British Speedway Forum
willp

Heathens Announce New Signing

bfd........one of your selected examples is mine......if that means I am anti Aussie, so be it, but I would say to you that its only in our National Development League......I, like most speedway fans enjoy Aussie lads amongst our riders, but not in the only league where our OWN youngsters can progress.......You have your own developement system in Australia for your youngsters, and a good one it appears to be. Talking from my own point of view I want to see our kids get the chance to persue their chosen sport and a chance to become part of Team GB. As a paying supporter of both N/L and P/L I think I have a right to an opinion. I fear for our belovered sport..... british kids find it too hard to fight the system that exists. They have a go and too often give up. The only way for us supporters to get opinions across is by posting them on forums so promoters can read them.......Just to let you know I am not against the Aussies. At Cardiff for the past couple of years Ive shouted and blasted an air horn for Jason Crump, as well as the british lads! and I will this year too.

Oh, by the way, are you one of the so-called 'Promoters' that are trying to stamp out Buxton?

Well in the first place I am not currently a Promoter I am the Team Manager of Stoke and have no official say on such an issue.

I am insulted by your stupid remark because anyone who has the slightest knowledge about me would know that I have been involved with the now National Development League since 1994 with three Clubs, a Promoter from 2000-2007 (incl) at Boston and I would do nothing deliberately to harm any team in the League which I believe is essential if this country is ever to become a real speedway power again. Incidenatlly, a view held I presume by all the Australians who come here thinking that they can develop best in that way. Buxton is an outstanding example to many and I have total admiration for that Club. I sympathise with their position because it happened to me three times but I do believe that the rules have to be followed although I did attempt to change the rule that they have fallen foul of.

I have also now written seven books about this level of speedway and your comments are to me hardly worthy of a reply it seems being born out of ignorance. I would also state that it is my view that I have seen more speedway at this level than anyone else on the planet (I would say 1200 meetings) and I would want every Club in the League to survive and be joined by many more. Why don't you Australians open your own Club and join just for Aussies I would not mind that. But that would need people like you to put your hands in your pockets and stand the inevitable losses and I don't suppose you would wish to do that.

My advice to you BFD is to think before you write on here and try and get something correct that would be a first it seems to me.

Malcolm Vasey

Edited by Proud Potter

Well in the first place I am not currently a Promoter I am the Team Manager of Stoke and have no official say on such an issue.

I am insulted by your stupid remark because anyone who has the slightest knowledge about me would know that I have been involved with the now National Development League since 1994 with three Clubs, a Promoter from 2000-2007 (incl) at Boston and I would do nothing deliberately to harm any team in the League which I believe is essential if this country is ever to become a real speedway power again. Incidenatlly, a view held I presume by all the Australians who come here thinking that they can develop best in that way. Buxton is an outstanding example to many and I have total admiration for that Club. I sympathise with their position because it happened to me three times but I do believe that the rules have to be followed although I did attempt to change the rule that they have fallen foul of.

I have also now written seven books about this level of speedway and your comments are to me hardly worthy of a reply it seems being born out of ignorance. I would also state that it is my view that I have seen more speedway at this level than anyone else on the planet (I would say 1200 meetings) and I would want every Club in the League to survive and be joined by many more. Why don't you Australians open your own Club and join just for Aussies I would not mind that. But that would need people like you to put your hands in your pockets and stand the inevitable losses and I don't suppose you would wish to do that.

My advice to you BFD is to think before you write on here and try and get something correct that would be a first it seems to me.

Malcolm Vasey

Footy's on, Malcolm, I'll talk to you later.

I think alot of people are getting of topic its not really the fact its dudley or sarj or even about micky what gets people goat is that this league and only this league should be for brit and brits that will fly our flag if they make it to gp or swc. BWD you say I m anti aussie but I m not I get along with lots of them and they help my boy no end (which I m grateful for ) but you don t see what I see and thats promoters bending over backward to help these lad and the lad use whats offered which they should I would. I had a long chat with a aussie thats come over this year and he said he was surpised at what he was given before they even seen him ride.

ps don t care what the leagues called

Wow, i am really surprised with some of the Heathens fans response to this. Some of you forget, James is only sixteen and in his second season of speedway, he needs to be given time to build up his confidence and riding ability, but the promotion have obviously not took note of this and sacked a young rider at a time. Who know what will happen with James, but i really hope he carries on.

And the excuse of blaming the rules?, get off it!!!, the BSPA didn't force you to make the change, it was your own promotions decision.

But how can you expect him to up his performance, when he is getting sacked by his club. If the Heathens we're not willing to give James the time he needed, to develop into a better rider and get vital track time, then they shouldn't have in the first place, they should have let another club take him on board that would have given him this.

That's a bit rich coming from a Sheffield fan. I seem to recall its fans calling for heads to roll when some riders were under-performing not so long ago. The bottom line is, irrespective of nationality, that James has dropped more than a point off his average. He's had half a season not just a couple of meetings. As I said previously, the stats don't lie. He's failed to score in half his races and has failed to win a heat. Our team was under the points limit at the start of the year. Ben Taylor's replacement Jon Armstrong (two Brits BTW :P) has not scored as heavily as most expected Ben to this season (Ben should have been well over 8, perhaps about 9, while Jon is just over 7) so we've lost out at the top end there. Ashley Morris has struggled to find consistency at number 2 and his average has dropped to just over 3 so we've lost out in the middle order too. With a weaker link than hoped for in all three main areas of the team something needed to be done if we were to remain competitive in the second half of the season.

