British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badge

Billy Sanders Memorial Meeting 29/04

One of my all time favourite riders - doesn't seem to me like (nearly) 25 years ago either.

R.I.P Billy

Was there any announcements concerning this meeting at the Lakeside meeting on Thursday??

Was there any announcements concerning this meeting at the Lakeside meeting on Thursday??

Nope, no announcments made

will let you know if there is any announcments at foxhall on friday

Well Done the Ipswich Promotion. This should be held each season, without

fail IMHO. One of our clubs greatest riders and a bloody nice guy to boot.

I would even hold it at the expense of the 16 Lapper if need be.

Even after all these years, I still miss our Bill.... Gone, but definitely NOT

forgotten.

Great memories of Billy riding for us even though he cost us our first ever away in the GOBL( incidentally at Foxhall) forgetting to switch his fuel on in heat 13! :wink:

Will try and get to this if at all possible

Taken from BSPA website:

ON Thursday April 29th (start time 19.45) Ipswich Speedway are proud to be staging the Billy Sanders Memorial Trophy (sponsored by the Evening Star) to mark the 25th anniversary of Billy Sanders’ tragic passing.

To honour Billy’s memory, the meeting will take the form of a Best Pairs event with 3 pairs of Australian riders and 3 British pairs competing for the title, featuring some of the most exciting riders in the Sky Sports Elite League and the best young riders from both continents. The bulk of both the Aussie and GB Lions national sides will be on track and fans are guaranteed an evening of no holds barred excitement.

There will be a special ‘Tribute to Billy Sanders’ program for the event and a host of Billy’s contemporaries – Tony ‘Shrimp’ Davey, Colin Cooke, Mick Lanham, Preben Eriksen and Kevin Jolly to name a few – will be invited to the meeting and will be available to chat to fans during the course of the evening.

Billy Sanders Memorial Trophy (Foxhall Stadium, Thursday April 29th, start 19.45)

1. Scott Nicholls & Olly Allen (GB)

2. AN Other & Ty Proctor (Australia)

3. Eddie Kennett & Ben Barker (GB)

4. Rory Schlein & Davey Watt (Australia)

5. Tai Woffinden & Danny King (GB)

6. Troy Batchelor & Darcy Ward (Australia)

Looks good line up thoughts anyone?

Taken from BSPA website:

ON Thursday April 29th (start time 19.45) Ipswich Speedway are proud to be staging the Billy Sanders Memorial Trophy (sponsored by the Evening Star) to mark the 25th anniversary of Billy Sanders’ tragic passing.

To honour Billy’s memory, the meeting will take the form of a Best Pairs event with 3 pairs of Australian riders and 3 British pairs competing for the title, featuring some of the most exciting riders in the Sky Sports Elite League and the best young riders from both continents. The bulk of both the Aussie and GB Lions national sides will be on track and fans are guaranteed an evening of no holds barred excitement.

There will be a special ‘Tribute to Billy Sanders’ program for the event and a host of Billy’s contemporaries – Tony ‘Shrimp’ Davey, Colin Cooke, Mick Lanham, Preben Eriksen and Kevin Jolly to name a few – will be invited to the meeting and will be available to chat to fans during the course of the evening.

Billy Sanders Memorial Trophy (Foxhall Stadium, Thursday April 29th, start 19.45)

1. Scott Nicholls & Olly Allen (GB)

2. AN Other & Ty Proctor (Australia)

3. Eddie Kennett & Ben Barker (GB)

4. Rory Schlein & Davey Watt (Australia)

5. Tai Woffinden & Danny King (GB)

6. Troy Batchelor & Darcy Ward (Australia) :unsure::lol:

Looks good line up thoughts anyone?

Thank you John and Chris for putting this meeting on for the 25th Anniversary of Billy's sad and premature departure. I am one of the people that do feel that a memorial meeting should be held each year at Foxhall, but thank you for staging this one.

