British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jsw

Ludvik Staric

On a recent trip to Slovenia I picked up a second hand paperback with a speedway drawing on the front. The guy on the bookstall seemed to know a bit about speedway and proudly told me that in the Yugoslavian period, Slovenian riders usually filled the top places in the national championships.

My Slovenan is v. poor but the book seems to be a biography of a rider called Ludvik Staric, who rode pre- and post-war and had a nickname 'Flying Kranjec'. Anyone know anything about him?

John Williams

I'm compiling a table of all National Spdwy Champions, which includes Slovenia, whose winners I have from '79 when they broke away from Yugoslavia, to date.

I have the Yugo champs from 1959 (they continue to 1991, the ultimate break-up.)

Ludovic Staric, (or anything like that ) appears in neither list.

From 1924(?) to '32 The Yugo champ was Anton Srban

Edited by britmet

Found this (includes photos): http://www.speedway.si/index.php?option=co...&Itemid=103

Also, translated from Wikipedija: Occupation motor speedway nv-u Born 19 March 1906 Died 26 December 1989 Place of birth Place of death Mirna Pec Successes Vseslovanski champion 1000ccm class beat world champion Kundsa ...

Edited by Grachan

Found this (includes photos): http://www.speedway.si/index.php?option=co...&Itemid=103

Also, translated from Wikipedija: Occupation motor speedway nv-u Born 19 March 1906 Died 26 December 1989 Place of birth Place of death Mirna Pec Successes Vseslovanski champion 1000ccm class beat world champion Kundsa ...

Thanks for the info Grachan and Britmet. Fascinating to realise how much speedway action took place in continental europe so soon after the sport first came to these shores.

Thanks for the info Grachan and Britmet. Fascinating to realise how much speedway action took place in continental europe so soon after the sport first came to these shores.

Even earlier, since there was motorcycle track racing on loose sand or grass surfaces, usually on horse racing ovals, on the European Continent from the early 1920's on. I guess the only difference was that the tracks were usually longer than 400m and the surface wasn't cinders. The bikes were the same that were used for motorcycle track racing all over the world.

You may say this wasn't true speedway, since the tracks were too long or that they rode not just four laps, but usually those races lasted much longer, sometimes ten or even fifteen laps.

True, but let me tell about the very first (afaik) attempt to try 'real' speedway racing (Australian style) in Germany!

According to an unconfirmed report in the chronicals of the local bicycle racing club in Cologne, Germany, a 350m dirt oval track for motorcycle racing was built on the infield of the local cycling track in Cologne. Motorcycle races had taken place on the steeply banked concrete cycling track in Cologne from the early 1920's on.

A few years on the local motorcyclists decided to follow a new trend that reportedly originated from Overseas - motorcyle dirt track racing on a short oval race track! They laid the dirt track on the infield of the concrete cycling oval and ran the first ever dirt-track meeting in Germany - the year was 1925, a long time before the sport arrived in England! :rolleyes:

Ludvik represented city Lublana when he rode.

to britmet

Yugoslavian championship - 17.07.1949 - Ljubljana (Hermes stadium)

125cc Ladislav Surbek (Zagreb)

250cc Nikola Snjaric (Crikvenica)

350cc Veljko Metz (Zagreb)

500cc Ivan Smolicic (Zagreb)

There were yugoslavian championship in 1940 too. Winners were Strban, Uroic, Staric. There were 3 classes: 250cc, 350cc and 500cc. I do not know which class respresented these riders.

Yugoslavian championship

10.08.1947 - Krsko

no details

There rode Metz, Mrak and Jerko Babic (Zagreb).

On a recent trip to Slovenia I picked up a second hand paperback with a speedway drawing on the front. The guy on the bookstall seemed to know a bit about speedway and proudly told me that in the Yugoslavian period, Slovenian riders usually filled the top places in the national championships.

My Slovenan is v. poor but the book seems to be a biography of a rider called Ludvik Staric, who rode pre- and post-war and had a nickname 'Flying Kranjec'. Anyone know anything about him?

John Williams

My Slovenian is also limited, but I can tell you that "Kranjec" means a Slovenian. Croatians call them "Kecec", after a cartoon character.