British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Speedway Grand Prix...there's An App For That!

I'm not a fan of recurring subscriptions, but I don't think it unreasonable to charge a one-off for something that's taken time, effort and undoubtedly has required the purchase of a programming environment to develop. At the end of the day, no-one is forcing anyone to buy it, and 2.99 is cheaper than a paper programme.

An Android version of Snowfunk Speedway will be next, although I can't promise any firm timescales yet!

1. There are plenty of apps out there with ongoing charges, and particularly sporting apps which often have 'season passes'. This usually covers regular content which, in the case of Snowfunk Speedway, is the embedded rider lineup for the year’s series, plus downloadable lineups before each of the 11 meetings and downloadable results afterwards. For the 2012 season the same service will be provided, any rule changes will be incorporated into the (rather complicated) workings of the app, and I’ll continue to make updates to improve the app and take advantage of any new operating system or device features. During each season, when Apple update their iPhone operating system I will also make any necessary fixes to ensure that the app continues to work smoothly on your devices.

I personally consider all of this to be worthy of a yearly fee as it continues my time commitment and development costs, whilst providing a continuing service.

2. I’m a glass half-full person myself, so I’d prefer to look upon it as terrific that I’d enjoyed something completely free for the first year! In fact, I wanted to make sure that there was a demand for the app and that people found it useful. Giving it away for free in 2010 was a good way to find out before I continued to spend more time and money developing it further. It has now grown way beyond a hobby which has led to the fee.

3. I had an agreement with BSI that they would support my app for the 2010 series, but they decided not to renew that agreement for 2011.

This is a common and, in my opinion, very useful feature of iPhone apps. You can download something for free and then poke around and see what it can do. You can then decide for yourself whether to pay to upgrade it, keep the free functionality, or just delete it. It’s the perfect way to 'try before you buy', rather than paying money up front based upon a few screenshots and a description.

The vast majority of the 59p apps out there are general enough (e.g. games) that they appeal to millions of people and therefore have the potential to make huge sums of money. The more specialized content tends to attract a higher price as the market is so much smaller. An app for speedway fans (already a very small proportion of the population) who own an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad (now a pretty tiny number of people) is unlikely to make anybody rich. I charge what I consider to be a fair price with the hope of justifying the time and expense I incur. Apple also take over 30% of any sales which should not be forgotten!

Fair enough, I think probably a lot of people were under the impression that SGP owned it before and someone else took over and wanted to charge. I understand it takes time and money to do these things and I guess it still doesn't pay greatly so fair play for that.

I always wondered what Apples cut was. That's almost a pound gone to start with!

Thanks for your comments.

I used this App for last years GP's and have paid the £2.99 to use it for next year.

It's cheaper than buying a programme and when going to the GP's abroad it's quicker than waiting for the english announcement on the tannoy!!

I didnt have any problems with the countback and qualification to the semi's... it was always accurate.

It's good to be able to see immediate updates of the nights scores and also the overall standings.

Great idea... hope it continues B)

NEW SGP APP AND GAME

SGP fans will have this season’s series at their fingertips after rights holders BSI Speedway agreed a three-year deal with Vivid Games to develop a brand new smartphone app and mobile game.

The new official SGP App will be available on all iOS platforms (iPhone, iPod, iPad) via the App Store and through the Ovi Store for the latest Nokia devices.

It will replace the 2010 version and the partnership with Vivid Games, one of Europe’s leading mobile and handheld console game developers, will ensure fans get a new and improved experience.

The latest edition will be available to download the week before the FIM European Grand Prix at Leszno on April 30 and offers up-to-date results and live scorecards from the SGP rounds.

Supporters can plan their Grand Prix trips using our venue information, SGP calendar and ticket details. They can also read all the facts and stats on their favourite World Championship stars, take part in our Twitter feed, and enjoy photos and videos from the events.

The app is being designed by Vivid Games, who are based in Bydgoszcz, Poland, and are also working on an official SGP game that will be available on all the same platforms as the official app.

BSI Speedway managing director Paul Bellamy said: “This is a very exciting move for the SGP series and speedway as a whole. Apps and social media have become a massive part of our daily lives and have a huge role to play in taking the sport to a wider audience.

"We want to keep our fans up-to-date wherever they are in the world and this new app is the perfect way for them to follow the fortunes of the world’s top riders.”

Vivid Games’ chief executive, Remigiusz Koscielny, said: “As a Bydgoszcz company, we definitely have the sport in our blood and I’m sure this will help us develop a must-have app for speedway fans the world over.

"We have a history of developing great apps and games and we don’t just want to develop a brilliant speedway app. We want to develop one of the best sport apps on the market.”

How much does the official app cost? Does that include the "game" or do you have to buy that separately?

It costs £2.99. I've purchased it for my ipod touch but not had a real chance to sit and go through it yet today.

Just downloaded it Free Of Charge on Install0us, if your jailbroken it's worth a download, intact if it wasn't for the extra in app top ups it's probably worth an official download ;)

This SGP app is a waste of money. A rip off and doesn't work!!

A rip off because = It cost £2.99, then a further £7.50 to update!! Not advertised, so possibly illegal?

A waste of money = It is not as good as the snowfunk app.

It doesn't load on my iphone.

Avoid like the plague!

Utter and totally typical disgrace from these people who will bleed speedway at any opportunity

For your £2.99 you get NOTHING that you can use on GP night. If you want the draw its $0.99 per GP or $9.99 for the season. As said this is NOT mentioned until you have already spent your £2.99

Don't bother

I was a critic of Snowfunk but I apologise as this was great value compared to the BSI rip off

Seems a bit expensive. Mind you I've never understood why people fill in a scorecard while watching at home, sky tell you the scores often enough. Each to their own I guess.

I was very disappointed with the official app yesterday evening. It was extremely slow to update and I didn't get the semis/final until this morning! Was I doing something wrong? I much prefer the original Snowfunk app!

Seems a bit expensive. Mind you I've never understood why people fill in a scorecard while watching at home, sky tell you the scores often enough. Each to their own I guess.

The Top 8 shown on tv are quite often wrong when there are ties.

Utter and totally typical disgrace from these people who will bleed speedway at any opportunity

What do you really expect, it is all about money for them, they don't give a damn.

Read the reviews of the new GP app and decided to stick with the snowfunk app - £2.99 for 11 GPs is good value imo

Cheers

BK