British Speedway Forum
Phil

Sky Red Button Tonight ... Discuss!

Shabby treatment of Speedway would they move a football match over to the red button for the second half of course they wouldnt. Speedway bends over backwards for the Tv changing fixtures, clubs running on off nights in front of poor crowds, we've even altered the whole package points system, tac rides, play-offs etc and for what?. It doesn't matter whether your with Sky or Virgin ultmatly we're being taken for a ride and the powers tobe sit back and take the scaps offered them.

That's because speedway needs TV a damn site more than TV needs speedway, the complete opposite for football

Struggle to understand why anyone would think that TV needs to dance to speedways tune. At the end of the day its a minority sport which SKY use as a bot of a filler between their flagship sports

Time for everyone to realise that

Crap if you access Sky Sports via Virgin Media as there is no red button :angry:

That's because speedway needs TV a damn site more than TV needs speedway, the complete opposite for football

Struggle to understand why anyone would think that TV needs to dance to speedways tune. At the end of the day its a minority sport which SKY use as a bot of a filler between their flagship sports

Spot on my friend, top post :approve:

I agree that speedway isn't in a position to call the shots, but to prevent access to all Virgin subscribers is taking Sky's competitiveness to a new low.

I had a houseful of friends round this evening, and laid on food to enjoy the GP with both long-term fans and 'newbies'.

What a waste of effort, we ended up watching the Somerset match from Monday only to find that that transmission chopped off on the last bend of Heat 15!

Oh well, just goes to prove that there's no substitute for live racing - off to the Showground tomorrow weather permitting.

I agree that speedway isn't in a position to call the shots, but to prevent access to all Virgin subscribers is taking Sky's competitiveness to a new low.

Sky own Virgin Media Television, they bought it earlier this year.

So everyone's a Sky customer, whether they like it or not !

Sky own Virgin Media Television, they bought it earlier this year.

So everyone's a Sky customer, whether they like it or not !

Sky only bought Virgin's TV channels such as Virgin 1, Living and Bravo, not their cable service, in the same way that they didn't buy the airline or the train operator.

Crap if you access Sky Sports via Virgin Media as there is no red button :angry:

Subscribe to Sky then :rolleyes:

It's a better service with more channels before you even consider the fact speedway is occasionally on the Red button.

Sky only bought Virgin's TV channels such as Virgin 1, Living and Bravo, not their cable service, in the same way that they didn't buy the airline or the train operator.

I am with sky but live in a multi storey block of flats and only have one feed coming in off the communal digital aerial,we are not allowed to put sky dishes up any more, so i do not get the full service from sky plus, yet still have to pay full price for it all. Sky new i could not put a dish up but did not say anything when i signed up for it. I can record still but only what i am watching, i cant record a different channel whilst watching another.I was with Virgin for years in my previous home and would have been with them now only they do not supply it where i live now , so i had to go with sky. By choice if i had one i would have gone with virgin, not because of price but because in all the years i was with them i never had any problems with the tv, no lose of signal or anything because it comes from the underground cable, not like sky sometimes in bad weather. Mind you was glad i had sky tonight seeing as it was a red button jobby,but think it is really bad that they keep doing this with the speedway. I pay my monthly fee for sky sports yet all i watch is the speedway and then find i have to press red button to watch it, i think it is so wrong.Am considering having the sports channels taken off and going round friends to watch it instead and save my self the 18 quid a month.

I am with sky but live in a multi storey block of flats and only have one feed coming in off the communal digital aerial,we are not allowed to put sky dishes up any more, so i do not get the full service from sky plus, yet still have to pay full price for it all. Sky new i could not put a dish up but did not say anything when i signed up for it. I can record still but only what i am watching, i cant record a different channel whilst watching another.I was with Virgin for years in my previous home and would have been with them now only they do not supply it where i live now , so i had to go with sky. By choice if i had one i would have gone with virgin, not because of price but because in all the years i was with them i never had any problems with the tv, no lose of signal or anything because it comes from the underground cable, not like sky sometimes in bad weather. Mind you was glad i had sky tonight seeing as it was a red button jobby,but think it is really bad that they keep doing this with the speedway. I pay my monthly fee for sky sports yet all i watch is the speedway and then find i have to press red button to watch it, i think it is so wrong.Am considering having the sports channels taken off and going round friends to watch it instead and save my self the 18 quid a month.

So you got to watch the speedway, on the package you pay for and you're considering cancelling because of that?

Amazing.

Sky supports and sponsors speedway , thats the reason i have it , plus it shows the majority of the live footy matches and most other top sporting events , Sky puts its money where its mouth is to bring us these sports , so instead of whinging you know what to subscribe to instead of trying to go to cheaper options surely ???

I do realise it point i was making was speedway has changed for tv but what has it got in return so do we need it.

Prepare to be disappointed again - the 12.30am recording I have starts with an hour of rugby and ends just after the Gollob/Sayfutdinov incident..........

Where do we see Heats 17-20 and the finals now?

It's strange that all of this has happened just weeks after the BARB viewing figures have been amended to give more accurate numbers. //www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=51662&st=15

The figures on this thread suggest that Sky were over estimating viewers by, in some cases as much as 200% using their old BARB calculations. This would have misled the Sky directors and their potential, and existing advertisers, to the benifit of showing speedway as a live sport. Therefore relagating the sport to a minor position in their schedules.

Prepare to be disappointed again - the 12.30am recording I have starts with an hour of rugby and ends just after the Gollob/Sayfutdinov incident..........

Where do we see Heats 17-20 and the finals now?

Same problem here, i put in a disc to record it for 12.30am as advertised. Then find out i have rugby on and the speedway has been chopped, it is advertised as being repeated on monday morning at 11.30 on sky2 if anyone wants to take a chance and try and watch it then. :sad:

I recorded this direct last night whilst watching it and happy to do anyone a copy that wishes to watch it!

Just send me a pm