British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kennylane

Usa Alternative Speedway

Hope the link works. Any views on these fourwheel racers? Far more popular in the USA than speedway bikes.

It was like watching a warm up lap prior to a normal race except that appeared to be the race. No thanks.

Massive crowd though. :lol:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was like watching a warm up lap prior to a normal race except that appeared to be the race. No thanks.

I don't think this was an actual midget car meeting by the look of it but rather a reunion day for midget cars of previous years. They all appear to be pre- and very early post-war midgets to me.

I have just found this Argentine site featuring moder midget car racing. You'll have to scroll down to get the youtube items to play. They give a different perspective on the sport to that submitted by the first poster who probably doesn't know the difference between a midget car and a sprint car.

http://www.taringa.net/posts/autos-motos/2...-es-Midget.html

Give it time to load down. :lol:

Get right down to the youtube stuff at the bottom.

Edited by speedyguy

I have just found this Argentine site featuring moder midget car racing. You'll have to scroll down to get the youtube items to play. They give a different perspective on the sport to that submitted by the first poster who probably doesn't know the difference between a midget car and a sprint car.

Look especially at the last youtube item for some fairly good action stuff.

Get right down to the youtube stuff at the bottom.

If you mean me as the first poster that's a ruddy rude comment. I also have a youtube to midgets in the Argentine Republic. Put this in your pipe and smoke it! :angry: Those Argy midgets - as they do elsewhere - broadside as well or may be better than speedway bikes do and get a lot closer to each other.

Edited by kennylane

Look especially at the last youtube item for some fairly good action stuff.

Superb action in that last clip. It does need a fairly long and wide track to accomodate a 12 car start. :approve:

Incidently, what is the difference between these cars and the type of car that Rosie(Jason Bunyan's girlfriend) crashed in in great style in NZ the other week. They both seemed similar in style, being sprint cars, but Rosies had a roof wing on it presumable to stop it turning over.

we had one of those out at our track for a demo, they sure do put on a good show

Very good. This is a non-wing sprint (the thing on top!) and I think there are also non-wing midgets? Both these formulas can really broadside on the bends, something that speedway lost a great deal of when the tracks were no longer suitable for the old-time legtrailers. :cry: And that played a big part in the eventual decline in popularity going into the 1950s.

Nationwide, the USA has about 14 tracks catering for motorcycle speedway. It is claimed on many American sites that for small oval car racing (not Nascar) but other car formulas including midget cars and sprint cars there are 300-plus venues. Why the big difference - why do Americans find midgets and sprint cars more exciting than speedway bikes. What is the real attraction of the two car formulas. One word perhaps - spectacle. :lol:

The same attitude also seems to be applying increasingly in New Zealand (especially) and Australia.

Edited by speedyguy