British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Deadline For Nl Fixtures

Oh yeah, forgot about the deadline. That's annoying!! There goes our chance to top the table. :( Our only chance would be for next week's meeting to be re-staged this coming Sunday, but I would doubt that it will be. It'll be a huge shame if/when the weather intervenes with the final league table, same goes for the EL, but that's life. :neutral:

Parsloes - Our two remaining home meetings v the southerners are at PB, not Monmore. Both were originally scheduled to be at PB but were rained off. We've had just the one NL fixture at PB so our lads are not so experienced around there. That potentially opens the door for a shock result. We did win that one fixture, v IOW, with plenty to spare though (60-33).

That's annoying!! There goes our chance to top the table. Our only chance would be for next week's meeting to be re-staged this coming Sunday, but I would doubt that it will be

If you beat Plymouth by more than 7 on Wednesday you will be top of the league as far as the play offs are concerned as Buxton arent riding their match at Kings Lynn till after the 12th

We've had just the one NL fixture at PB so our lads are not so experienced around there. That potentially opens the door for a shock result. We did win that one fixture, v IOW, with plenty to spare though (60-33).

I would be VERY shocked indeed if Plymouth turned Dudley over given the awesome form the Heathens are on. Smarty knows the track, as does Jake and when they have raced at Perry Barr they have all looked decent. Especially that Micky Dyer, obviously practicing for when hes in the 2011 Brummies side. :approve::lol:

If you beat Plymouth by more than 7 on Wednesday you will be top of the league as far as the play offs are concerned as Buxton arent riding their match at Kings Lynn till after the 12th

Newport have matches at Scunthorpe on Friday and Rye House on Saturday so they could finish top with two away victories but the great British weather could play a big part in deciding who finishes top of the league before the play offs!

It says TBA on the website, so I was assuming they would be pushing to get it on this week if at all possible. But as Will has said it's Newport that could yet be the threat. They have two away meetings this week scheduled before the cut-off date. Top spot is in their hands.

I would be VERY shocked indeed if Plymouth turned Dudley over given the awesome form the Heathens are on. Smarty knows the track, as does Jake and when they have raced at Perry Barr they have all looked decent. Especially that Micky Dyer, obviously practicing for when hes in the 2011 Brummies side. :approve::lol:

I would be surprised, and disappointed, too. But then I was surprised, and disappointed, when Mildenhall turned us over at Monmore. Just look at recent results around the country. Nothing is a given. You're got to get out there and earn it.

---------------------------------------------------------

What is most disappointing about the whole situation is that the hateful play-offs are going to ruin the most exciting end to a season I can recall. Buxton, the Heathens and Newport can all finish on 45 if they take maximum points from their remaining fixtures. How intense would the end to the season be if all three knew they needed every single race point available to take the title on points difference?! Instead I find myself hoping others have postponed meetings, a wish that doesn't sit well with me, because I think from our point of view finishing top of the table could be an important tool is sticking it to Dudley Council. :approve:

ive absolutely loved this season with the heathens back but must admit feel very disappointed with the way the nl and el have finished.which ever way you look at it its a joke.no wonder people outside the sport dont take it serious.im off for a pint with a non fan on thursday who carnt believe some of the things i tell him.wait till he hears about the cut off for the play offs.he will choke on his nuts :wink:

At the moment if all 3 teams finished on 45 points, buxton would finish head of newport, becasue they beat them home and away , newport and dudley both beat each other by the same score (59-34 at QM, 58 -33 at MG), but dudley would finish about newport on points scored and currently have a better points difference. Buxton beat dudley at home 47-45 but dudley beat buxton 49 -41 at monmore. Buxton have the better points difference and have scored more points than dudley but dudley at the moment have a match in hand over buxton against plymouth on weds @ PB. So by my reckoning it could finish like this

1. Dudley

2. Buxton

3. Newport

I'm not going to the permitations for 4th because it's complicated enough for 1st, 2nd and 3rd ! :D

My understanding is that it would be based purely on points difference regardless of the results against each other. If it were allowed to go down to the wire in a good old fashioned scrap for the title and all three finished on 45 then the current situation before the final few meetings would be as follows.