I had the honour of being able to count Billy as a friend and not just a speedway rider and I stayed with him an his family a number of times at his home in Werrington County and in Sydney. His mum Bonnie was a lovely lady and his sisters Sylvia and Robyn were always so friendly and welcoming.

So many memories, so many highlights. Probably one of the best riders not to win the individual World Championship, but so many honours with the Witches - 1984 probably being the highlight. It always used to annoy me that John Berry put it around that Billy only cared for riding in and for Australia. I can ensure anybody who holds that opinion that that was about as far from the truth as possible.

Yes he had his faults - we all do - but Billy was a real character and a smashing bloke who loved and cared for speedway passionately.

I trust the Rootyhill Rocket is still riding the tracks somewhere along with all the other super people who have graced our sport and passed away in whatever circumstance.

(Also remembering Billy's son Dean and Pat Palmer who was Billy's No. 1 Fan and had the experience of hooking up Billy's bike trailer onto the back of her Capri and taking Billy home to Trimley when his car gave up the ghost (again) at Saddlebow Row in 1982)

Jason Crump is the final rider to be confirmed, as taken fro the BSPA website:

: CRUMP TO MAKE FOXHALL APPEARANCE

Wednesday April 14, 2010

IPSWICH Witches are delighted to announce that current World Champion Jason Crump has accepted an invitation to ride in the Billy Sanders Memorial Pairs to be staged at Foxhall Stadium on Thursday April 29th (start 19.30) in honour of the late Billy Sanders and to mark the 25th anniversary of his tragic passing.

Three times World Champion Crump is not competing in the Sky Sports Elite League this season in order to concentrate on his quest for a fourth world title so his agreeing to ride in the Billy Sanders Memorial Pairs is a major coup for Ipswich Speedway.

There is also a personal connection between the Crump family and Billy Sanders as Jason’s father Phil Crump was a team-mate of Billy’s in the Australian national side of that era , making Jason’s participation in the meeting all the more poignant.

BILLY SANDERS MEMORIAL PAIRS (Ipswich Speedway, Thursday April 29th. 19.30) Sponsored by the Ipswich Evening Star

1.Scott Nicholls & Olly Allen (GB)

2.Jason Crump & Ty Proctor (Australia)

3.Eddie Kennett & Ben Barker (GB)

4.Rory Schlein & Davey Watt (Australia)

5.Tai Woffinden & Danny King (GB)

6.Troy Batchelor & Darcy Ward (Australia)

As well as the opportunity to meet and chat to many of the riders who were Billy’s teammates at Ipswich, fans will also be able to visit a special exhibition courtesy of Gab Racing which will include the Weslake speedway machine which Billy rode at the 1979 world final, race jackets, photographs and other Billy Sanders memorabilia.

Edited by 1stbendbunching

Fantastic news that Crump will be riding! Looks like being a great night :approve:

Great line up for this meeting, and this tribute is taken from the Official Ipswich speedway website:

http://www.ipswichspeedway.com/billy-sande...281955--1985%29

Awesome stuff Badge, Thanks for that.

Seeing that picture of Bill with Phil Herne (In the Aussie race jackets), reminded

me of those hot sunny days of the World Team Cup rounds held at Foxhall, with

huge crowds..... oh the memories... fantastic stuff.

Taken from Ipswich Witches website:

Witches and other speedway fans are reminded that the next meeting at Foxhall, which is Thursday 29th April, is the Billy Sanders Memorial Meeting - full details can be found here

The Witches are next in action the following night away at Peterborough.

Jason Crump is among the confirmed riders and other young emerging riders who are confirmed as appearing include Tai Woffinden & Darcy Ward and the meeting will commence at 7.30pm.

Entrance fees are:

Adults £16, Concessions £13, Children aged 6-15 £4 (NB children up to their 6th birthday are free)

and the flyer:

http://www.ipswichspeedway.com/BS_Flyer.pdf