British Speedway Forum
gaztrotter

2010 Grand Prix wildcards

clear4ly for tv and advertising there needs to be 2 brits in the gp's .

in truth no brit is good enough to be in ther gp's but to have the cardiff screened on tv with 1 wild card brit would be a publicity disaster. nobody cares what we think because we go to the tracks.

so if there has to be 2 brits who would you choose?

scott? not interested

lee? not interested

who else?

the cupboard is extremely bear it doesnt take much to release that bomber and tai the only real choices.

I feel sorry for Tai this is too early for him.

unless te young brits frasp the nettle bomber will always get the call because what realistiic alternatives are there?

the world final has NEVER been about the best 16 riders in the world, it has always been fixed to allow poor countries get a representative.

remember the semi finals ? one packed full of eatsern block riders who just made the numbers up?

all that has changed is that WE are now the estern block!

what comes around goes around and id rather have 2 underperforming brits to support than joe atoz from another country.

i suspect sky would take this view also, the non speedway fan who watches the gp's would stop watching them if there are o brits.

Erm , i don't know any non-speedway fan who watches the GP 's . In fact i know quite a few speedway fans who have stopped watching the GP's , and it's got absolutely nothing to do with the amount of Brits competing .

Erm , i don't know any non-speedway fan who watches the GP 's . In fact i know quite a few speedway fans who have stopped watching the GP's , and it's got absolutely nothing to do with the amount of Brits competing .

you should check out the viewwing figures then, becauses the number of people watching the gp's is large.

if all these people went to there local tracks ther would be no problems with the sport.

at best i would say there are 40 000 active speedway supporters in this country.

Edited by philfromcov

you should check out the viewwing figures then, becauses the number of people watching the gp's is large.

if all these people went to there local tracks ther would be no problems with the sport.

at best i would say there are 40 000 active speedway supporters in this country.

I've never really understood these 'veiwing' figures, when I was a resident in the Uk and had Sky tv no one asked me what I watched. How do they arrive at these figures? I know the music singles chart at one time was, three London record shop's sales, but how do Sky work out their numbers?

IMO your about 5,000 to many with active supporters.

Read in SS that over 250,000 watched the Cardiff Grand Prix on Sky. Would have been a lot more if it had been on mainstream TV. Plus the 40,000 at the stadium.

Also remember reading that around 70,000 pay to watch at least 1 speedway meeting in a season, with crowds averaging about 30,000 a week.

I see people are still comparing non-British riders to Harris and Woffinden. There's no point...but I won't keep repeating meself.

Fight Richardson's case against them by all means. I'll pass on that one though :D

Is he even interested in doing the GP's ?

For those suggesting Zagar and Lindback...you have to prove they deserve their chance ahead of Lindgren or Andersen.

Lucifer Sam, you love your history Rob, and indeed you're using it in this case to attack the selection of Harris...but you can't use history to decide the future. Hmm...I quite like that one

Let's see...

The man who couldn't get near a point in the last World Final, went on to WIN the first Grand Prix...while the man who WON the last World Final didn't win a Grand Prix for three and a half years !

Surely there are plenty of riders who would rather not be in the GP's, or be selected, if they felt they'd be down the bottom of the chart.

It must be demoralising, embarrassing and extremely expensive.

They can't just decide to score more points.

The nature of the competition means there will be winners and losers, big scorers and low scorers...foreigners and Brits :oops:

My words on this topic are light-hearted and are perhaps a way of trying to re-awaken my interest in the GP's. Bearing in mind that I haven't seen one for 18 months, or even looked at results from any of this years' series. Having been an avid follower for many years, I became bored with the same old faces in it all the time. Not their fault I s'pose !

But some people seem genuinely angry on this thread, which I just don't get.

The main players are in it, and they're in it to win it.

That's what matters most.

And for those riders who may feel cheated by the selection process...maybe they should have qualified by right ! ;)

A long time ago, an old girlfriend of mine had a single released, and it charted at number 76, with the official sales figures that got it there approximately 160. The same week, a song called " Frankie", I think, by Sister Sledge, reached number one, with the number of sales at around the 4000 mark. Of course they don't monitor every sale, just as they don't with the viewing population.

Read in SS that over 250,000 watched the Cardiff Grand Prix on Sky. Would have been a lot more if it had been on mainstream TV. Plus the 40,000 at the stadium.

