British Speedway Forum

OK, lets compare our knowledge of the situation.

I was witness to the original agreement between Sam and Nick Mallett that took Sam to Newport in 2009. Since Sam didn't return there this year I have discussed the situation with both him (Sam) and Steve Mallett and have correspondence to back that up. I can't (and wouldn't anyway) reveal details of who claims what is owed because it is an ongoing legal matter.

You know what the Malletts have chosen to tell you. Of course they know full well that anything they say to you is likely to end up on here and therefore you know part of one side of a story.

I never wanted to be yet another person on here having a pop at Newport, however since you can't stop talking about things you know little about and understand less here is a 100% definite, provable fact for you that would have little or no bearing on a court case.

The last time either Promoter of Newport Speedway spoke to Sam was on the 31st of January this year. Nick, who was then still Promoter told a large crowd of people repeatedly that Sam was riding for Newport this year and he couldn't wait for him to return. He told the same people that he was very pleased with the work Sam had put in and the equipment he had bought in the off season (money spent because he had been guaranteed a team place). On the Thursday we read that Mark Jones was the final signing for the Hornets and Nick Mallett would not answer his phone from that point on.

And then an idiot comes on here and says Sam threw the Malletts help back in their face!

I know full well that Sam basically had everything given to him at Newport Speedway in 2009, no matter what you say. I couldn't give a flying idiot what Steve or Nick have told you. He rode a Mallett bike for most of 2009 and he used to travel in Nicks van to away meetings. He probably got a lot more too.

As for what they told me, I am not going into this however I knew a hell of a lot more that went on at the club than you did. Nick may of slagged me off to you and Sam, I couldn't care less to be perfectly honest what he had said, it wasnt specifically him I dealt with regarding the website anyway, it was more with his Dad Steve.

Everytime Sam is mentioned, you obviously jump to his defence as he is your son and it is only right you try to defend him but lets just say, I live in Newport, Sam lived in Newport in 2009 and you lived in Dorset. I seen a lot more of what he got up to during the season than you did and I for one am not surprised he wasnt brought back for 2010.

I know full well that Sam basically had everything given to him at Newport Speedway in 2009, no matter what you say. I couldn't give a flying idiot what Steve or Nick have told you. He rode a Mallett bike for most of 2009 and he used to travel in Nicks van to away meetings. He probably got a lot more too.

As for what they told me, I am not going into this however I knew a hell of a lot more that went on at the club than you did. Nick may of slagged me off to you and Sam, I couldn't care less to be perfectly honest what he had said, it wasnt specifically him I dealt with regarding the website anyway, it was more with his Dad Steve.

Everytime Sam is mentioned, you obviously jump to his defence as he is your son and it is only right you try to defend him but lets just say, I live in Newport, Sam lived in Newport in 2009 and you lived in Dorset. I seen a lot more of what he got up to during the season than you did and I for one am not surprised he wasnt brought back for 2010.

He rode a Mallett bike for all of 2009 - as with the transport it was what was offered to get him there. Like I said I KNOW the deal that was done because I was there - you THINK you do

because it's what you have been told afterwards.

If you don't KNOW things for fact why not just leave Sam out of the conversations - he was nothing to do with this topic.

Whether he should have been back is irrelevent, the point is he was guaranteed a place repeatedly in the off season and nobody ever had the decency to tell him any different. I have never lived in Dorset either

Edited by Vince

He rode a Mallett bike for all of 2009 - as with the transport it was what was offered to get him there. Like I said I KNOW the deal that was done because I was there - you THINK you do

because it's what you have been told afterwards.

You have just proved my point, my whole point before you got involved was that clubs (even Newport) put together deals to make it easy for young BRITS to get to meetings and compete. Someone said promoters are happy to provide foreigners with bikes and transport but not Brits which is utter rubbish as you have just confirmed by telling us what Sam got in his deal.

If you don't KNOW things for fact why not just leave Sam out of the conversations - he was nothing to do with this topic.

I named a rider who I know had been provided for that was young and British, so his addition to the topic is relevent in my opinion.

Edited by Wanna

I really think that the problems have occurred because of lax management by the BSPA...

The BSPA should be watching for changes in visas and checking the UK Borders Agency before every season. To my mind they have a duty of care to the riders and should ensure that eveything is 'above board.' If a rider's career is affected by any decision/non-decision that the BSPA make I wonder if the rider could sue the BSPA?

Promoters should - I think - have their liciences suspended if they knowingly use a rider without the correct paperwork(hard to prove I know - if the BSPA aren't doing the job properly at their end).

Yes quite right suspend all the promoters that do anything wrong as suspected by you, so we end up with no promoters and therefore NO speedway.

Get a life

nov 2008 was when the new visas came into effect i think

Edited by shirlmeister general

The BSPA should be watching for changes in visas and checking the UK Borders Agency before every season.

