British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lioness

SWC reduced to 8

From SGP site (hidden amongst the GP stuff!)

The FIM Speedway World Cup (SWC) format has changed for 2004 with a reduced number of teams (8) that will lead to much more exciting racing in the earlier rounds. The new format will consist of four events. The top eight teams in the world will race in the first two events (four teams per round) with a four team Race Off on the Thursday and four team Final on the Saturday night

A step forward methinks although in a strange way I will miss the 5 man races! (but not the worry over safety on it being run on tracks that were too narrow!!)

The 8 teams will be??

Oz, Sweden, GB, Denmark, Poland, Czech Rep plus 2 qualifiers.

No 5 man races........Bet Mark Loram's relieved.

I certainly am.

More choice of venues for future finals too.......gotta be a good thing.

:)

Has anyone got any idea of the format?

My guess is the 1st team in each of the first events straight into the final with the top two from the semi-final joining them.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Kevin

My guess is the 1st team in each of the first events straight into the final with the top two from the semi-final joining them.

Yes, top team from each qualifier into Final, next two into Last Chance. Top two from Last Chance to Final.

There will also be two separate Preliminary Rounds for non-seeded teams. The top team in each will qualify for the Final Tournament.

I haven't heard anything about the heat format, but I heard the Joker may have gone (and about time too).

Kevin

Yes, top team from each qualifier into Final, next two into Last Chance. Top two from Last Chance to Final.

There will also be two separate Preliminary Rounds for non-seeded teams. The top team in each will qualify for the Final Tournament.

I haven't heard anything about the heat format, but I heard the Joker may have gone (and about time too).

Wouldn't the sensible option be to have the old 4TT WTC format for the meetings so that it is more of a team event...........Hang on, I said sensibe therefore it will never happen in speedway :roll:

Wouldn't the sensible option be to have the old 4TT WTC format for the meetings so that it is more of a team event.

Do you mean the 'classic' 20-heat format where you still only have one rider from each team in each heat, or the more recent 24-heat format where riders compete in pairs?

who cares?!..i dont even like the wc!!! :evil: ;) :roll:

Where do you go to the toilet then?:oops:

The Speedway World Cup would create more interest if it was held every 4 years as in football, cricket and eggchasing.

Having it every year waters down its importance.

The Speedway World Cup would create more interest if it was held every 4 years as in football, cricket and eggchasing.

Wise words mate!

Might not be a bad shout. But i'd find it easier if it was every 2. For other sports, there is normally European Championships in between World Championships - which makes the gap more bearable.

Of course a Euro Team Championships would be a little pointless in speedway - so we could just do the World thing every couple of years.

Of course a Euro Team Championships would be a little pointless in speedway

It doesn't stop them holding a European Individual Championship, or a European U19 Championship!

Of course a Euro Team Championships would be a little pointless in speedway

It doesn't stop them holding a European Individual Championship, or a European U19 Championship!

Certainly doesn't Kevin, and I'm sure you'll agree both are about as important as the Dagenham Ladies Darts Championshipss :D