted i don't know.

I didn't know that was a rumour about Argentina entering the SWC, but more teams the merry I say :lol:

Very nice pictures Iris123

Edited by Robbie B

Interesting comment from the commentator (Lanning?).

Ole Olsen the last of an era as now the machinery is starting to become more important than the rider (or something along those lines). How true that comment has turned out to be.

This reminded me of the Golden Helmet decider held at King's Lynn in 74(?).

Phil Crump v Olsen: 4 valve v 2 valve.

Olsen won, but the writing was on the wall and engine innovation led speedway into a new era.

Whether it was a better one is another discussion altogether.

Interesting comment from the commentator (Lanning?).

Ole Olsen the last of an era as now the machinery is starting to become more important than the rider (or something along those lines). How true that comment has turned out to be.

I sometimes wonder about all of these technical developments in speedway. Yesterday I read somewhere that Berwick's track record is still held by - wait for it - Steve McDermott! This must mean that either the bikes are getting no faster or else the tracks are getting slower. I wonder which it is?

I sometimes wonder about all of these technical developments in speedway. Yesterday I read somewhere that Berwick's track record is still held by - wait for it - Steve McDermott! This must mean that either the bikes are getting no faster or else the tracks are getting slower. I wonder which it is?

Ian, The bikes are definately faster now. They probably have a good second a lap advantage over the last of the uprights.. But.. I think the deep tracks suited the uprights and the laydowns are too much of a handful to race a consistent four fast laps on anything deep. So, he probably set the record on a deep track. How long did Neilsens track record stand at Oxford? He was on an upright correct? Could be wrong, dead brain cells. My gosh, a hybrid modern bike with the latest short stroke engines, latest forks in an upright frame on a really deep track with a capable racer would be really interesting. :wink:

p.s. how have the residuals been going from the old music? has the trend toward hip hop and rap cut them back and if so are you going to have to downsize to a smaller boat without air conditioning and ice maker?

Check out the size of that crowd at Brandon! Awesome!

Bet Mr Sandhu wouldn't mind a crowd like that these days! :lol:

I might have even been there but i would have only been 4 so i can't remember... will have to ask the old man!

Great video, thanks for sharing it with us.

p.s. how have the residuals been going from the old music? has the trend toward hip hop and rap cut them back and if so are you going to have to downsize to a smaller boat without air conditioning and ice maker?

Things ain't what they used to be on the old royalty front, Sandman. The main problem has been free music sites on the web. It's OK until it hits you in the pocket.

Smaller boat? No aircon? No icemaker? Come on! You won't be happy until I'm reduced to sitting in a sailboat waiting to see whether the wind blows. In fact, if I ever make another album I'll name it after you Sandman. "Waiting to see whether the wind blows".

Things ain't what they used to be on the old royalty front, Sandman. The main problem has been free music sites on the web. It's OK until it hits you in the pocket.

Smaller boat? No aircon? No icemaker? Come on! You won't be happy until I'm reduced to sitting in a sailboat waiting to see whether the wind blows. In fact, if I ever make another album I'll name it after you Sandman. "Waiting to see whether the wind blows".

i dunno.. that last album you were a part of years ago kind of sucked. (no offence). but you of all people know late morning and afternoons the wind blows except when ya get becalmed. still its better that getting pooped mid ocean, besides, when things are a bit tough :wink: a set of sails are cheaper than diesel.

anyway, anybody else notice how the tracks were slick in these old films? even norden, where Ole gets covered in wet shale there is still dust? still, Ole had a really great style. and why do all the danes talk with a kiwi accent when they speak english?