Also remember reading that around 70,000 pay to watch at least 1 speedway meeting in a season, with crowds averaging about 30,000 a week.

250 000 watch cardiff 45 000 go pretty much 300 000, around 35 000 active supporters, we make up 12% of cardiff.

proving that sky hold the whip hand, if they want 2 brits in, they get 2 brits in!

P.S (and on the side topic)

The singles chart...

Sales figures are now completely accurate, and proving to be bigger than ever before.

99% are by download and are therefore very easy to collate.

The previous Gallup sales system was setup in over 6,000 shops across Britain, and even in the 50's it was more than just "3 shops in London", honest. It automatically reported all sales via barcode readings at the till. Not infallible, but considered by experts to be accurate.

As for TV viewing figures...they're formed by using 5,100 carefully selected households, with an extremely detailed system for them to use. Sounds very much like a chore suited to anoraks...meaning that it may well be giving an exaggerated figure when it comes to speedway meetings ! :lol:

P.S (and on the side topic)

The singles chart...

Sales figures are now completely accurate, and proving to be bigger than ever before.

99% are by download and are therefore very easy to collate.

The previous Gallup sales system was setup in over 6,000 shops across Britain, and even in the 50's it was more than just "3 shops in London", honest. It automatically reported all sales via barcode readings at the till. Not infallible, but considered by experts to be accurate.

As for TV viewing figures...they're formed by using 5,100 carefully selected households, with an extremely detailed system for them to use. Sounds very much like a chore suited to anoraks...meaning that it may well be giving an exaggerated figure when it comes to speedway meetings ! :lol:

So if I wasn't selected I'm not an anorak thats good to know, :lol: thanks

Why on earth was Mataj Zagar overlooked? All they had to do was watch that magical race against Jason Crump at the SWC @ Peterborough and that alone should have made him a dead cert.

Couldn't agree more with that part of your post - one of the best races I've ever been fortunate enough to witness.

Well done to Bomber and Tai.

Could be make or break for Bomber in the GPs this upcoming season; I'm sure he isn't happy about his results since Cardiff 2007 and equally convinced he still has the desire to do better.

Tai's selection is thoroughly deserved; he more than anyone else is the future of British Speedway, and unlike any other GB riders comes with no excess baggage. You mob should get behind him rather than concentrating on running him down at every opportunity.

I look forward to seeing both of them in the GPs not only next season but for a few more to come, especially in Oz March 2011.

I wish that another rider had been seeded through. Nothing against Bomber but if you can't qualify one you own track in the GP Challenge final what hope is there?

Good luck Tai

As it was when Harris was in the frame for a selection, a very unpopular choice, even with the majority of British fans. Not clear to me how and why he has been chosen, and it would be interesting to hear from those people who had the final decision. Lets see if he can justify his place, with some good performances, instead of excuses as to why he has had yet another poor meeting.

quite simple really, they have decided to have two brits in the GP,

Tai - give a good young rider the chance

Bomber - British Champion, did the qualifiers and finished best British rider who could be bothered to do them.

As I said....................

Quite simple. :approve:

Edited by Daddy Hammer

quite simple really, they have decided to have two brits in the GP,

Tai - give a good young rider the chance

Bomber - British Champion, did the qualifiers and finished best British rider who could be bothered to do them.

As I said....................

Quite simple. :approve:

If, by some miracle, he actually does well next year, then I will take all the criticism back, but you have to use his past record as a yardstick, and there are more deserving cases. His league form isn't even good enough to justify his inclusion.

Personally, if it had to be another brit, I would have chosen Richardson over Harris.

If, by some miracle, he actually does well next year, then I will take all the criticism back.

That's just it isn't it. This is Bomber's big chance to prove he has got what it takes, his last chance probably. Nobody on here has considered that Chris himself might feel that way too. Nobody has said that Chris might think he's gonna need time out if he can't get in the top 8 this time, the same way as Nicholls has been honest about it this year.

That's just it isn't it. This is Bomber's big chance to prove he has got what it takes, his last chance probably. Nobody on here has considered that Chris himself might feel that way too. Nobody has said that Chris might think he's gonna need time out if he can't get in the top 8 this time, the same way as Nicholls has been honest about it this year.

I sincerely hope that Bomber makes the most of his big chance to ''prove it'' -- and if he doesn't cut the mustard then he may well have to take the ''crap'' that Scott (and some will say deservedly so) had to accept ! Let's hope he will be dignified in that acceptance (if necessary.)