British Speedway Forum
hullangel

Whats My Line

Gosh, that's a cheery post Andy!!! :blink:

Sorry, mate. Will do a song and dance act next time! :D

Thanx for the info Andy-I well recall Ted Moult from growing up in UK-remember 6.5 Special with Wee Willie Harris, Don Lang and his Frantic Five.Also Lord Rockingham's X1-strangely enough I googled (I wish) the organist-Cherry Wainer-still alive and lives in Las Vegas-you can see her perform on a youtube clip.

I remember Take Your Pick cos my Dad was in the audience for a show.......................

And correct me if I am wrong but did a Speedway rider appear on They Think Its All Over and if so who was it????????????? Kelvin Tatum rings a bell but it might have been later than his retirement...................

RP

Thanx for the info Andy-I well recall Ted Moult from growing up in UK-remember 6.5 Special with Wee Willie Harris, Don Lang and his Frantic Five.Also Lord Rockingham's X1-strangely enough I googled (I wish) the organist-Cherry Wainer-still alive and lives in Las Vegas-you can see her perform on a youtube clip.

Pete Murray and Josephine Douglas - Ahhhhh yes - those WERE the days!! my friend. :wink: (Mary Hopkin) :wink::approve:

I remember Take Your Pick cos my Dad was in the audience for a show.......................

And correct me if I am wrong but did a Speedway rider appear on They Think Its All Over and if so who was it????????????? Kelvin Tatum rings a bell but it might have been later than his retirement...................

RP

My goodness 'Take your Pick' with Michael Miles - AND - Bob Danvers Walker with the 'Yes/No interlude with his gong. :approve:

Thanx for reminding me of Bob Danvers Walker-I used to love the yes/no segment-all very innocent.These shows would have been on in the mid fifties I guess just at the start of the Fundin era. Before I forget -recall"Thank Your Lucky Stars" and the girl who used to say "Oi'll give it foive"-think she was a Brummie-anyone know what happened to her??Bet she was a speedway fan!!!!!!!!

My goodness 'Take your Pick' with Michael Miles - AND - Bob Danvers Walker with the 'Yes/No interlude with his gong. :approve:

...except that it wasn't Bob Danvers Walker. It was someone called Alec, as I remember.

Thanx for reminding me of Bob Danvers Walker-I used to love the yes/no segment-all very innocent.These shows would have been on in the mid fifties I guess just at the start of the Fundin era. Before I forget -recall"Thank Your Lucky Stars" and the girl who used to say "Oi'll give it foive"-think she was a Brummie-anyone know what happened to her??Bet she was a speedway fan!!!!!!!!

I don't know whether she was a speedway fan, but her name was Janice.

RP

I think that was Peter Collins but he had certainly retired by then but was perhaps chosen because as an ex world champion he might have been one rider that the panel might have heard of!

If she had been a speedway fan she would have said "foive-one"!

As I recall it, Barry Briggs was featured in "This Is Your Life" hosted by Eamon Andrews. I think it was in the early 70s.

...except that it wasn't Bob Danvers Walker. It was someone called Alec, as I remember.

You are right Ian - Original "gonger": Alec Dane. Original "announcer" - Bob Danvers Walker. :approve::approve::approve:

Oi'll give you "FOIVE" for being right. :approve:

Edited by ianmartin

I think that was Peter Collins but he had certainly retired by then but was perhaps chosen because as an ex world champion he might have been one rider that the panel might have heard of!

Correct - it was PC.

During that bit Rory McGrath said to Gary Lineker "You used to go to Leicester speedway, didn't you Gary?" and Lineker admitted he had been "once or twice".

Before I forget -recall"Thank Your Lucky Stars" and the girl who used to say "Oi'll give it foive"-think she was a Brummie-anyone know what happened to her??Bet she was a speedway fan!!!!!!!!

Janice Nicholls, wasn't it? Don't know what happened to her though.

You are right Ian - Original "gonger": Alec Dane. Original "announcer" - Bob Danvers Walker. :approve::approve::approve:

Oi'll give you "FOIVE" for being right. :approve:

They (whoever THEY are) reckon that every survivor of the Titanic disaster remembers that the orchestra was laying as the ship slipped under the waves. They also reckon that no two survivors ever agreed on what tune was being played!

Janice Nicholls, wasn't it? Don't know what happened to her though.

That was the name in the back of my mind, Norman. I don't know what happened to her either. Had it been forty years later she'd be appearing on Big Brother, Strictly Dancing and that thing about people in the jungle eating worms (or whatever it is they do). I don't think the concept of the talentless celebrity had really been invented in the 1960s.

Edited by Ian