British Speedway Forum
Scunny Stag

Christmas Cracker Speedway Meeting - 27th December 3pm

and i was the one who stole the fire extinguisher from the cafe to put the bike fire out :lol:

That's very bad if there was no fire extinquisher at the side of the tapes as the rules state!

Considering what weather they have had up north Scunny did really well to get this meeting running, conditions did make alot of the racing a procession, that's hardly the riders or the tracks staffs fault though.

Apart from the damned cold wind enjoyed getting my pre-season fix & hope for more at n Newport next week.

Well done to Doolan, very well done to Jerran Hart.

There we're alot of withdrawals & possibly alot of that was down to the cold effecting machinery etc.

I think Carl Wilkinson wasn't to happy with any of the assistance he got during Heat 10, firstly from Millsy, who made a right pig's ear of 2nd bend forcing him down & secondly from the track staff, don't blame him for trudging off. To cap it all the instigator of it all went & won the re-run. :rolleyes:

No fire extinguisher on the centre green, why? As someone has said that could have been Ben & not just his bike, not good enough.

Jim McGregor decision there too, well, words fail me. :rolleyes: The crowd made their feelings known on that too.

Apart from that, muchly fun. :lol:

It's absolutely appauling that they did not have a fire extinguisher to hand. What if that was a rider stuck in the fence on the second bend with their bike alight!!! This is terrible and the marshalls all just staired in amazement! Then they let Ben Barker put his own bike out. These riders go to meetings and put their lives at risk the least the tracks can do is meet the necessary safety regulations.

McGreggor made some shocking decisions. Firstly in heat 20 Richard Franklin was not going racing pace and if he is going by the rule book then he should not have got the points! Frampton did not touch the tapes and I will be getting the DVD to prove it! And Ben's exclusion, which he later changed his mind to being off 15 metres was diabolical. If a rider had fell they would get time to sort themselves and the bikes out, not put the two minutes on straight away. Fair play to Chris Mills for lending him his bike.

The fans, the riders and the promoter, who was on his knees to the referee, were all amazed by the pathetic decision.

All in all, a shocking meeting, most of the riders had to pull out due to conditions. Many fell. BUT MAINLY THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER SITUATION!!!!!!

That's very bad if there was no fire extinquisher at the side of the tapes as the rules state!

Im sure the ref should have noticed this during his pre track walk about there again we are talking about Jim Macgregor after all :lol:

Barker would have won the final

To win he was a banker

If it wasn't for Jim McGreggor

Who is a .... speedway referee

Great to see some speedway, even though if it was freezing (still thawing out :rolleyes:) . There was some good racing but the weather conditions didn't help the track but they were some good races. Doolan and Hart were fantastic in my opinion, I fancy Hart to put on at least a point on his average after his performance today, was excellent from the gate and made a great pass on Doolan (I think).

I couldn't believe that the ref put Frampton off 15m, he certainly didn't touch the tapes, and I feel he would have made the final had that decision not went against him, he would have made the final. Also I couldn't believe that they wasn't a fire extinguisher on the centre green. I also feel he should have been aloud to start from the gate but obviously the ref wanted to play scrooge :lol:.

Also it was nice to meet HalifaxTiger for the 1st time :)

It is disgraceful, rule 9.4.5 states a minimum of one fire extinguisher MUST be sited at the start gate. This can be missed or over looked by a promotion easily after a few months lay off, but for a referee to over look it is unforgivable as he has ultimate responsability for riders and marshalls safety.

The ref seriously got the Barker incident wrong - how you can penalise a rider on 2 mins after his bike set alight is beyond me - fair play to rob and the track staff for their vain attempts to get Stevie wonder to see things another way - and for getting a half decent track together - after the first half dozen or so heats the racing did improve - though nowhere near our usual passing fest and out and out racing we're used to. Jerran's pass around Doolan was awesome - he was well chuffed in the pits at the close of the meeting (as he searched for the filter under his covers thathe had shed in the final)

Doolan lived up to his billing, Ashworth went well - Barker , frampton and Bowen mixed it all afternoon, Tabaka looked half decent and Wilko was very unlucky not to have progressed after being the innocent victim of all 4 back - Millsy had a decent day and surely must be on a team sheet for 2010 somewhere

On the verandah - Priesty was lively, Tai resplendant in fluffy ear muffs with his buddies in tow, Birkinshaw was mischievous and Wilson behaved impeccably

Seeing Jim McGregor being mentioned in despatches again and seeing the obvious pain that the fans felt for his decision making, kind of makes me feel that there is something worse than being house-bound with a stinking cold. :rolleyes:

Just got back and I would like to say well done to all the riders - the conditions were certainly challenging. Well done in particular to Kevin Doolan and Jerran Hart (who continues to impress every time I see him).

if the ref had done is job there would have been a fire ex at the start gate so bens fire would have been out in say 30secs could possible have ridden his own bike in the final so make sure the ref gets reported for spoiling what could have been a good final

I have finally thawed out and can confirm that winter speedway is for the die-hards only ( but the large crowd showed that there are quite a few of them around ! ).

Track was challenging to say the least , but congrats to Doolan, class of the field.

Impressive showings from Bowen and Hart, good efforts from Frampton, Barker, Mills and Wilko. First impressions of Tabaka are that he will be full value for the Monarchs fans as far as effort goes.

The rest deserve credit for thier efforts, but any fall led to major machinery problems, so I can understand the mid-meeting withdrawals.

Gold stars to the promotion for getting the meeting on, but a massive black mark for the lack of a fire extinguisher on the start line.

Roll on March and some decent weather !

How can some people post on here that did not go to the meeting. Updates do not tell the whole story. Racing was sometimes processional, not what we, normally, observe at the EWR but what do you expect at this time of the year. Doolan was the favourite, and did not disappoint, but it was a run out for most riders and, considering the cold, some engines gave up the ghost. Only 1 bike for most riders, as could have been very costly for some. Credit to all that turned up and gave it a go.

The majority of the posts I have read up until your post, are from people who had gone to the meeting.

Edited by crazysue

The ref seriously got the Barker incident wrong - how you can penalise a rider on 2 mins after his bike set alight is beyond me

If the two minute warning had sounded and Barker was not ready within two minutes then he should be excluded whatever the cause.

Ref was awful. Jordan never touched the tapes and he was robbed of more prize money. Time after time Jim does this. How much longer before somthing is done? Didnt do much on Health and Safety checking yesterday. Bens bike was a mess. All in all i traveled from Poole and the ref ruined the meeting. Very dissapointed.