British Speedway Forum
Mike Litrus

Joe Owen

Whilst browsing the net I have discovered that the great Joe Owen (Newcastle and Ellesmere Port) had a life threataning accident in 1996. I was not aware of this and being out of the speedway 'loop' for many years am interested to know if Joe recovered and what became of him and his brother Tom.

Thanks

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the accident happened in the Birmingham v Newcastle National League fixture at the Bordesley Green track. I think I've been told about this accident, although I wasn't there at the time.

Scroll down to "Issue 3" here - http://www.retro-speedway.com/page.php?14 - and maybe buy the magazine!

There are also other threads on here discussing Joe Owen - e.g. http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=40567

First of all it was Birmingham vs Ellesmere Port (not Newcastle as stated above). Joe was riding for Ellesmere Port at the time and it was 1985 not 1986.

As far as Tom is concerned, he has his own Plant Hire business (also races pigeons I think!), which is doing very well.

Also Tom's daughter (Emma) is married Mark Lemon.

Edited by The Abbott

I have put the site address below. It does say 1986 on here.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Ellesmere...%20Speedway.htm

They have got the year wrong!

Louis Carr & Joe Owen won the Pairs in '85. '86 Pairs Champs were Les Collins and Doug Wyer for Edinburgh.

I have put the site address below. It does say 1986 on here.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Ellesmere...%20Speedway.htm

Yes, it's wrong.

Joe Owen and Louis Carr won the pairs for Ellesmere Port in 1985. Joe's crash was later that year in the Birmingham v Ellesmere match. Ellesmere Port closed at the end of 1985. There was a benefit meeting for Joe Owen on Boxing Day in 1985 the last ever meeting at Thornton Road...and it was freezing! (Edinburgh won the pairs in 1986).

Edited by John Leslie

They have got the year wrong!

Louis Carr & Joe Owen won the Pairs in '85. '86 Pairs Champs were Les Collins and Doug Wyer for Edinburgh.

You are correct Abbott, Joe's terrible accident was on 20/10/1995 at Bordesley Green.

Joe had moved to Ellesmere Port following Newcastle's closure and was incidental in

bringing the league title to the Gunners, ending with a magnificent 10.5 average.

Ellesmere Port closed before the 1995 season and has not re-opened. A benefit meeting

was held for Joe on Boxing Day at Thornton Road, the last ever meeting.

Joe was not lost to speedway entirely as he was Newcastle's Team Manager in 1987.

Certainly one of the finest riders ever to don a Newcastle race jacket.

Edited by jackofdiamonds

Great, great rider always a joy to watch when Newcastle visted Weymouth in the early 80s, some of his battles with Martin Yeates were simply superb.

Bri G

You are correct Abbott, Joe's terrible accident was on 20/10/1995 at Bordesley Green.

Joe had moved to Ellesmere Port following Newcastle's closure and was incidental in

bringing the league title to the Gunners, ending with a magnificent 10.5 average.

Ellesmere Port closed before the 1995 season and has not re-opened. A benefit meeting

was held for Joe on Boxing Day at Thornton Road, the last ever meeting.

Joe was not lost to speedway entirely as he was Newcastle's Team Manager in 1987.

Certainly one of the finest riders ever to don a Newcastle race jacket.

Let's not confuse things eh?? :lol: 85 not 95!!!

Sorry John, must have been typing at the same time B)

Have to get onto my old mate John to amend his website.

Remember Joe's terrible crash at Bordesley, still the worst crash I've seen at a meeting. As I recall he clipped Reg Wilson's back wheel and was flipped up into the air a fair old way, landing awkwardly on his back. A think a lot of people were relieved that it wasn't worse that it was, obviously though still a big big shame that the poor guy ended up paralysed.

Not forgetting that he also survived an earlier life-threatening crash while riding for Hull.

It must have taken taken immense character and will for him to continue after that, and

at a good standard too, only to fall victim the the crash discussed here.

Joe was a rider I always looked forward to watching, not least for his unusual 'elbows out'

style which I have yet to see replicated.

Also, like others who have been left paralysed, he has never seemed bitter about his lot.

I remember that sad day very well and the terrible crash involving Joe. He was indeed a very fine and entertaining rider.