British Speedway Forum
nigelb

Gary Peterson Memorial Trophy

The move was pretty hard, he was behind Masters and did an almightly cutback at full throttle on the 4th bend, rather than on the inside he went towards the fence. After the race Ty was about to come round to do some wheelies, then he looks to his left and Masters just shoves him off. He left Ty on the floor, who took a minute or so to get back up on his bike then did 40mph back to the pits. Not sure if they did actually fight as a lot of bodies seemed to get in the way. Any history between the two in Australia?

Edited by superguest

Sam is just like a lot of other riders - just wants to win all the time. I'd be disappointed, in a way and as long as it wasn't going to far, if my team's riders didn't show that kind of will to win.

Yes no problem with that. On Sunday he was charging hard to the line even though it never looked if would overtake Fisher, who shut off about 10 metres from the finish.

Actually in the Kenni overtake at Brough, Kenni flicked his back wheel at him and I criticised him on here for doing so. He had passed the guy and he must have thought it was Gathercole who had pushed him toward the fence on the previous corner. Not necessary from Kenni.

It could be in the three instances he felt he was the wronged rider and was just making sure to the other rider that he wouldn't stand for it. He is a fine talent. :approve:

I agree with that, Tsunami - the boy has immense talent. For me the by far the best newcomer to the PL this year. Another year in the PL and, perhaps, doubling up in the EL and he will be on his way to being yet another great, young Aussie.

Didn't say earlier my congrats to Kenni for what seems like a good night bar one race. Congrats also to one of my favourites Wolbert who is my type of rider. I love seeing him ride but unfortunately he usually does quite good against us.

Both of them will not have done their chances of joining an EL team for next year any harm at all. :)

Okish meeting with some decent races and a couple of crackers. Nic v Ty was the pick of the lot. Nic went from last to first in that one and at that point he was looking very fast and as though he would be a genuine threat to Tai. When it came right down to it though Tai beat Nic by half the length of the straight. Deserved winner.

Woffinden - Superb all night.

Wolbert - Got better with each ride and was very fast around the fence by the end of the night. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the track had allowed more lines late on. In other words is riding the fence on a small track all he knows or does he have the track craft usually required at Monmore? Can't argue with 4 straight wins though so well deserved 2nd place.

Klindt - Started the meeting looking very fast and determined. Lacked that little extra bit to be on the pace with Tai. Beaten to the fast line by Wolbert in the run-off but actually looked faster, but lost ground when he tried to move around the track. Caught back up when he reverted to the wide outside. Easily amongst the best 3 on show.

Proctor - A touch below his EL best as he missed the gate against what was lesser quality opposition to normal. Good speed and track craft to pick up points from the back though. Involved in a superb race with Fisher. Was a bit naughty with Masters in my opinion and I'm not surprised Masters had a pop at him. There seemed to real need for him to ride to the fence like that. He had the pass done and dusted but came very close to knocking Masters off. He stropped after finishing second in his previous race and not for the first time this season put a very hard move on someone in his next ride. It's just my humble opinion but I think he needs to chill a bit at times or there's going to be a crash sometime soon. That apart he rode well for a double figure score, but not quite up to the standard of the top 3.

Wethers, Fisher and Larsen can all be summed up as one. They all rode well at times and rather like Proctor were well deserving of being amongst the leading pack but ultimately were not on the pace of the top 3.

Ingalls and Wells both did a solid job in the middle of the pack with 7 points each. Ingalls should be please to have scored on every ride and was always in the mix but got pushed back to 3rd a couple of times. Good win in the end. Wells stuffed up his first ride with a bad start but then showed he can get out the gate well enough and scored in every other ride. If he can consistently make these better starts there is clearly some improvement in him.

Masters was always in the mix for the minor placings and 5 is probably fair reward for the way the evening panned out for him. For what it's worth, I'm sure some will choose to ignore me :lol:, he confrontation with Proctor wasn't that big a deal. He gave Proctor a bit of a shove and it seemed to me that Proctor just lost his balance and fell off while standing still. It's not as though it was something along the lines of what Screen did to Nilsen after a race at Hull(?) live on Sky, if your speedway memory goes back that far.

Haines was a disappointment for me. I thought he may score better and finish around the 7 point mark. He didn't look particularly quick or comfortable. He even had to get his ass into gear to pass Perry in one heat.

Katajisto and Tresarrieu huffed and puffed early on in a few races but generally went backwards as the races unfolded and neither can complain that they were hard done by to end up on 4.

Poole was a disappointment too. I expected he might be a bit of a spoiler to the middle/lower order riders but that never came to fruition. He too can have no complaints with 3 points.

