British Speedway Forum

was wato on pace after his long lay off?

He looked more comfortable as the day went on, it was a tough field too, give him a few weeks and he'll be at least a 7 point pl man IMO

so did people notice a difference with bikes using the new silencers?

I thought they didn't sound so harsh at peak revs, definately noticed a difference.

Good to see a big crowd. Hopefullt the SRBF coffers will be substantially swelled!

Anyone think that this idea of mine is feasible.

Obliviously not everyone could go to the meeting today,but if next year’s Ben Fund meeting was covered by Sky TV as a Pay-Per-View meeting, with the money raised going to the Fund. How many people on here would pay to watch? I know I would if I couldn’t get to the meeting.

It could help raise thousands of pounds for the fund, if speedway viewing figures are to be believed.

We were all of one mind, Len Silver messed up what should have been a good meeting on more than one account, shame!!

Who would pay for the £40-£50,000 it would cost Sky to film it? Who would pay for the thousands of £££ it would cost to pay for the collection of the funds through Sky Box Office?

There might be tens of thousands of fans watching EL and the GPs, but they don't pay any extra for it and they watch meaningful meetings, not a meeting, albeit, with the best intentions, which is used by some riders to test engines and setups.

I wouldn't pay for it. And I am a speedway fan, not just an armchair fan. A complete no goer IMO.

I'm with Steve on this one. Would cost sky a fortune with no gain for them at all. Never ever going to happen.

Have to agree with some comments on here, yes there was completely no atmosphere there at all which was abit rubbish but overall (please note first visit to Rye House) the track was poor and so was the racing, but credit has to be given to the track staff for getting it all ready in the first place, so overall bit disapponited but glad I went to support the fund.

I am pleased plenty of money will have been raised for a very worthy cause. I would have happily contributed more if I'd seen a collection - unfortunately I must have missed it.

Well done to Nicki and indeed for all riders and anyone else who gave their time freely to help raise much needed funds today.

Edited by WembleyLion

not a great meeting but we enjoyed our first visit to rye.great advice to park at broxbourne station.what a start to the season for nicki p wins the meeting after ploughing thru the fence in the first heat.agree with most comments its gonna take a few weeks for the tracks to bed down plus this meetings always gonna be like a challange meeting but credit to everyone for raising funds.disappointed with how quiet the bikes were but needs must i suppose

Edited by bruno

£15.00 well worth it just to see Nicki smoke the ginger one a couple of times.

KK, Niels and Jonno! Impressed. Tai, Shields and Barker didn't.

Highlight of the day probably saying hello to Zonkers and meeting KevH.

Arrived at 12 noon and parked pretty close to the stadium and went on inside. Found a place to park our backsides on 1st bend without a problem. But the stadium soon filled up - wonderful support.

Time went pretty quick as it was great meeting up with people for the first time this season.

Heat 1 was absolutely terrible. It was like a Car rally in a dust bowl!!! And to be honest we didnt see Nicki P go over the fence. It was all a pile of dust!

But water was brought out immediately and I wont be as negative as the previous posters.

Not much passing except a couple of sweeps by Crump around the outside and a fantastic last bend and pass of Scott's to beat Neils.

We enjoyed our day out. Good meeting for a great cause.

Have to agree with some comments on here, yes there was completely no atmosphere there at all which was abit rubbish but overall (please note first visit to Rye House) the track was poor and so was the racing, but credit has to be given to the track staff for getting it all ready in the first place, so overall bit disapponited but glad I went to support the fund.

Funny how we all see things differently. All things considered I quite enjoyed the afternnon out.

Its always nice to go to a meeting where there are fans from all over the place and it was nice to strike up conversations with lots of different people.

I didn't think the track was all that bad except for excessive dust in the first race. Racing-wise it was not the greatest meeting ever but it was far from being the worst, in fact it was better value for money than last seasons GP Challenge at Coventry IMO. Nils, and Fred, in particular were involved in a number of decent races, Scott had an exciting last bend victory and it was interesting to see how well Chris Neath went against some of the big guns. The only disappointment, if you could call it that was that as the meeting went on Nikki was becoming more and more invincible and nobody could get near him, but thats speedway.

Obviously the weather meant that the track needed a lot of attention but quite a number of the races were called on very quickly only to be put on two minutes because riders weren't ready.

The only thing I would say is that after all these years as promoter Len is still pretty clueless when it comes to putting on a show. The PA seemed a bit weak and the music was almost inaudible, and its details like these that add to the entertainment.

But still for me no serious complaints overall and glad I went.

True enough it wasn't the best of meetings & with the dust in heat 1 i thought good god here we go.

Thankfully the dust at least was controlled.

Nice to see some racing at last & a pleasure to say hello to Zonkers & get uncle len's book signed.

Many layers of clothing we're consigned for the cold today yet they weren't required, hoorah.

Getting the coach over the bridge was......................... interesting. :lol:

All in a good cause & well done to everyone, nice to hear Garry Stead say a few words. :approve:

One other thing, a shame Nigel "British speedway" Pearson couldn't have done the announcing. Craig Saul was great as ever but the other guy just didn't have anything about him, didn't do anything particularly wrong but was just a tad dull IMO.