British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wild Man Vic

Workington 40th Anniversary Meeting

Not much has been said about Workington's 40th Anniversary Meeting but I am looking forward to it, hopefully we will see plenty of ex-Comets coming along on the night.

Edited by Wild Man Vic

I was very sad to read that Mr Workington, Carl Stonehewer, has a prior engagement...it has to be acknowledged that it wont be the same without him and it will dampen the whole event for many.

There was some speculation that, for a variety of reasons, Carl might not attend and I guess those turned out to be spot on.

What a crying shame he couldnt change his engagement.

Edited by shady

APPEAL - INFORMATION AND HELP WANTED:

I am currently assisting the Workington management in tracking down as many ex-Comets regulars as possible to be guests at our 40th Anniversary Meeting at Derwent Park on Saturday 27th March, and so far we have located, and been in contact with, quite a lot of former Comets from both the first era (1970 to 1981) and this era (from 1999 onwards).

A recent appeal in Speedway Star found a couple more but we are still very keen to track down the following:

Mick Blaynee (Workington 1979) who then went on to ride for Milton Keynes and was, I believe, based around the midlands.

John Frankland (Workington 1981) who later rode for Long Eaton before being forced out of the sport through injury.

Wayne Jackson (Workington 1980 and 1981) and still living in the Manchester area I believe.

Arthur Price (Workington 1978) based in the midlands and, the last time I remember seeing his name mentioned, he later went on to record a song that he was selling at a few tracks several years ago.

If anyone has any information, suggestions or even better, contact numbers, for any of the above we would be delighted if they could PM me.

Many thanks,

Tony Jackson

There is a photo of Richard Lawson racing in the blog which looks very like one of mine, feel free to use any photo,s of mine if they are good enough! :)

Such a shame Carl Stonehewer cannot make it to the meeting one of the Workington Speedway Greats. :approve:

Edited by topaz325

I have now tracked down and spoken to Arthur Price - thanks for the help given.

Still looking for information to contact Mick Blaynee, John Frankland and Wayne Jackson.

Many thanks.

Tony Jackson

FURTHER HELP WANTED

I am struggling to find a contact number for former Comet Blair Scott, as the number I had no longer works.

If anyone has a contact number for him I would be most grateful if they could PM me.

Many Thanks.

Tony Jackson

James Wright the latest named added surely we will get steady aswel would also be nice to see nermark!

Unfortunately the fixtures have gone against us - Simon Stead is riding at Eastbourne for Swindon that evening in the first Elite League match of 2010.

Regards,

Tony Jackson

Unfortunately the fixtures have gone against us - Simon Stead is riding at Eastbourne for Swindon that evening in the first Elite League match of 2010.Regards,

Tony Jackson

Just one of those unfortunate things in Speedway as we know.

Looking forward to the meeting, Keep up the hard work Jacko.

Unfortunately the fixtures have gone against us - Simon Stead is riding at Eastbourne for Swindon that evening in the first Elite League match of 2010.

Regards,

Tony Jackson

I thought eastbourne had changed there race nights til fri