British Speedway Forum

Last year in Cardiff I almost had Ben Barker up by the throat for calling a certain ex-World Champion a "has been" I was evil and he couldn't quite grasp the fact why......

Out of curiosity, what is said, "ex-World Champion" doing now?

Ekk, wouldn't fancy meeting you in a dark alley Shazzybabe, er Bird :shock:

Seriously your lovely really, fancy being my Bouncer :D

Whys that SCB? I thought you knew everything cool.gif or are you just trying to stir things up again icon_lol.gif

technically if he is no longer the world champion, then he has and been one!

personally i like this attitude, too much reverance in this country

long live the upstart!

We can now confirm that the Ben Barker Press Call and also Autograph and Photo Session will take place between 1.15pm and 2.15pm at the Copa of Cardiff.

All Welcome :)

I was tempted to go but the lure of a picture with Stojanowski in his caravan at the Terry Tibbs experience is slightly more appealing!

long live the upstart!

A career ending accident doesn't warrant being called a "has been" though does it Phil and that could apply to a couple really couldn't it? Each to their own then I suppose rolleyes.gif

A career ending accident doesn't warrant being called a "has been" though does it Phil and that could apply to a couple really couldn't it? Each to their own then I suppose rolleyes.gif

It does. He has been a speedway rider, he has been World Champion, he has been a 10 point EL rider but these days he's a car sales man.

I love Mark Loram as much as the next man but he is a "has been", a "has been" is not a bad term, Tony Rickardson "has been" 5 times World Champion, Michal Schumacher "has been" a 7 times World Champion and Lance Armstrong "has been" Tour De France winner 7 times. all great achievements, all greats in their sports but they're "has been" (that said, I hope in a few weeks time I'm not able to include Lance Armstrong in the "has been" list but even if he is, he'll still be an inspiration and hero to me).

Better to be a "has been" than a never will be, never has been like 99.99999999% of the population when it comes to seasonal achievments.

Barry Briggs who will be finishing his Marathon Motorcycle Ride is to call in at the Copa of Cardiff.

Anyone who would like to donate to this great cause then 'bee' there :)

Time to be confirmed on the day but we are hoping it will coincide with Ben's afternoon appearance between 1.15pm and 2.15pm.

Anyone who is struggling to download the wallpaper/flyer to your phone simply load it on your pc then take a photo of it with your camera phone :)

This will ensure you get VIP Queue Jump and FREE ENTRY into the Evening Party.

It does. He has been a speedway rider, he has been World Champion, he has been a 10 point EL rider but these days he's a car sales man.

I love Mark Loram as much as the next man but he is a "has been", a "has been" is not a bad term, Tony Rickardson "has been" 5 times World Champion, Michal Schumacher "has been" a 7 times World Champion and Lance Armstrong "has been" Tour De France winner 7 times. all great achievements, all greats in their sports but they're "has been" (that said, I hope in a few weeks time I'm not able to include Lance Armstrong in the "has been" list but even if he is, he'll still be an inspiration and hero to me).

Better to be a "has been" than a never will be, never has been like 99.99999999% of the population when it comes to seasonal achievments.

You are either ignorant or are just being disingenuous and unpleasant. If someone has achieved success in the past it is rude and rather offensive to call them a 'has been' Ben Barker had the decency to apologise for saying it and the reason he did that was because it is an unpleasant thing to say.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of your post is? We don't need a lesson in literal accuracy and grammar.

Your argument could be applied to this statement: "SCB is as thick as s**t" given that you are a functioning human being and made of matter, it is a given that your body mass must render you as being at least as thick as a feacal stool. An average adult human being I would guess has a torso circumference of 34 inches. This is much thicker than "s**t" I'm sure you would agree that it is much better to be "as thick as s**t" than dangerously underweight?

I think Mark Loram OWNS a car sales business which I'm assuming you know already. To refer to him as "a car sales man" is deliberately downgrading his current career. If you "love Mark Loram as much as the next man" give him the respect he deserves.

It is my opinion that you are solely trying to upset people (Ben Barker, Shazzybird, Mark Loram, other forum users)

Edited by Hammer

long live the upstart!

I agree there is too much reverance in this country for people like X factor winners, the England football team, minor celebrities etc etc. Everyone likes a good natured upstart but you are being rude and you of course know this.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of your post is? We don't need a lesson in the literal accuracy of grammar.

"Accuracy" and "grammar" in the same sentence concerning an SCB post? That made me laugh. I normally have to quickly scan his posts then rearrange a few letters and words before they're understandable. :D

You are either ignorant or are just being disingenuous and unpleasant. If someone has achieved success in the past it is rude and rather offensive to call them a 'has been' Ben Barker had the decency to apologise for saying it and the reason he did that was because it is an unpleasant thing to say.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of your post is? We don't need a lesson in literal accuracy and grammar.

Your argument could be applied to this statement: "SCB is as thick as s**t" given that you are a functioning human being and made of matter, it is a given that your body mass must render you as being at least as thick as a feacal stool. An average adult human being I would guess has a torso circumference of 34 inches. This is much thicker than "s**t" I'm sure you would agree that it is much better to be "as thick as s**t" than dangerously underweight?

I think Mark Loram OWNS a car sales business which I'm assuming you know already. To refer to him as "a car sales man" is deliberately downgrading his current career. If you "love Mark Loram as much as the next man" give him the respect he deserves.

It is my opinion that you are solely trying to upset people (Ben Barker, Shazzybird, Mark Loram, other forum users)

If you read my post again, you'll see I have no in way put down Mark Loram (or TRick, Lance Armstonrg etc) :rolleyes:

"A formerly popular or influential person whose popularity or effectiveness has peaked and is now in decline. Typically said of professionals or celebrities whose primary success is behind them."

"someone who used to be important; a person whose career has ended. : Marty is just a has-been. There's no future for him."

It's NOT a sign is disrepect, it's a generally accepted term.

Edited by SCB

If you read my post again, you'll see I have no in way put down Mark Loram (or TRick, Lance Armstonrg etc) :rolleyes:

"A formerly popular or influential person whose popularity or effectiveness has peaked and is now in decline. Typically said of professionals or celebrities whose primary success is behind them."

"someone who used to be important; a person whose career has ended. : Marty is just a has-been. There's no future for him."

Splitting hairs i think mate . Technically you are correct , but when the term " has-been " is used to describe anybody ,especially in a sporting context , it's always in a derogatory way .

Edited by Paulco

What's your agenda here? I can't believe I'm taking the bait but "Marty is a has-been. There's no future for him" is a disrespectful and unpleasant thing to say.

I believe this type of behaviour on internet forums is called 'trolling' that is, deliberately being provocative or deliberately misunderstanding an argumant with no real interest in the subject matter.

indeed thats what i was getting at!

better than a never was