With the dip in average from some riders we can fit a 6-pointer in at 2 and let Ash regain his confidence at reserve. He's got the ability to score well, we've seen it from time-to-time. Hopefully and easier first ride will get him off to a flyer and settle him down for the rest of the meeting. :approve: We still have 6 out of 8 Brits in the team, Ando coming in was forced on us due to injury problems at the start of the year so this is the only change due to form. I asked earlier and I'll ask again, as I'm not as familiar with this level of racing as EL/PL, are there even any 6-point Brits available?

Have you considered that perhaps the website have used an abbreviation that is incorrect?

It is and always has been the British National Development League...

With due respect do you not think the official website ought to get it right? It's hardly surprising that some see the sport as 'mickey mouse' when you think about it. The website, in the 21st century, will be the first port of call for official information about the sport to many/most (certainly new-comers I would think). To think it can't get the name of its leagues correct is shocking. I can't imagine any visitors to the site thinking they ought to search for the rule book to check the name of the leagues are correct.

Also, admittedly at a glance rather than studying it, the rule book refers to the league as the 'National Development League'. 'British' does not appear in the title. Perhaps the intention was for the league to develop English talent. Ban the Scots I say!! :wink::P

I think alot of people are getting of topic its not really the fact its dudley or sarj or even about micky what gets people goat is that this league and only this league should be for brit and brits that will fly our flag if they make it to gp or swc. BWD you say I m anti aussie but I m not I get along with lots of them and they help my boy no end (which I m grateful for ) but you don t see what I see and thats promoters bending over backward to help these lad and the lad use whats offered which they should I would. I had a long chat with a aussie thats come over this year and he said he was surpised at what he was given before they even seen him ride.

ps don t care what the leagues called

Was it bad call for him to leave scunny and sign for Coventry?

Has anyone bothered to check the averages to make sure this team change is legal. I have and Tom perrys average has strangely stayed on a 3 when he quite clearly should have had an average near seven on june 7th makeing the team change ile :angry: gal

Over the last couple of seasons there have been hundreds if not thousands of posts about the problem with the "third tier" of british speedway and the only consistant message is that there is a problem with this tier.

In my opinion they can be summarised as:

1) The BSPA dont really seem to care about this tier. The organisation of it from Rugby is poor at best. The name is only one example of many.

2) There are standalone teams and "2nd teams" who want, and need different things.

3) Until we run regular 80cc and 125cc practices for the kids you wont get the number coming through you need.

4) There are pockets of people who work amazingly hard behind the scenes to try and help but it needs co-ordinating.

Last year during a very heated depate about this topic on this forum, Im sure Malcolm will remember it, I offered to faciliate a meeting in Rugby with the third tier chairman and the BSPA to try and help (its my job and was prepared to put the time in free of charge to try and help).

I also emailed the BSPA directly with the same offer.

The response was deathly silence, I therefore put the same offer on the table today.

Over the last couple of seasons there have been hundreds if not thousands of posts about the problem with the "third tier" of british speedway and the only consistant message is that there is a problem with this tier.

In my opinion they can be summarised as:

1) The BSPA dont really seem to care about this tier. The organisation of it from Rugby is poor at best. The name is only one example of many.

2) There are standalone teams and "2nd teams" who want, and need different things.

3) Until we run regular 80cc and 125cc practices for the kids you wont get the number coming through you need.

4) There are pockets of people who work amazingly hard behind the scenes to try and help but it needs co-ordinating.

Last year during a very heated depate about this topic on this forum, Im sure Malcolm will remember it, I offered to faciliate a meeting in Rugby with the third tier chairman and the BSPA to try and help (its my job and was prepared to put the time in free of charge to try and help).

I also emailed the BSPA directly with the same offer.

The response was deathly silence, I therefore put the same offer on the table today.

Nikko you can offer all the help in the world but until you can get most of the promoters in the NL to see the bigger picture and not stick to their own agenda you are fighting a losing battle.

Where are all these riders who want to improve? Buxton is a purpose built venue and has no restrictions on usage but we get little or no interest in practice facilities.

Edited by Jayne

Oh, by the way, are you one of the so-called 'Promoters' that are trying to stamp out Buxton?

BFD, no, Malcolm is one of the good guys :wink:

All the best

Rob

Has anyone bothered to check the averages to make sure this team change is legal. I have and Tom perrys average has strangely stayed on a 3 when he quite clearly should have had an average near seven on june 7th makeing the team change ile :angry: gal

The signing is leagal..

Was it bad call for him to leave scunny and sign for Coventry?

Can t not really coment on this as there is info that only james and his team know about, I know that you ll say he wouldn t have been sacked if he was at scunny this year and probably right but riders sometimes just have to make a choice. But hey I m just glad that for once you, june, lucas and scribbler are singing from same sheet as me lol

Iv'e always sung from the same sheet. always love watching the youngsters. they give something that the experienced riders don't....think its their excitement when they win! plus its great to see week on week improvement. As with Tai,look at him now in the GPs. seen some nasty accidents too but all part of their learning curve.

There's nothing strange about it at all. 'Fred' missed a meeting early on because he had a prior commitment in a grasstrack meeting. He had only completed 5 meetings rather than 6 at the cut-off for June averages. Therefore, he stays on 3.00 and remains at reserve. :)

Are you sure that is the case most other NL clubs send averages in when a rider completes 6 matches why have Dudley not done so? In my opinion if a club is going to make a change that will increase the overall averages of that club then a rider who has completed the minimum amount of matches (6) should be taken into account.