British Speedway Forum
newportspeedwayhh

Newport Hornets ~ V ~ Buxton Hitmen

Helen, I'm sorry your lad had difficulties in school. That sort if stuff is out of order and surely should have been dealt with more firmly by the school.

I have to say though that James is not a schoolboy and he has chosen to compete in a highly competitive sport where every factor counts and weight is an issue whether you think so or not. Do you see any overweight GP riders or jockeys? James is even quoted in the link as getting himself into shape before the start of the '09 season. Well, he must have let himself go since then.

I feel I am perfectly qualified to make this comment as I can see with my own eyes and have watched speedway for over 40 years. It is nothing personal and you are right, I won't be going up to James to tell him he is overweight because how he lives his life is up to him but in my opinion he is too heavy to be a speedway rider and it is as that that I have an interest in how he performs.

If James wasn't in the team that I support I wouldn't have an issue with it, but he is and I do.

He crumbled under pressure (well done to Jason Garrity twice by the way) and threw away points by sliding off when he should have stayed calm and held his position.

Tom Young had a very poor meeting last week but started off last night with 3 from 2 rides including a very good point in holding off Robert Branford to get us a 4-2 and right back into the match after heat 7. But then he reverted to type and ran a last (excusable considering the opposition in that race) and a fall when in a points scoring position and we needed the 4-2 in heat 14.

Pretty harsh on the two reserves, i thought they were fairly handy, Tom pushed Robert all the way in heat 14 and was within a wheel length of getting under him on lap two, and if he had of got by it could have won Newport the match, so i would say great effort, lets not forget they are young kids learning the trade, i personally made the effort to give him a pat on the back.

If the other lad as you say crumbled under the pressure, i bet he learns from it, and perhaps it wont happen next time, once again all part of a learning proccess.

Cheers Darrell Branford