Perry and Morris were obviously left at the back more often than not but a couple of things pleased me for each. Firstly the fact that they both scored a genuine point was good. Perry looked the better of the two overall as he made reasonable starts and off the top of my head I fairly sure he had to be passed in every ride. Morris can argue his was a better point that Perry's though as he beat Katajisto for his odd point (Perry having beaten Morris for his point). Neither were that far off the pace but every little mistake gets punished by dropping 10m back when you effectively race a league above your current ability. Thankfully neither were embarrassed by being dropped off ¼ lap+ off the back of the 3rd place man. Decent effort lads and most importantly they came through it unscathed ready for important stuff tonight.

*edit* Should have said that if Larsen and Wolbert aren't EL next season I'll be surprised. They're ready.

Didn't say earlier my congrats to Kenni for what seems like a good night bar one race. :)

A very good night, actually, and unlucky in his last. The four involved had, from memory, 10, 10, 10 and nine points so it was always going to be tough. The break from the gate was pretty even and in the inevitable first bend tussling Larsen got the worst of it and was left at the back.

I was watching last night with someone who's seen a fair bit of Somerset this season and the moment Proctor made that near-miss pass he predicted that Masters would blow up after the race.

Can remember Masters guesting for Rye against KL in the premier trophy earlier in the year, a Lynn rider passed him resulting in a big cheer from the Lynn supporters, which got a w@n£$r sign aimed at the Lynn supporters from Masters and his mechanic upon returning to the pits. :blink:

Edited by I HATE THE RAIN

Says in the local Express and Star that Masters was fined £100 and tried to have a pop at Ty in the pits.

Deserved fine for that action.

Needs to learn to chill it a bit otherwise he will get a reputation.

Ty`s move was hard but fair, nothing to warrant such child like toy throwing behaviour.

Wolbert - Got better with each ride and was very fast around the fence by the end of the night. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the track had allowed more lines late on. In other words is riding the fence on a small track all he knows or does he have the track craft usually required at Monmore?

Kevin does have lots of track craft. Edinburgh is a small track and he can ride the inside there. Maybe he was just riding where it suited him on the night.

There's no doubt that, unusually, on the night you needed to be on the fence by the latter part of the meeting. So yes I quite agree that it could simply be that it was the place to be. :)

Says in the local Express and Star that Masters was fined £100 and tried to have a pop at Ty in the pits.

Deserved fine for that action.

Needs to learn to chill it a bit otherwise he will get a reputation.

Ty`s move was hard but fair, nothing to warrant such child like toy throwing behaviour.

Absolutely right too, I think Sam Masters is a great talent but hes gone down in my book with his actions. People can say it wasnt a big deal but you have a stadium with plenty of kids ( meeting was advertised as £1) that look up to riders like Sam Masters. Its no way to behave, he s a disgrace.

You often see words exchange after hard racing but rarely do you see physical contact, okay he only pushed Ty off but its something you dont want to see at a speedway meeting. Well done Referee for fining him.

Edited by Brummie Kev

Good luck to the Monarchs riding tonight - Kalle, Kevin and Matty. I'm sure Kevin and Kalle will have some interesting moments and Matty will be his usual reliable self!

Add Fisher to the line up and apart from Kalle, Ryan, Matt and Kevin all looked good and showed why Monarchs are riding high in the PL this year and before last nights great display from Ipswich, I would have said the two teams were not worlds apart.

Suprised that Haines didnt use his Wolves experience to good. Its been a tough old year for Joe. I hope he can keep the progression on but he doesnt look EL level at the moment.

Great to finally meet the legend Ivan Mauger, what a decent bloke too.

Joe's bikes were being worked on all night through out the meeting. After not scoring what he had wanted, he finally made a great gate in his last race to hit the front but as he went down the back straight the power just drained and all three went past him going into the bend. If you noticed, Joe was actually getting the speed in the final lap or two, but by then the race was over.

Spent the early part of the evening with Ivan and it was a pleasure to chat to him and his wife about Ivan's career and family. Interesting that the famous "Winged Wheel" that was presented at World Finals was supposed to be given to Ivan when he won his third title (68,69,70) but they decided not to after the third win. When he equalled Fundins five total in 1977 then he got to keep the famous trophy which is back home in New Zealand (not Aussie).

Great spending time with a true legend and as Stevebrum says, a nice guy to boot.

I agree with that, Tsunami - the boy has immense talent. For me the by far the best newcomer to the PL this year. Another year in the PL and, perhaps, doubling up in the EL and he will be on his way to being yet another great, young Aussie.

After Masters display last night ..... I would say his choice of tracks has dropped by one now any way !!

Ty may be a tough rider, but if Sam has plans of making it in the big world at Speedway then he will get much rougher rides against the big boys and a simple quite word would have been enough and learnt from the experience instead of lashing out and shouting off to which he was duly controlled when spoken too shortly after.