British Speedway Forum
WembleyLion

Coventry V Hull 13th October 1979

Ah,put some Castrol R in the burner....on the patio with a bottle of something strong....hic! :lol:

My dad was there that night. He said the atmosphere was electric though the size of the crowd was no bigger than British Final crowds in the 70s and arguably smaller than we used to get at Hyde Road for BLRC nights - but as a league match it may well have been the biggest ever. Shame speedway attendances aren't published. :neutral:

Yes indeed, Leicester were the 'support act' in the Midland Cup or something similar. The Bees won 53 - 25 I think.

Gosh! It's a good job I can't remember anything about our match with the Bees. :lol:

...the size of the crowd was no bigger than British Final crowds in the 70s and arguably smaller than we used to get at Hyde Road for BLRC nights

I thought Hyde Road was 18,000 full to the brim, which it was a good few times, but I may well be wrong :oops:

As for British Finals, none of the Coventry ones ever got over 20,000. Two meetings at Brandon stand way above all others when it comes to packin' em in...this Hull meeting and Nigel Boocock's meeting with 23,000 enjoying a sunny Sunday afternoon B)

Including a seven-year-old Stephen Turner being taken round the track sat on Booey's handlebars ! :)

I thought Hyde Road was 18,000 full to the brim, which it was a good few times, but I may well be wrong :oops:

As for British Finals, none of the Coventry ones ever got over 20,000. Two meetings at Brandon stand way above all others when it comes to packin' em in...this Hull meeting and Nigel Boocock's meeting with 23,000 enjoying a sunny Sunday afternoon B)

Including a seven-year-old Stephen Turner being taken round the track sat on Booey's handlebars ! :)

what about the brandonapolis that doubled up as the ole olsen farewell. it looked like a massive crowd that day, am i right in thinking it was 1983.

what about the brandonapolis that doubled up as the ole olsen farewell. it looked like a massive crowd that day, am i right in thinking it was 1983.

Yes 20,000 that day as well - see the recent Ole Olsen youtube thread also in the years gone by section.

Edited by WembleyLion

Eight days before this league finale, Kelly Moran was injured in a meaningless second half race at Wolves, just after the Vikings had beaten the home team (52-26 if I recall correctly). Ian Thomas had reportedly lined up another Hull 'asset', one Barry Briggs, to replace Moran, but Coventry got excited and objected (can't remember now what the reason was, but the SCB upheld the objection).

Given the previous debacles that season, especially at Wimbledon, Hull didn't desrve to win the title, but just three more match points at Coventry would have earned a draw and the title. Only the Peterborough/Reading final has ever got that close.

But on a personal note, it sure kept me busy organising the fleet of coaches for the trip to Coventry. Almost happy days

......but just three more match points at Coventry would have earned a draw and the title. Only the Peterborough/Reading final has ever got that close.

Actually, Wolverhampton/BV in 1993 was closer. Last heat decider, 3 points in it.