Do you have any evidence to suggest that they don't?

Do you have any evidence to suggest that they don't?

Yes the Tyson Nelson affair!!!!!!

I never wanted to be yet another person on here having a pop at Newport, however since you can't stop talking about things you know little about and understand less here is a 100% definite, provable fact for you that would have little or no bearing on a court case.

Seems that anyone who disagrees with you doesn't know what they're talking about, Vince. Only one side to your argument as well, mate.

Seems that anyone who disagrees with you doesn't know what they're talking about, Vince. Only one side to your argument as well, mate.

There is no argument - what I have wrotten is, as said, provable fact. As I have also said it is only a part of the whole. The only reason I put anything at all is because wanna lied about Sam throwing it in their face. If he now wants to use what was clearly only part of a deal to back up his argument that is up to him.

3 people know exactly the deal that was made and wanna isn't any one of them while I am. Clearly you will know far more about the situation than I could but I take that for granted!

Clearly you will know far more about the situation than I could but I take that for granted!

No, mate, I'm only on here because an Aussie rider I enjoy watching, who has been through a lot in the past few years what with serious injury and family bereavement is the subject of the thread.

As for Sam I enjoyed watching him last year when I was over: he struck me as someone who was always ready to give it a go and I was disappointed for him when he didn't get a guernsey this year, although I thought he might have picked up a berth in another team but alas that wasn't to be. Any plans for Sam in the future or has he given the sport away?

Yes the Tyson Nelson affair!!!!!!

No. That was a case of Len Silver saying something to the MC that got misunderstood. As soon as it was realised a mistake had been made the situation was rectified. The reason the mistake was noticed was because the BSPA are aware of the current regulations.

No. That was a case of Len Silver saying something to the MC that got misunderstood. As soon as it was realised a mistake had been made the situation was rectified. The reason the mistake was noticed was because the BSPA are aware of the current regulations.

That doesn't square with the fact that Scunthorpe rode 'under protest' and the result took weeks to be altered. The time lapse seems too long for a misunderstanding...

It suggests that Len Silver eventually accepted the facts that rules had been broken - which, perhaps, as a promoter, he should have checked properly in the first place - and asked the BSPA before the meeting if he was unsure. Surely he knew that - at some point - he intended to try out/use the rider...

That doesn't square with the fact that Scunthorpe rode 'under protest' and the result took weeks to be altered. The time lapse seems too long for a misunderstanding...

It suggests that Len Silver eventually accepted the facts that rules had been broken - which, perhaps, as a promoter, he should have checked properly in the first place - and asked the BSPA before the meeting if he was unsure. Surely he knew that - at some point - he intended to try out/use the rider...

Len Silver did contact the MC before the meeting, that was where the misunderstanding happened. If Scunthorpe rode under protest then they were aware the Nelson wasn't elligible. The reason for the delay is, I suspect, because there is such a thing as an appeals process that has to be followed.

Therefore if Scunthorpe were aware immediately that a rider wasn't elligible to race doesn't it seem logical to believe that they would be aware of other riders that aren't eligible and protested them.

Len Silver did contact the MC before the meeting, that was where the misunderstanding happened. If Scunthorpe rode under protest then they were aware the Nelson wasn't elligible. The reason for the delay is, I suspect, because there is such a thing as an appeals process that has to be followed.

Therefore if Scunthorpe were aware immediately that a rider wasn't elligible to race doesn't it seem logical to believe that they would be aware of other riders that aren't eligible and protested them.

I would presume that it's easier to be aware that there might be a problem with visas when a rider is brought in during the season than one who starts the season. I wouldn't imagine that opposing promotions knew the return date of each foreign rider in the League - they should be able to presume that all paperwork is correct and has been thoroughly checked by promoters and the BSPA.

Why should opposing promoters need to know whether a rider has the correcr visa? That's the responsibility of each promoter and the BSPA. If all promoters abide by the rules there should be no problem. And if promoters/ the BSPA have a query as to whether a rider can ride they can always ask the Borders Agency...

I would presume that it's easier to be aware that there might be a problem with visas when a rider is brought in during the season than one who starts the season. I wouldn't imagine that opposing promotions knew the return date of each foreign rider in the League - they should be able to presume that all paperwork is correct and has been thoroughly checked by promoters and the BSPA.

Why should opposing promoters need to know whether a rider has the correcr visa? That's the responsibility of each promoter and the BSPA. If all promoters abide by the rules there should be no problem. And if promoters/ the BSPA have a query as to whether a rider can ride they can always ask the Borders Agency...

Which is what happens. Therefore I think it highly unlikely that Mark Jones and all the other Commonwealth riders who have been here since the start of the season have been riding illegally.