Team For Against Difference

Buxton 860 690 +170

Dudley 819 656 +163

Newport 782 664 +118

On paper it would be a tough job for Newport to bridge the gap as they would need two very big away wins or for both Buxton and Dudley to slip up badly. Again on paper it would be advantage Dudley with two home meetings to come and only a 7 point points advantage to bridge. But it would still require us to actually go out and do the business on track and who knows how many of the young and inexperienced riders involved for all teams would handle the pressure of it being so very close.

But as I said none of this is relevant thanks to the play offs meaning whoever ends up fourth could steal it away. :rolleyes:

Buxton

Newport

Dudley

at the deadline is my guess. And with apologies to the teams involved I haven't looked to see who can fit in meetings before the deadline for the fourth place battle.

How many fixtures do dudley have before the cut off? Is it just the match against Plymouth?

Personally i think the BSPA is a complete joke, this seriously damages the final league positions of the top 6 the cut off should be end of september with the PO's run within the first 2 weeks of october.

Edited by LFC1892

How many fixtures do dudley have before the cut off? Is it just the match against Plymouth?

That's correct. We have one league fixture remaining after the cut off date against Weymouth on Wednesday 22nd September at Perry Barr.

I should just add that I don't agree with any suggestion that the deadline should be extended. That's just moving the goal posts on a system I already don't like. I said the same of the EL deadline and I'm not going to change my mind just because my team is affected in the NL. I don't like it but the POs are the way the league title is decided and a deadline date is set at the start of the season...end of!

What is most disappointing about the whole situation is that the hateful play-offs are going to ruin the most exciting end to a season I can recall. Buxton, the Heathens and Newport can all finish on 45 if they take maximum points from their remaining fixtures. How intense would the end to the season be if all three knew they needed every single race point available to take the title on points difference?! I

-----------------

My understanding is that it would be based purely on points difference regardless of the results against each other. If it were allowed to go down to the wire in a good old fashioned scrap for the title and all three finished on 45 then the current situation before the final few meetings would be as follows.

Team For Against Difference

Buxton 860 690 +170

Dudley 819 656 +163

Newport 782 664 +118

Thank you for this. This is EXACTLY what I've been arguing since the play-off were brought in.. :neutral:

The likes of Malcolm (who has been viciously rude every time I suggest the p/os are a flawed concept!! :angry: ) may well argue that the play-offs lead to an exciting finish to the season but the truth is that nothing would be more exciting than the sort of three way battle going on now.

History shows us in all sports where they have a league, that exciting finishes develop organically: an example in the third tier of Speedway was ironically in the last season pre-introduction of the P/Os when it went down to the wire between Oxford and Wimbledon.

The truth is that by having play-offs to get some excitement out of a handful of end of season matches you risk making many main season meetings less significant and less competed-for than you would do if every point counted towards the championship. :neutral:

One sees this vividly in Rugby League whose flawed system we appear to have copied: with the likes of certain play-off finishers St. Helen's losing massively to Bradford in mid-season coz actually it doesn't matter, what does matter is the play-offs themselves.

What we have done is an absolutely classic case of 'baby and bath-water'...! :rolleyes:

Rye House are probably now in pole position for 4th place as they do have 2 meetings this week and out of the play off contenders they are the only team with a home meeting

Less pole now after a massive hammering tonite on the Island!!

Would be astonished if Newport Hornets don't come away from Hoddesdon on Saturday with a win too...

As I understand it current positions are:

4th. Plymouth 27 pts (pts diff: 55)

5th. Buccs 27 pts (pts diff: 33)

6th. RH 25 pts (pts diff: -32 AMENDED AFTER DEFEAT AT IOW

Noew it's over to Plymouth at Perry Barr tomorrow...: a first ever visit there... As said before that seems an unlikely place for the Devils to get the win which would all but clinch it for them.

And if they come away pointless that opens it up for the Buccs to grab at least a point at KL..