British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rainman

World Cup 2010

It's been one week that we've talked about Woof and EK for the WC and I'm afraid thats it's gonna turn out real. I think it was great what Zorro did, nobody wanted him in it, Ghostwalker being the biggest antifan of them all (from Zorro's hometown and all...) but all the best for Zorro! :approve:He made it!! You could do the same.

Wrong again. I have nothing against Zorro, on the contrary he was a good asset for Smederna this season and

i thought that it was good to have him back were he belonged.

Even if he didnt score well in all the meetings i think he in a

way kept the others going by being supportive in the pits.

I am just not thrilled to see him or any other rider of his standard in the GPs

no matter if they are via qualifying or by WC.

Edited by Ghostwalker

I am just not thrilled to see him or any other rider of his standard in the GPs

no matter if they are via qualifying or by WC.

Agreed!

It's a farce, he may have "earned" it but really he only had too have two good meetings (the semi final - he was seeded for wining the Swedish title last year) and the Final, and then its hello GP's.... :rolleyes:

People love underdogs (even me) but save it for the leagues, this is THE WORLDS BEST... we've already seen Grzegorz Walasek and Sebastian Ulamek waste two perfectly good GP places.... and as predicted wouldn't be consistantly competative... we didn't know that Nicholls & Harris would be the worst in the series so although their slots were wasted, they were predicted to do better, and as you can tell Zorro is predicted to do terrible, Holder is expected to do alright but could have a mare, so its pointless giving it to Zorro.... but you'll get people post and say "he's earned it" bla bla bla.... :rolleyes:

It's been one week that we've talked about Woof and EK for the WC and I'm afraid thats it's gonna turn out real. I think it was great what Zorro did, nobody wanted him in it, Ghostwalker being the biggest antifan of them all (from Zorro's hometown and all...) but all the best for Zorro! :approve:He made it!! You could do the same.

UK make's a difference in world speedway still. Very strong domestic structure (still), loads of meetings and as the other leagues are caught up with their pay structure UK might survive. But the fact remains that you lot suck on track on the international scene. Finland does too, but you know we only had 29 licenced Finnish riders riding in the two Finnish leagues last year and about half of them are KC level, beaten by a half a lap by Katajisto. Sweden has 200+ licenses (all combined) and Denmark reportedly (Spar 2009) 800+. On the other hand, maybe it's like F1, we only have a few, but they are the best! :lol:

Aint that sort of crap, Cardiff was only a few hundred short from the year before even with P'borough SWC..? With the global situation were are in. I have first hand experience about it. :neutral: And more regarding about Cardiff, (still) there are only so many people badmouthing the GP on here, yet Cardiff still gets 40k+: full stop.

i'm sure that there is nothing wrong with the British scene other than the way that the British promoters go about their business........ the Finnish riders should rejoice about it... but the Finnish officials should sob quietly as it can only be bad for the league scene there ............... the day that we start marrying our own talent with a smart smattering of overseas guys is the day that we stop sucking ;)

lol well yes you could be right it could well be crap..... but it certainly seems to be a part of the IMG ethos

............Holder is expected to do alright but could have a mare, so its pointless giving it to Zorro.... but you'll get people post and say "he's earned it" bla bla bla.... :rolleyes:

he earned it (bla bla bla)

you have to ask yourself whether some of the issues involving 'gulfs' between riders that the gp's now have are because of the years of manipulation or because of the qualification process.............. tbf to Walasek and Ulamek I thought they did ok.... better than I thought they would

quite simply Zorro deserves to be there ...... he is most likely going to struggle but better that than all 16 riders in effect being selected on the word of a few people.................... if it is collateral damage within the notion that keeping an 'FA cup' type dream alive is an integral part of the competition .... then so be it

Can any on our Polish friends advise if what Sportowe Fakty reports is correct, that the SWC is to be renamed the "World Team Championship" or has Google Translate got it wrong ?

