British Speedway Forum
GregM

Leszno Gp - 24th April 2010

What a fantastic meeting, a real credit to the sport. Fingers crossed the rest of the GP's can live up to that standard.

Strangely that meeting will, in the final analysis, have done Tai the world of good.

Fantastic race track and he couldn't get anywhere near 'em.

Playing with the big boys now. Watch & learn :approve:

Edited by Wolfsbane

Was certainly far better than the usual GP stuff,but not sure i agree it was fantastic.The commentary team seemed on a mission to hype it up.One race the guy was over-excited but was actually saying something like "well that race didn't develop into the race i thought it would....."

Good to see Harris do ok after the season Coventry are having i thought he was going to struggle like Tai did.As someone else said AJ should have done better.Looks like him and Hans are never going to really set the GPs alight.Definitely some great racing at times, that you could watch over and over

It was good to see a track follow Newcastle's lead regarding track preparation.

I think what let it down was that gates one and two had such an advantage over three and four, hence the riders who got more rides from them having higher scores.

Crump was lucky as usual, right place and right time to get an easy route through and win.

There is still time for BSI to call in Robbie Best if they want truely great racing.

What did anyone else think about the european grand prix last night ? I thought it was excellent, superb racing with lots of over taking and only one crash all night when Emil had no chance.. roll on Cardiff and all the other Grand prix's..

Was certainly far better than the usual GP stuff,but not sure i agree it was fantastic.The commentary team seemed on a mission to hype it up

Agreed, they go OTT, why?? Are viewing figures dwindling or summat or do commentators believe that if they shout excitedly about the sport then the viewers will get excited too, it's got to be it cos when I sometimes have to suffer the footy guys on SKY on a Saturday they are shouting down the mic too, fgs!

Yeah was a decent meeting but I still think I've seen better from there when it was first used as a GP track, Crump alluded to the track not being as good as it is for league meetings .........

The semi-finals and final were reminiscent of previous GP's, however, i agree with the vast majority on here it was a fantastic meeting.

Anyone belittling this fare must surely be a life long dyed in the wool moaner :) You know the sort, they find a fiver in the street and instead of being full of joy they shuffle off moaning 'i know of someone who once found a tenner in the street'. Gee whizz i despair lol, deep breath in, chin up and enjoy life - most of the meeting was plain to sight excellent racing.

Ok, i know one shouldn't feed the miserable ones who try drag everyone to thier depths but seeeing i'm still joyed after last night's GP and feeling generous i'll give the unhappy ones some crumbs to digest, twas indeed a shame that the broadcast was stuck out on SS4 and presumably wouldn't have got respectable audience figures? Not sure why it ever matters what channel it is on (one just presses a different digit on the RC), however, viewing figures are significantly lower for SS4. I guess the reason may be that the sports events on the other channels are of higher interest and status on that particular day?

Hopefully, the word will spread of a superb night's racing and the next GP is just as good, uh oh!........cue the doomsayers :lol:

What did anyone else think about the european grand prix last night ? I thought it was excellent, superb racing with lots of over taking and only one crash all night when Emil had no chance.. roll on Cardiff and all the other Grand prix's..

Great racing,goes to show if track prep in done properly what can be achieved,I hope Olsen was hanging his head in shame. :unsure:

Harris started well,then slumped but did well to reach the semi-finals,same can be said for Pedersen.I thought we might get a wild card win with Kolodziej or a home win with Hampel but they had no answer to Crump who for the rest looked worryingly good.

Anyone belittling this fare must surely be a life long dyed in the wool moaner :) You know the sort, they find a fiver in the street and instead of being full of joy they shuffle off moaning 'i know of someone who once found a tenner in the street'. Gee whizz i despair lol, deep breath in, chin up and enjoy life - most of the meeting was plain to sight excellent racing.

no kidding!

There is nothing to knock about last night ...... we had a fest of passing.. and re passing... and re passing ...... we had a wider line in only the 4th heat (when was the last time that we had that?!) ...... but unlike the fare we have been used to in recent years the inside and mid lines did not disappear........

It was a shame that gates 1 and 2 dominated but in some ways it was fairer to what we have experienced in the past as it meant there weren't any grading shenanigans taking place........ and on a track like that gating was not as important as usual anyway

hats off to a great start by Tony Olssen but there is a potential catch to this approach that definitely needs a plan B in reserve.... and that is that when it rained Ole never had to blade the track ........ Tony's problem is making sure that each track has the equipment and capable staff to get it bladed quickly and with the minimum of fuss

Ok, i know one shouldn't feed the miserable ones who try drag everyone to thier depths but seeeing i'm still joyed after last night's GP and feeling generous i'll give the unhappy ones some crumbs to digest, twas indeed a shame that the broadcast was stuck out on SS4 and presumably wouldn't have got respectable audience figures? Not sure why it ever matters what channel it is on (one just presses a different digit on the RC), however, viewing figures are significantly lower for SS4. I guess the reason may be that the sports events on the other channels are of higher interest and status on that particular day?

Hopefully, the word will spread of a superb night's racing and the next GP is just as good, uh oh!........cue the doomsayers :lol:

I said I thought it was a decent meeting but didn't get a trembling in me nutsack over it like some on here. If I found a fiver at BV of course I'd be delighted, that's a whole pint of beer at KL on racenight. :lol:

An excellent GP last night, the best there has been for a long time. If the tracks continue to be prepared as well as that throughout we should be in for a great series.

Crump looked very good considering he's not yet fully fit; will be hard to beat when he is. I'm amazed by John Hannibals remark about Crump (post 140) being lucky as usual!

Surely a tongue in cheek remark, a three time World Champion doesn't become so by being lucky.

What a pleasure it was to watch the first GP last night in Leszno. And how good is it that Ole Olsen has gone! No more slick tracks and the way the track was last night, meant we had some tremendous racing. The track was pretty smooth and the riders had more than Ole's 1 line to race on!

The biggest shocks of the night were the scores from Gollob (6 points and no heat win!), Hancock (4 points) and Jonsson (5 points). All 3 we have become accustomed to seeing always in the semis/finals - so it was a bad night for all 3.

Bomber was a shock! After seeing him in the EL on Sky, I thought he'd struggle big time. But no, made it to the semis with 8 points (2 heat victories in that), but was left with the graveyard gate 4 - so out he went. But very positive for him, certainly unexpected!

Tai done exactly what I thought he would. He shouldn't be in the SGP, IMO. He is a talented rider, but just because he has reverted back to being a Brit - shouldn't have made him a shoe in. Before Bomber's display, I actually thought it was poor to have 2 Brits in!

Holder was a revelation and will do well. Suffered from a bike failure in his middle ride and this cost him a place in the semis. But he scored a good 8 points and was exciting to watch.

Kolodziej was a surprise packet - the wild card was super quick and was defintiely worth his place in the round.

All in all, the SGP looked exciting again! We were treated to fast, skillful racing on a well prepared track. If this was how the rest of the series is going to be, we are all in for a great season!

Poor meeting on a poor track the sooner Ole is back the better .

Good start to the season, plenty of overtaking and certainly better than any of last years GP's. Slightly spoilt by the massive imbalance in the gates - total points from 1 & 2 = 91, from 3 & 4 = 47. Only one win from 3 and just two from 4.

Clearly the riders from gates 3 & 4 have agreater distance to travel to the inside line than those from gates 1 & 2.Could this be addressed by arranging the tapes so that gate 3 has say a half metre start and gate 4 has say a 1 metre start?Sounds a bit simplistic and maybe I am talking total rubbish (it has happened before!)Anyone else got any ideas?