British Speedway Forum
Dexter

Grand Prix In Australia And New Zealand?

Solos made a sensational comback at Western Springs last night (13th). This was the first time in many, many, many years that the solo bikes returned to New Zealands No.1 speedway venue! Signs of things to come? SGP? Western Springs?

I wouldn't discount the Gold Coast's Skilled Stadium, it has been purpose built with direct public transport from Surfers Paradise and Brisbane. It holds an awesome atmosphere, although I'm not sure how the owners would see the track being put onto the grass - having said that the Crusty's held a show there 2 years ago.

The other stadium is Brisbane's Suncorp, but it would run into high expense. The Rugby stadium - Ballymore - seems to be the subject of a revival at the moment, too, but having never been there, I don't know what its like.

Etihad or the new Melbourne Heart stadium would also work well.

Given that, as I read in Briggos 1975 book, he and Ivan Mauger had the idea of a World Championship Series in 1972 and he writes "I've always been a great one for the idea of running a series of maybe ten meetings in all the different major speedway countries."

The reality though, is that the world has changed, and speedway attendances have fallen in nearly every country since then. There are not even ten countries even close to being 'major' nowadays, far less able to support a GP.

He also says in the same book re the Wembley World Final, "as things stand at the moment a lot of the proceeds are diverted back in to British Speedway by way of the annual share-out to tracks."

But where do the proceeds go now? Not back into speedway it would seem.

This happened at Mount Gambier for the Aussie solo titles a couple of years ago and the bikes were flying.

You couldn't seriously hold a GP in Mount Gambier, even if it has the facilities. With the greatest of respect, it's in the middle of nowhere.

A GP needs to be held somewhere relatively close to a major conurbation, that people can fly to.

You couldn't seriously hold a GP in Mount Gambier, even if it has the facilities. With the greatest of respect, it's in the middle of nowhere.

Slightly to the south of the middle of nowhere in fact, Humphrey. There is an airport about 15 ks outside town but whether it'd handle anything bigger than a Dakota is a moot point; a pleasant flight from Adelaide. It is a lovely track, tho, about 8 ks east, no public transport apart from taxis. Mildura Airport has now got its own baggage carousel - beats having to unload the cart yourself.

Three Consortia in the running with FIM for an Australasian GP in March 2011; two in Oz, one in UnZud.

A GP needs to be held somewhere relatively close to a major conurbation, that people can fly to.

Wouldn't argue with your comments Humph.

However what I was attempting to point out was that using speedway tracks dominated by sprint cars and the like is possible. Mount Gambier was used as an example.

A round of the GP would have to be in a capital city and,as I have already said, Parramatta or Virginia (Adelaide) could fit that bill.

Of course it is all academic but makes for an interesting and robust conversation.

Wouldn't argue with your comments Humph.

However what I was attempting to point out was that using speedway tracks dominated by sprint cars and the like is possible. Mount Gambier was used as an example.

A round of the GP would have to be in a capital city and,as I have already said, Parramatta or Virginia (Adelaide) could fit that bill.

Of course it is all academic but makes for an interesting and robust conversation.

One of the Consortia in the running isn't from a capital city, and they have a very good proposal on the table; another proposal could see me move home for a month with a Festival-type series of events; since when did a GP have to be in a national or even provincial capital anyhow? Sweden gets away with one that's almost as remote as Mt Gambier!

Sweden gets away with one that's almost as remote as Mt Gambier!

Malilla is admittedly a bit remote, but it's still not 6 hours drive from everywhere!

One of the Consortia in the running isn't from a capital city, and they have a very good proposal on the table; another proposal could see me move home for a month with a Festival-type series of events; since when did a GP have to be in a national or even provincial capital anyhow? Sweden gets away with one that's almost as remote as Mt Gambier!

hmmmmm Wonder how much per room I should charge!!!!!

AMI Stadium in Christchurch would be a good place to build a track for a one-off (and would mean I wouldn't have to find accomondation! - I could even rent out the living room, kitchen and any other floor space I can find!)

But just the prospect of getting one over here would be great, I'll be there no matter what, may even make a visit to Oz if they have one there!

Would be good for us to know asap though as my parents are on about coming back over in Feb next year, but if the GP was here in March I'm sure they'd delay there visit that little bit to fit in with it :)

Ahhh timing!!!

Now there's an interesting dilema.

Would you have an Aust and NZ (why not take in South Africa too?) GP as the last on the calendar or the first of a new year.

I'm sure that the riders who are home from Europe would love to attend but it might not fit the schedule.

I've heard from friends that by putting in temporary stands at Gillman you would have a ready made GP venue.

I know Wayville in Adelaide but you would need a smaller track maybe.

What is the longest GP track at the moment?

I think early in the season would be the better option... then there isn't the problem of riders missing end of season meetings like last time

Would you have an Aust and NZ (why not take in South Africa too?) GP as the last on the calendar or the first of a new year.

The problem with a pre-season GP is that riders will have had less preparation and practice time, so I'm not sure they'd be greatly enamoured by the prospect.

The truth of the matter though, is there's no ideal time for an Antipodean GP. A pre-season GP at the end of February or early March would leave too long a gap before the start of the European rounds, an October GP clashes with the end of the European (or at least British) season, and a November GP not only has the same problem of a long gap between rounds, but starts competing with the pre-Christmas dollar. :(

The problem with a pre-season GP is that riders will have had less preparation and practice time, so I'm not sure they'd be greatly enamoured by the prospect.

The truth of the matter though, is there's no ideal time for an Antipodean GP. A pre-season GP at the end of February or early March would leave too long a gap before the start of the European rounds, an October GP clashes with the end of the European (or at least British) season, and a November GP not only has the same problem of a long gap between rounds, but starts competing with the pre-Christmas dollar. :(

Doesn't really matter what we think, it's going to be in March

Doesn't really matter what we think, it's going to be in March

Sounds ideal for me :D