British Speedway Forum

Except it was Lakeside's meeting and they run it on the night, I'm sure the Lakeside staff are appreciative of your support.

I think you will find that statement not 100% accurate. Suffice to say the event was held at 'Lakeside', the degree of control able to be exercised by the home promotion appears negligible.

reason for bad crowd is likely because of the grid locked M25 because of a multiple car pile up.

But the track was awful

Not to sure what you mean clarification as to it's shortcumings would help.

If you thought it was slick, some of the young lads would have struggled with a grippy Arena.

IMHO the track had little to do with the poor racing just the variation in talent (sadly) at this level.

Some of the races where reasonable.

Watching last night It came to me that perhaps the Pre War handicap system was not a bad Idea sprinkled in with the odd match races. If we could run second half's across the country this may enable some of our lads to up there game with handicap events. Not likley to happen I'm afraid ,but we do need to give these youngsters some support.

Having to text did not help my enjoyment of the meeting and may have clouded my opinion.

Sorry Parsloes you missunderstood the point i was trying to make with my proper meeting comment, it was in no way meant as a slur on those riders taking part last night, i have the upmost respect for these youngsters because they are what we are banking on for the future of speedway in this country and that is more important than anything, what i meant was that i was looking forward to seeing a meeting which had a better flow about it with interviews and chat etc and generally a track prepared more for racing than simply being safe to ride.

The concept of the seven 7 series is fantastic but i have yet to see it forfill its potential via its application, the under 21 title has a lot of history and riders know it is a big thing to win but like i say i dont feel that the organisers who ever they are really do the event or the competitors taking part justice.

People are expected to pay quite a large price to attend these meetings and deserve something for their money and i cant help but feel the reported low turnout was in no small part due to the meeting of 2009.

Yes i realise that you cant make a track like Lakeside grippy because a lot of the riders wont be able to handle it but last week we saw the perfect example of striking a good balance and lets be honest with ourselves here, these youngsters which we all hope will go on to be our future stars need to experiance all types of tracks and conditions for them to complete what is a very tough learning curve.

If you thought it was slick, some of the young lads would have struggled with a grippy Arena.

IMHO the track had little to do with the poor racing just the variation in talent (sadly) at this level.

Some of the races where reasonable.

Agreed on all counts. Briger/Woffinden/Haines are very, very strong riders at this level (and other levels, of course, but you get my point). But I reckon some of the more inexperienced riders will have learned a lot from watching how they go about their business both on track and in the pits. To take Richard Franklin, as an example, just because he rides for Dudley and so I see him ride at Brum and Monmore. He scored three points (I'm not going to touch on that dodgy exclusion :mad: ) in the final and now has the benefit of the "feel" from a big meeting. He also gained experience by coming through the qualifier, working out what points he needed, etc. Proportionally I think he'll be more ahead of the game by comparison with riding two NL matches.