British Speedway Forum
fentigers79

Mildenhall Speedway

I know it was always a possibility, but still awful to hear this news. Will miss my trips to Mildenhall Speedway, which is where I got one of my friends hooked on speedway so much she suggested going on holiday to Italy so we could go to the Italian GP! :(

Gosh - never thought of West Row as being a place to inspire a trip to Italy!!! :rolleyes:

Let's sincerely hope, with the double-threat hanging over the place, the stadium doesn't end up like the Coliseum of old Roma in years to come... :cry:

I feel gutted, how could Ray let this happen when there were offers on the table ?

Indeed how!! Riders, Supporters, Sponsors all left in the dark until today. First enjoyed speedway at Mildenhall in August 1976 and now fear we won't see racing there again.

Edited by PhilK

be nice if it was shared with the rest of us and not just f/b friends

I was just informing people of the article I never wanted to write was in today's Cambridge News:

The British Speedway Promoters' Association is expected to announce today that Mildenhall Speedway has closed for this season.

The bombshell was confirmed last night by National League co-ordinator Peter Morrish, who has been handling the negotiations.

"It's not looking promising," he said. "I'm expecting the BSPA to make an announcement tomorrow that Mildenhall is ending for this year."

Talks with two businessmen, who had agreed a rent deal with stadium owner Dave Coventry, appeared to reach a stalemate. Fen Tigers' promoter Ray Mascall was unavailable for comment.

Coventry said: "As far as I'm aware the decision has been made to abort the club. "All avenues have been exhausted. "We are not in a position to take it on and everyone else is in the same situation.

"There were two promoters and one ex-rider that have been in talks, but they all looked at the finances and reached the same conclusion."

But Coventry did offer a silver-lining to supporters, stating that he would be prepared to resurrect the club for next season.

"It is not dead forever," he said. "We will get it back on the map. We could put a package together for the start of the 2011 campaign.

"Speedway has been part of the stadium since it began in the 1970s with only a couple of gaps and it's a shame that one of its best seasons for some time has come to a premature end."

Coventry is preparing himself for a legal battle with a local resident over noise issues at the stadium and has been overwhelmed by support. A 'Save Mildenhall Stadium' facebook campaign has reached almost 3,000 people.

Tigers' co-chairman John Adams was unaware of last night's developments and could only share his bitter disappointment of the club's fate. Adams was appointed team manager 18 months ago and this is the first time a club he has managed has folded mid-season.

Mildenhall opened in 1975 and won three league titles during its 35-year history. It suffered a similar ill-fated mid-season closure in 1992 before resurrecting two years later for 17 consecutive years.

not yet but will be soon nice to ray online maybe he would like to tell us all

It would be interesting to hear his side of things

Everyone seems to be blaming Ray without knowing any of the facts. According to the story in the Cambridge News* today there were no "offers on the table" because everyone who looked at the books realized that the Club was losing money hand over fist and they all walked away. Instead of blaming Ray people should be sympathising with him. He is a pensioner who stepped into to save the Club last time round and, like Simon beforehand, he has lost thousands of pounds of his life savings in a very short period of time. Then all he gets on here and elswhere is a load of abuse.

Who would want to be a speedway promoter?

* http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Sport/Other-Sports/Fen-Tigers-set-to-shut-up-shop-for-season.htm

Is there no chance of something along the lines of fans trust looking at taking it over ?

I am saddened by this awful news but I do not wish to make any comment because it would be inappropriate and I understand very well how difficult it is to keep a speedway club afloat when the support dwindles and that was the case this season as could be witnessed clearly at the matches.

However, I believe that Semion is on the right lines and a public meeting at the track might well have found 50 supporters willing to donate enough to top up whatever offer has been made. Indeed, I am astonished that this has not happened and even now it might not be too late.

I am encouraged by Mr Coventry's remarks and I am sure he would allow the bar to be used so perhaps Dub, Nikko, Blayne, John Adams, the two businessmen etc could front this suggestion up with David Crane alerting the local press for a meeting asap.?

Malcolm Vasey

Everyone seems to be blaming Ray without knowing any of the facts. According to the story in the Cambridge News* today there were no "offers on the table" because everyone who looked at the books realized that the Club was losing money hand over fist and they all walked away. Instead of blaming Ray people should be sympathising with him. He is a pensioner who stepped into to save the Club last time round and, like Simon beforehand, he has lost thousands of pounds of his life savings in a very short period of time. Then all he gets on here and elswhere is a load of abuse.

Who would want to be a speedway promoter?

* http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Sport/Other-Sports/Fen-Tigers-set-to-shut-up-shop-for-season.htm

From previous reports it seems there were offers on the table and an agreement with Dave Coventry had been reached, this was reported yesterday. Today there are apparantly no offers due to the financial situation. I would like to understand what changed from yesterday afternoon to this morning? Its why I would like to here Rays take on events.

I can certainly confirm that running a speedway club is not cheap :D and I dont blame Ray for wanting to sell the club but to close it mid-season when if he had asked around for help and support he would have received some seems odd to me. Obviously there are things that we dont know behind his decision.

Is there no chance of something along the lines of fans trust looking at taking it over ?

We sort of did that before :D but yes as Mr Vasey states we could no doubt find 50 or so supporters that would be willing to run the club for the rest of the season but I would imagine they would need to be given the licence but not the debts of the previous promotion.

We sort of did that before :D but yes as Mr Vasey states we could no doubt find 50 or so supporters that would be willing to run the club for the rest of the season but I would imagine they would need to be given the licence but not the debts of the previous promotion.

I remember you did Simon, but that was at a different level. Surely Speedway must be sustainable at National league level, on gates of around 350, with the help and safety net of a few well meaning supporters ? has anyone got a figure on the current debt going forward ?

Edited by semion

I remember you did Simon, but that was at a different level. Surely Speedway must be sustainable at National league level, on gates of around 350, with the help and safety net of a few well meaning supporters ? has anyone got a figure on the current debt going forward ?

I would have thought so Semion. No idea on current debt levels though.

Isn't the debt owned by the previous promoters company....? If you don't buy the company, you don't have the debt. But if the out going promoter says he is going to lose 17-18K then I guess that is an idea as to what he will want for the license. :unsure:

I wish every Mildenhall fan the best of luck and as with previous seasons it seems you are a passionate bunch. Lets hope 2011 brings much welcome news.

Edited by Deano

always enjoyed the visits by Mildenhall at Sheffield and hope to see brighter news in the near future and Mildenhall back on track next season.

Isn't the debt owned by the previous promoters company....? If you don't buy the company, you don't have the debt. But if the out going promoter says he is going to lose 17-18K then I guess that is an idea as to what he will want for the license. :unsure:

Don't know the exact details but I'd be astonished if the amount being asked for the licence was anything like the amount you refer to here... Probably approximating to between a third and a half of those sorts of figures...

The issues are probably as much about crowd levels; the threat hanging over the stadium in terms of the (spurious but apparently being listened to by the LA) noise complaints; and, I guess, the other costs in running a meeting...

I really cant be ar*ed to comment about whats gone on and who's fault it is, just wanted to thank all the currents team for their efforts this season, it really looked a handy team, and to wish all the riders good luck in getting paid, and fixed up with new clubs very quickly indeed.