It is the final sentence of this report

English Translation here

Polish original here

There's also some other news about BSI not being all that happy with the Polish press leaking information regarding the deal with Gorzow Wlkp to stage the SWC / WTC there next year here

Edited by ballinger

But the fact remains that you lot suck on track on the international scene.

Perhaps our boys just lack belief in their own abilities, that's probably why so many stay in the PL. They need as much track time on big tracks as they can get so they feel confident on the huge Polish tracks and do the job required. Most bloody world championship rounds and of course the GP series are held on big tracks, no good riding great round the likes of Rye House then thinking you can do it in Poland etc ................. are my thoughts wrong?

'FA cup' type dream alive is an integral part of the competition .... then so be it

Yeah why have a world championship for the very best riders in a certain sport.... instead we could let has-beens that never were... have a crack at the world title - and infact most likely flop miserably, like Walasek & Ulamek.... and they're of a better standard than Zorro.... :unsure:

Yeah why have a world championship for the very best riders in a certain sport.... instead we could let has-beens that never were... have a crack at the world title - and infact most likely flop miserably, like Walasek & Ulamek.... and they're of a better standard than Zorro.... :unsure:

no motor sport world championship is contested by the best racers ....... most instead are made up of those with the best connections and whos face fits

a competition involving the best 16 riders in the world is a great dream..... but its just a dream as no one can remain impartial ... as IMG are proving... suddenly 'box office' becomes an apparent key factor with guys like Lindback and Woffinden becoming must have's whether they are ready or not and whether there are other unfashionable riders who are better than them or not ...... then we have 'quota' as a factor regardless of if one of the 'major' speedway nations has the riders to really contend or not

a closed shop competition is just as flawed as the old qualification system used to be and although I would prefer a bit more of a radical qualifying system ... things arent badly balanced at the moment............... if anything the biggest issue is probably for IMG to recognise that they need to find a way to level the playing field ..... and recognise that most high profile motor sports have very transparent and efficient systems for keeping things fair and cheat free ..... recognise it before something happens that would tarnish the competition anyway

Who cares, Team GB won't qualify for the final, and it's a Mickey Mouse competition with the stupid Joker.

Hey Old-timer,

You're getting us old-timers a bad name. Quaff a flagon of cider and then go and lie down in a darkened room! :wink:

It appears that Norway will be racing in the SWC qualifier at Abensberg next year.

Sportowefakty suggests that the team could possibly include the non GP racing Rune Holta !

Edited by ballinger

It appears that Norway will be racing in the SWC qualifier at Abensberg next year.

Sportowefakty suggests that the team will include the non GP racing Rune Holta !

It doesn't really suggest he will be riding, it more asks the question of whether he might race after not being included in the Polish team this year.

Sportowefakty suggests that the team could possibly include the non GP racing Rune Holta !

Taken from the page above - Lettish, Czechs and Germans.

Who is Lettish - Latvia maybe??

Also this suprises me as I thought the draw was being made early December!!

So who does that leave in the Italy round if Norway are now added?

We are planning on following the USA in the early round (I love the underdogs!) but didnt think we could plan our trip yet.

Anyone got any info that would help.

Thanks

EDIT - found it. But we are sure it was supposed to be announced 4th December.

But we now know we are going to Lonigo and will be against - Slovenia, Finland and Italy.

Edited by Sandie

Taken from the page above - Lettish, Czechs and Germans.

Who is Lettish - Latvia maybe??

Also this suprises me as I thought the draw was being made early December!!

So who does that leave in the Italy round if Norway are now added?

We are planning on following the USA in the early round (I love the underdogs!) but didnt think we could plan our trip yet.

Anyone got any info that would help.

Thanks

EDIT - found it. But we are sure it was supposed to be announced 4th December.

But we now know we are going to Lonigo and will be against - Slovenia, Finland and Italy.

Hi Sandie,

I know Lettish quite well. You are quite correct Lettish is indeed Latvian and works on the greengrocery section of my local Morrisons. :rolleyes:

Stay well - stay sane,

Ron.